Hello! Is this thing on?

Brix58

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi everyone! My name is Brian and I'm working on adopting a vegan diet and lifestyle.

I came to this by meeting a woman and falling in love with her; she is vegan in the strictest sense in diet, lifestyle, and spirit. At first I tried vegan foods and largely stayed omnivorous, but as our relationship grew I understood how important it was for me to become vegan -- both for my own good and to be with her. I have been working on this for 2-3 years now, but still struggle with it. She says -- and I would imagine true vegans agree -- that I have to do this for me, not for her. But to deny that being together is a strong motivator for me would be a lie; if not for her I would probably be vegetarian, eschewing meat but not being completely vegan. Our relationship has now moved to greater commitment, as we got engaged. We would like to find a life together and to be clear, me being strictly vegan is just one of the challenges we face. I'll elaborate more on this aspect in a relationship post later on, but wanted to put it out there as to my reason for being here!

I have learned to enjoy vegan dishes - those I cook at home (thanks to following a number of Instagram vegan pages) or eat that my partner prepares, and those I can find dining out, especially Indian restaurants. I have gone through the 'plant-based meats' phase and have pretty much moved past enjoying those. I find if I cook -- and especially if I'm with my fiancee -- being vegan is pretty easy. Where I struggle is when I'm not with her (we have a long-distance relationship and spend a lot of time apart from each other), or when I'm at work functions where the options are usually pretty limited, and even in traveling when on a long flight and the meals are pretty much vegan-unfriendly!

My commitment to vegan lifestyle is based on healthy food choices (not wanting industrial-produced meat products) and the impact that meat-production/consumption has on the environment. While feeling strongly about animal rights and not supporting the industrial environment which abuses food-source animals, I am not as strongly motivated by this factor. As well, I came to this late in life (started when I was 61, now 64) and have many life-memories/experiences associated with meals. This includes things like Thanksgiving dinners, summer cook-outs, hot-dogs at ballgames, etc. This means I have a lot of emotional triggers associated with consumption of non-vegan food, which causes me to greatly miss it, and honestly, to "fall from vegan grace" at times.

In any event, I'm looking forward to learning from others and finding ways to complete my transition -- for myself, and for my relationship!

welcome to the forum Brian

I applaud your commitment to both your sweetheart and to veganism. It is so much easier to stick when your partner is vegan also, even when apart.

We look forward to sharing your vegan journey with you and also your contributions to the forum.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
Hello and welcome! I wish you luck and success in your journey.

Hi everyone! My name is Brian and I'm working on adopting a vegan diet and lifestyle.

My commitment to vegan lifestyle is based on healthy food choices (not wanting industrial-produced meat products) and the impact that meat-production/consumption has on the environment. While feeling strongly about animal rights and not supporting the industrial environment which abuses food-source animals, I am not as strongly motivated by this factor. As well, I came to this late in life (started when I was 61, now 64) and have many life-memories/experiences associated with meals. This includes things like Thanksgiving dinners, summer cook-outs, hot-dogs at ballgames, etc. This means I have a lot of emotional triggers associated with consumption of non-vegan food, which causes me to greatly miss it, and honestly, to "fall from vegan grace" at times.

In any event, I'm looking forward to learning from others and finding ways to complete my transition -- for myself, and for my relationship!
Welcome, Brian! My main reason for avoiding foods of animal origin was, and is, a desire to avoid harm to animals. But the consumption of meat does have an environmental cost- increased land use, for one thing. Quite some time ago, Frances Moore Lappe wrote "Diet For A Small Planet", which described how growing crops, feeding them to animals, and then eating the animals is a less efficient use of land than growing crops for humans to eat directly. (It is true that some land which is unsuitable for cultivation anyway can often be used for grazing- but overgrazing causes its own problems.)

In her book, Ms. Lappe also included a lot of information about how the proteins in vegetarian foods might be used more efficiently by the body if they were eaten in combination at the same meal. However, I think most authorities (including Ms Lappe herself) do not now believe that this combination at each meal is necessary. Eating a good variety of whole foods during the day should be sufficient for good health.

But sometimes problems can arise. For example, a few years ago at my general checkup/physical, I was diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency which needed a prescription-strength supplement. I had told my physician about my dietary restrictions, but had thought that my weekly sunbathing in the warmer months had given me an adequate supply of D. (That was why I had been doing it, and this was before the more recent concern over skin cancer from UV exposure).

Where I struggle is when I'm not with her (we have a long-distance relationship and spend a lot of time apart from each other), or when I'm at work functions where the options are usually pretty limited, and even in traveling when on a long flight and the meals are pretty much vegan-unfriendly!
I find if I cook -- and especially if I'm with my fiancee -- being vegan is pretty easy.
Would you say that preparing vegan foods is easier with your fiancee than when you are apart? How so?

Do you work for a company that would be interested in accommodating your dietary needs at work functions? If so, someone here may have suggestions for how to talk to them about that.

Air travel is trickier. I don't ever fly. Do they let you take your own food on the plane?

Would you say that preparing vegan foods is easier with your fiancee than when you are apart? How so?
It's easier because I'm cooking for two, rather than one. And when I've been in the same city as her (working remotely in my last job) we see each other more frequently, which means more cooking and leftovers.

Preparing vegan meals is time consuming, if you don't rely on too much pre-made. When I'm at my new work location, it's just me and the cats (who are not going vegan!) and I am just not motivated to spend that much time on food prep. Lazy perhaps, but that's the 'how so' you asked about. :)
Do you work for a company that would be interested in accommodating your dietary needs at work functions? If so, someone here may have suggestions for how to talk to them about that.
Actually, probably not. Long story ... let's just say accommodating my diet, even at the level of position I hold, is unlikely just because of how it is. Now when I host a division meeting, I have more control over the menu and I include something for everyone ... especially me! :)
Air travel is trickier. I don't ever fly. Do they let you take your own food on the plane?
Actually yes, if you are prepared to do it well in advance. We just flew out the other night and both of us grabbed something before we got the airport (because airport restaurant/kiosk food isn't any more accommodating than the airlines!), and that worked. Coming back today, she had leftovers from dinner and some carefully collected snacks from our travels. I unfortunately chose meals that didn't provide workable cold-leftover consumption. So I had to deal with what I could scrounge and, well, being hungry.

Reactions: bEt
Yes, good, fresh food prep does take time, and that can be true even with an omnivorous diet. One thing I have done is make really large batches of something and freeze some of it. Then in a week or two you can have your own customized frozen meal(s).
I also rely sometimes on canned or frozen items. If you are willing to think outside the box you can throw together a can of beans, a bag of frozen spinach or other frozen veg, some spice mix, maybe some 'treat' ingredient like coconut milk, some whole-grain toast, and have a meal.
Is there anything about meals that aren't vegan that makes them easier? Just familiarity and not having to think too much about it?--just guessing
Did you already talk about what or if you supplement? Are you already taking a b12 for example?

Last edited:
Reactions: janetandlrc
Is there anything about meals that aren't vegan that makes them easier? Just familiarity and not having to think too much about it?--just guessing

Easy availability. When you go to a grocery and they have the pre-made meals (either cooked or ready to cook) they're not vegan. Same for getting something from a restaurant (especially where I live which has basically no vegan options). When you don't have time, the meal options one can find are usually not vegan. One can eat vegan and do so quickly, but the options for making really good to eat (tasty) things takes time.
Did you already talk about what or if you supplement? Are you already taking a b12 for example?
I give myself B12 injections each week, and take a daily supplement of Vitamin D.

Reactions: bEt
One can eat vegan and do so quickly, but the options for making really good to eat (tasty) things takes time.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes, the availability of quick, tempting vegan meals ready-made is low in some places, unfortunately.
How do you feel about looking at some of your favorite home-made vegan meals to see if they could be adapted to making a big batch and freezing for days when you have less time?

I think I have a little difficulty relating, because I've never been picky about taste or texture, so I'm very little help on that count, I'm afraid.

I'm glad to hear you have the B12 covered! You are ahead of the game on that one. :)