Hello

Fizz

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I'm new to veganism, have been reading How to Go Vegan, a Veganuary book I found. I started properly a few days ago, and am learning everything I can about vegan nutrition and recipes! Also finding as much info as I can on the horrendous treatment of animals, and the impact of the meat industry on the environment, and also the personal health benefits of this diet, because some of my family are going to be quite indignant about this and I want to be prepared with answers.
To be honest though, just learning about what we put animals through should be enough. It makes me ashamed. I wish I'd done this years ago.

welcome Fizz and congrats on your entrance to this amazing world of veganism

Immerse yourself!! is the best advice I can give you. If you have the time watch videos like What the Health and some of the other animal videos.

Watch vegan youtubers that have "what we eat in a day" videos, others who are activists and work for the animals, so many many great examples of vegan living out there.

Here are some of my favourites:

Maddie Lymburner, High Carb Hannah, Jon Venus, Jon's wife Katherine Moen, Simnett Nutrition, Mic the Vegan, Family Fizz, Dr Greger, Dr McDougall, Ellen Fisher, Jane Esselstyn, Happy Healthy Vegan, Plant Based News, Cooking with Plants.

Plant Based News, Livekindly.

If there are specific questions or concerns that you have, feel free to speak up as there are amazing people here who will help!

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and Fizz
Wow, thanks so much for all the suggested information! I will get looking! Someone had mentioned Okja on here and I watched that on Netflix yesterday. It really opens your eyes.
I'm definitely going to continue immersing. Thanks again for all of that :)

Reactions: Lou
You are most welcome - "What the Health" is very comprehensive, on the health side of eating a whole food plant based lifestyle, and is one of the ways to approach family members and friends as most care about their health before they realize they care about the animals and the environment.

Forks Over Knives is also good.

Emma JC

Reactions: Fizz and Lou
Thank you! I'm watching What the Health as I'm washing up! Love having Netflix on my phone. Will be sure to watch those others as well. Thanks again you guys.

Just watched this on YouTube and it is very good - healthwise.

Emma JC

Reactions: Fizz
Thanks for sharing! I've watched 20 mins of it so far, and it's really good. I didn't know that chronic diseases stemmed from inflammations, and it seems so obvious now that poor diet causes these problems. I really appreciate you sharing this, thanks. Got to get my boy ready for school now, will watch the rest later! Thanks again. Have a good day :)

Thanks for sharing! I've watched 20 mins of it so far, and it's really good. I didn't know that chronic diseases stemmed from inflammations, and it seems so obvious now that poor diet causes these problems. I really appreciate you sharing this, thanks. Got to get my boy ready for school now, will watch the rest later! Thanks again. Have a good day :)

I agree - so many things seem to obvious once we learn about them and we wonder... how didn't we know this before and how do we make sure others know about it. This forum is one of those ways and yet it seems like just a drop in the bucket.

Emma JC

I'm new to veganism, have been reading How to Go Vegan, a Veganuary book I found. I started properly a few days ago, and am learning everything I can about vegan nutrition and recipes! Also finding as much info as I can on the horrendous treatment of animals, and the impact of the meat industry on the environment, and also the personal health benefits of this diet, because some of my family are going to be quite indignant about this and I want to be prepared with answers.
To be honest though, just learning about what we put animals through should be enough. It makes me ashamed. I wish I'd done this years ago.

Adopting a plant-based lifestyle may make you feel unprepared, There are several reasons for this:
Uncertainty, Insecurity, a Non-confrontational personality, Instability, Unready.
You may want to wait until the right time to announce Your lifestyle choice. The right time shouldn't be based on ‘x’ number months vegan, or ‘x’ number of books read on the topic… rather, wait for a feeling that would arise from deep within whispering, “now is your time.”

I found this to be very reassuring for me adopting a Vegan lifestyle. Check out this great link for getting started Vegan .... https://al.ly/o4m3MO

Hello and Welcome! I became vegan in 2004. I was pescatarian before that. I tried to go vegan over 10 years before but it was before I went on the internet so I didn't really know much so I allowed my neighbour to talk me out of it. I wish I'd stayed vegan back then.