Hello! New here! :)

LaDiDahDi

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hey y'all! I just found this forum and I think it's terrific! I have been what is labeled as WFPB (whole food plant-based) for nearly 2 years. I am also oil-free. I realize that is not what this forum is about and I feel the need to disclose that I'm doing oil-free because of my spouse's heart diagnosis. I prepare all the meals for the household and it is simply easier for me to eat the same way he does. When I am dining out, I do not eat animal products, but I do not worry about whether my food has oil in it and I do not worry about things being "whole".

I am a South Louisianian (aka Cajun). I grew up eating some meat, but I also did not take it for granted. My father fished a lot, and my grandfather hunted. Not often, though. To us, meat was more of a flavoring to other dishes. I do not often remember my mother making a cut of meat as our entree. I do not recall us buying meat in a supermarket until the 80s, and at that, it was not large amounts of it. We had lots of beans and rice (seasoned with homemade sausage or pickled/salt meat), greens, and other vegetables and fruits that we grew in our family gardens and/or picked (blackberries).

When I made my change 2 years ago, I was surprised at how easy it was to give up meat and seafood. Watching a few documentaries pretty much alleviated the last few pangs I had for the stuff. I found myself feeling awful for the animal suffering and being mildly thankful that my family wasn't as meat-centric as most. Meat and seafood are huge parts of the culture out here, but I am looking forward to sharing delicious vegan meals with my family and friends.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: TofuRobot
welcome LaDiDahDi

Love your handle!

Whole food plant based and oil free is welcome here, we have lots of great discussions about oil vs fat. ;)

Looking forward to your input.

Emma JC

Reactions: LaDiDahDi
Welcome, Di! I avoid oil because I don't want to end up with a heart diagnosis... It runs in the family and I'd just as soon not leave this world that way (plus, the less oil I consume, the more yummy food I can eat!). Either way - happy to have you here! :)