Hello Vegan World

BlueSpider

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hello Vegan world and Vegan forum members,
Hope you all are doing well. I strongly believe you are doing well, because by entering vegan life style/Plant based diet there is every chance of getting rid of all life style diseases, which are plaguing this world.
Me, 49 Yrs, vegetarian since childhood, Diabetic for the past 20 years, tried Keto diet to get rid of it naturally, but I was not so dedicated and thats not good. My experience is if you are not "Loyal" to Keto and venture in mixed life style it leads to bad results, which I mean to say when one mixes high fat diet with exceeding carbs limit in a day, fat becomes enemy for non-loyalists. Same thing happened to me I guess. I have been a great walker of long distances, but recently for the past 9 months, my walking ability has been reduced and in the past few weeks I see that after walking 600+ meters feel a kind of discomfort in chest and some pull/pain in both the hands. Also felt the same at times when I eat fully (not sure if that was over eating). Cut to the chase, had to visit a doctor on one afternoon immediately after lunch, I felt breathlessness, sweating on the upper body...getting worried if it was a Heart attack, in the hospital they gave some injections and aspirins and have put me in observation for 2 hours and then Doc told, not sure what it was but better to through Angiogram as ECG shows some T-Wave variations, which does not take more than 10 minutes. But I did not want to go through it as that becomes an entry point of a scary world leading to fearfully agreeing to surgeries/ICUs/Blockage removal/handful tablets/ etc....
So, wanted to take my own way, searched on symptoms and found that its a kind of "stable angina" . Stable in that phrase does not imply any good, but its better than bad.... that awakening has lead me to resume on my knowledge gaining experience. Have read Joel F, Mc Gregor and now reading Neal Barnard. While doing all these I thought, better to join a forum which can give the feel of some togetherness. Either to get advices from any knowledgeable/experienced members or give my advice to the new entrants who are trying to break the monotonous theme of "it's the end of the world"....
Lets Win this game with Will Power......Cheers!!

Last edited:
Welcome to VF! And congratulations on your decision to go the plant based diet route, although sorry to hear about the circumstances.

It sounds like you've already read some good material, so you're probably aware of things like the importance of vitamin B12 supplements, and the fact that not everything that is vegan is necessarily the best food for you health. Eating mostly whole-foods vegan and avoiding too much deep-fried foods and cooking oils is probably the healthier route.

Nutrition seems like a continuously evolving field, and it's not yet as mature as some of the other sciences, I think. So there is yet much to be discovered.

Welcome to VF! And congratulations on your decision to go the plant based diet route, although sorry to hear about the circumstances.

It sounds like you've already read some good material, so you're probably aware of things like the importance of vitamin B12 supplements, and the fact that not everything that is vegan is necessarily the best food for you health. Eating mostly whole-foods vegan and avoiding too much deep-fried foods and cooking oils is probably the healthier route.

Nutrition seems like a continuously evolving field, and it's not yet as mature as some of the other sciences, I think. So there is yet much to be discovered.
Completely agree with you. Thank you for the hint on supplements. I too have plan to buy B12 supplements. Not sure what others I need to have. Vit D3 - I strongly believe, can get from the Sun and that would be sufficient. Will take one step at a time.

Reactions: Emma JC
First off, welcome.

Do you like plant milk? is the plant milk in India Fortified with vitamins and minerals?
Three glasses of plant milk, or two if you take a multivitamin at a different meal can get you the B12 you need.
fortified plant milk also contains vitamin D. And calcium.
Not to mention that is a convenient source of protein.

Keto has had mixed results with diabetics. Even making it worse in some cases. And is you already know, requires you to be "loyal". Plus it's just a temporary fix. Even the Keto doctors agree it is not healthy to maintain for more than a couple of months.

The Whole Food Plant-Based diet as described by Gregar and Fuhrman is probably the best diet for a diabetic. I'm assuming you read Eat to Live and How Not to Die. You should add Barnard's Reversing Diabetes and Greger's How Not to Die from Diabetes to you your reading list. Although they all say pretty much the same thing.
Dr. Gregar and Nutrition Facts also have a lot of essays and videos on the subject.

WFPB is (IMHO) a lot easier to maintain than Keto. Plus it is a much better diet for your heart, too.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

First off, welcome.

Do you like plant milk? is the plant milk in India Fortified with vitamins and minerals?
Three glasses of plant milk, or two if you take a multivitamin at a different meal can get you the B12 you need.
fortified plant milk also contains vitamin D. And calcium.
Not to mention that is a convenient source of protein.

Keto has had mixed results with diabetics. Even making it worse in some cases. And is you already know, requires you to be "loyal". Plus it's just a temporary fix. Even the Keto doctors agree it is not healthy to maintain for more than a couple of months.

The Whole Food Plant-Based diet as described by Gregar and Fuhrman is probably the best diet for a diabetic. I'm assuming you read Eat to Live and How Not to Die. You should add Barnard's Reversing Diabetes and Greger's How Not to Die from Diabetes to you your reading list. Although they all say pretty much the same thing.
Dr. Gregar and Nutrition Facts also have a lot of essays and videos on the subject.

WFPB is (IMHO) a lot easier to maintain than Keto. Plus it is a much better diet for your heart, too.

good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thank you for the suggestion on Plant milk. Many (like me) not sure if a plant based milk is on sale in Indian super markets, but remember seeing Soy Milk somewhere. But will look for that. Otherwise I am planning to use Sesame milk. Coconut milk I have tried with Cereals and it worked...I did like the taste, but the same did not work with coffee.

We are on sync on Keto, appreciate your summary on it

Now I am reading Barnard's Reversing Diabetes, this book seems much simple with approach, and in presenting the content.
1. No animal products....zero
2. Minimize Oils...suggests to use spray.
3. User low GI carbs
am still reading through it, will comment my understanding once I finish it.

Yes, WFPB is rock bottom and its like back to the basics.

Thank you for the wishes. Will keep updating my progress

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
welcome to the forum and for your decision to take control of your health

You can't find a better resource for eating healthy and for overcoming diabetes than Dr Barnard (in my "loving" opinion) and we look forward to sharing in the joy of your success, as you go.

Emma JC

Reactions: BlueSpider
welcome to the forum and for your decision to take control of your health

You can't find a better resource for eating healthy and for overcoming diabetes than Dr Barnard (in my "loving" opinion) and we look forward to sharing in the joy of your success, as you go.

Emma JC
Thank you, happy that I am now reading that book. Yes, will keep sharing and motivating each other in this journey.

Reactions: Emma JC
Hello Vegan world and Vegan forum members,
Hope you all are doing well. I strongly believe you are doing well, because by entering vegan life style/Plant based diet there is every chance of getting rid of all life style diseases, which are plaguing this world.
Me, 49 Yrs, vegetarian since childhood, Diabetic for the past 20 years, tried Keto diet to get rid of it naturally, but I was not so dedicated and thats not good. My experience is if you are not "Loyal" to Keto and venture in mixed life style it leads to bad results, which I mean to say when one mixes high fat diet with exceeding carbs limit in a day, fat becomes enemy for non-loyalists. Same thing happened to me I guess. I have been a great walker of long distances, but recently for the past 9 months, my walking ability has been reduced and in the past few weeks I see that after walking 600+ meters feel a kind of discomfort in chest and some pull/pain in both the hands. Also felt the same at times when I eat fully (not sure if that was over eating). Cut to the chase, had to visit a doctor on one afternoon immediately after lunch, I felt breathlessness, sweating on the upper body...getting worried if it was a Heart attack, in the hospital they gave some injections and aspirins and have put me in observation for 2 hours and then Doc told, not sure what it was but better to through Angiogram as ECG shows some T-Wave variations, which does not take more than 10 minutes. But I did not want to go through it as that becomes an entry point of a scary world leading to fearfully agreeing to surgeries/ICUs/Blockage removal/handful tablets/ etc....
So, wanted to take my own way, searched on symptoms and found that its a kind of "stable angina" . Stable in that phrase does not imply any good, but its better than bad.... that awakening has lead me to resume on my knowledge gaining experience. Have read Joel F, Mc Gregor and now reading Neal Barnard. While doing all these I thought, better to join a forum which can give the feel of some togetherness. Either to get advices from any knowledgeable/experienced members or give my advice to the new entrants who are trying to break the monotonous theme of "it's the end of the world"....
Lets Win this game with Will Power......Cheers!!
Well at last you are reading superb experts. How not to die by dr greger is superb

Dairy and fish are full of heart toxic substances as well as murdering babies raping mothers and fish suffocated full of mercury plastic even.

When people have health problems from eating animal products....worth remembering the health of those killed had it worse too

Reactions: BlueSpider