Hello from Zurich! ⛰️

josetapadas

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello,

My name is José and I'm from Portugal. I'm currently living in Zurich (Switzerland) for almost 3 years now. Traveling back around 6 years ago I cut of the meat and still had some occasional fish (being portuguese was kind of hard to avoid it) and still had eggs and dairy. Fastforwarding some years after I've turned vegetarian and more recently i've now transitioned to stricly vegetarian (or some may call it "vegan", even though i'm still on the process of changing some of my personal stuff to also accommodate the full scope of the word as I still possess some personal Items that may have animal origin :(

I'm a electronics and computers engineer currently working as a webdeveloper (yup, life goes around sometime), I love to play music, I love nature and animals. I also extremely interested in food and my girlfriend works in a vegan restaurant and she he's also a cook.

Very glad to join this community!

Hi José! And welcome to VF!

Since you're from Portugal, perhaps you're familiar with the dish bacalao? I come from a town in Norway which at one point a century or two ago traded a lot with Portugal and Spain, so bacalao became the town's speciality. After I became vegetarian (and later vegan), I decided to try and make a vegan version. I'm a complete amateur in the kitchen though, and the photos are from an old phone many years ago, so not not the best quality:

I have no idea how this compares to how you make Portuguese bacalao, though.

Reactions: Val
whoa I have to try that!

Actually interestingly enough we don't fish it but there is a huge tradition about it in portugal! A friend of mine also lived in Stavanger (?) for a while and told me also tales about cod fishing in Norway!

Will definitely try that recipe and will let you know the difference!

Thank you!

Hello,

My name is José and I'm from Portugal. I'm currently living in Zurich (Switzerland) for almost 3 years now. Traveling back around 6 years ago I cut of the meat and still had some occasional fish (being portuguese was kind of hard to avoid it) and still had eggs and dairy. Fastforwarding some years after I've turned vegetarian and more recently i've now transitioned to stricly vegetarian (or some may call it "vegan", even though i'm still on the process of changing some of my personal stuff to also accommodate the full scope of the word as I still possess some personal Items that may have animal origin :(

I'm a electronics and computers engineer currently working as a webdeveloper (yup, life goes around sometime), I love to play music, I love nature and animals. I also extremely interested in food and my girlfriend works in a vegan restaurant and she he's also a cook.

Very glad to join this community!

We have many Portuguese people in northern California, United States. My grandfather came from the Azorean Islands of Portugal.

Reactions: Val