Hello from the middle of nowhere.

3catnight

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi. I'm new here. I've been vegan before, but I was eating a lot of junk food instead of healthy foods and gave up. I'm back on the wagon now and eating healthy food instead of junk. So far, it's working great! I feel good and I'm losing weight without being excessively hungry.

ETA: I live in a rural area, which makes finding specialty vegan foods difficult. Also, I come from a cattle raising family, which is another difficulty. Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited:
Ahh, well hello from the Center of the Universe!

You live in what is called a Food Dessert. but specialty vegan food is not necessary. some of them are even unhealthy and expensive. There were plenty of vegans before there was Impossible Foods and Beyond Burgers.
I bet they sell plant milks and tofu in the grocery store. and of course they sell veggies, grains, nuts, and seeds. so you have everything you need. Plus nowadays there is lots of places that ship. (like Amazon).

Anyway, look around here. you will find lots of recipes for non special vegan meals. There are even people who make their own soy milk and tofu.

Ahh, well hello from the Center of the Universe!

You live in what is called a Food Dessert. but specialty vegan food is not necessary. some of them are even unhealthy and expensive. There were plenty of vegans before there was Impossible Foods and Beyond Burgers.
I bet they sell plant milks and tofu in the grocery store. and of course they sell veggies, grains, nuts, and seeds. so you have everything you need. Plus nowadays there is lots of places that ship. (like Amazon).

Anyway, look around here. you will find lots of recipes for non special vegan meals. There are even people who make their own soy milk and tofu.
Well, it's not quite a food desert, though it is a literal desert. There's plenty of beef and pork. :oops:

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Food deserts can be described as geographic areas where residents’ access to affordable, healthy food options (especially fresh fruits and vegetables) is restricted or nonexistent due to the absence of grocery stores within convenient traveling distance.​

and in the learn something new everyday. I live in a food oasis.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Welcome to the group! I can relate as I grew up in Minnesota and Iowa in the heart of farm country on a farm! I now live in Florida which is a totally different world! When I have travelled back home, veggie options were hard to find!

welcome to the forum

Many foods in most grocery stores are vegan by default:
  • all produce aisles - fresh fruits and vegetables and herbs
  • frozen aisles - frozen fruits, vegetables
  • bean aisles - canned beans, dried beans, breakfast beans
  • canned fruits and vegetables
  • pasta aisle - most pastas and sauces, noodles
  • condiments aisle - vinegars, olives, pickles, ketchup, soy sauce, hot sauces, mustard, tahini
  • snack and bulk aisle - nuts, dried fruits, nutritional yeast, various grains, some potato chips
  • cereal aisle - oatmeal, Spoon Size Shredded Wheat, Shredded Wheat etc
  • beverage aisle - sparkling water, herbal teas, coffee
  • bakery aisle - sprouted breads, pitas, tortillas
  • dairy aisle - tofu, plant-based milks
  • and lots more
Good luck with your journey back to veganism and to health!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Many foods in most grocery stores are vegan by default:
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I don't think I have ever seen that phrase. Its a good one.

The one I commonly use is "accidentally vegan". Accidentally vegan makes me think that someone slipped and fell. Maybe they slipped on a banana peel and landed in a produce bin. Also Accidentally Vegan makes me think of the articles that come out around Hollidays about candy.

But yeah a lot of foods are vegan by default. Although some of those aisles are a little tricky to navigate. Is there a good phrase for those?

Welcome. I'm from Illinois, I moved to Mississippi. They have a good amount of vegan options here when it comes to groceries, not so much with restaurants. There's some, but not really much.
I usually get my food from Walmart or Kroger, once in a while I'll do Whole Foods. The most disappointing thing about living out here is no food delivery options, not even pizza. The stores are about 40 minutes to an hour away.
What kind of grocery stores do you have near you? Chain stores like Walmart, Kroger, Meijer, Target, Aldi, etc seem to have a decent amount of vegan alternatives.

The one grocery store near me has an extremely limited produce section which makes me irate. It used to be better, but for some reason, they cut it in half a couple of years ago when they remodeled. I drive 35 miles to a better grocery store for produce. Also, that other grocery store has some things like tofu and couscous.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever seen that phrase. Its a good one.

The one I commonly use is "accidentally vegan". Accidentally vegan makes me think that someone slipped and fell. Maybe they slipped on a banana peel and landed in a produce bin. Also Accidentally Vegan makes me think of the articles that come out around Hollidays about candy.

But yeah a lot of foods are vegan by default. Although some of those aisles are a little tricky to navigate. Is there a good phrase for those?
I look at the Kosher aisles for parve foods. Parve allows fish and egg, but they have to be listed as allergans. I find good boullion bases and soups there
I prefer the term vegan by default, and those foods are becoming more mainstream

The whole 'plant based' trend is p'ssng me off though! I saw an ad for Healthy Choice plant based dressing- of which I was curious about the ranch. The ranch is 'plant based', but has dairy. Like, isn't all ranch plant based with dairy?

The whole 'plant based' trend is p'ssng me off though! I saw an ad for Healthy Choice plant based dressing- of which I was curious about the ranch. The ranch is 'plant based', but has dairy. Like, isn't all ranch plant based with dairy?
Ahh. I think plant based still means vegan. Healthy choice uses the phrase "Plant Powered".
Their other Plant Powered dressings are vegan. so I kind of think that including butter milk in the ranch was a dirty trick.

There are a number of other brands that do make vegan ranch dressings. for instance Follow Your Heart and Daiya. so it is possible - Healthy Choice should have made a greater effort. Should we start a petition?

Reactions: Emma JC
Here's the ingredient list for Healthy Choice plant powered ranch

Ingredients

WATER, CAULIFLOWER PUREE, DISTILLED VINEGAR, CHICORY ROOT FIBER (INULIN), SUGAR, SUNFLOWER OIL, BUTTERMILK, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: WHEY, SALT, CORN STARCH, SPICES, GARLIC POWDER, XANTHAN GUM, ONION POWDER, POTASSIUM SORBATE AND SODIUM BENZOATE AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT QUALITY).

So it has milk, but it's not mostly made out of milk like other ranch dressing. Maybe for people who just want to eat healthier, not for vegans. That does sound tough without any good grocery stores. Can do stuff like delivery. I sometimes will get bulk Beyond Meat (40 patties) and May Wah. There's sites like GTFOitsvegan, vegan essentials. The online grocery stores seem to be over priced, but might be worth it if you're really wanting a specific thing that can't be found anywhere. I get vegan stuff from Amazon, but mostly things like hair care and cleaning supplies. Sometimes snacks.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I still have a very clear and distinct memory or something that happened over 10 years ago. I had inadvertently discovered that the hamburger buns (for my Boca Burgers) I had been buying for years contained some non vegan ingredients. Now I can't remember if it was milk, or eggs, or butter or whey. My memory is of me spending over ten minutes in the bakery aisle reading the ingredients (which was a little difficult without my reading glasses). I can't remember if it was that difficult or if I was looking for a selection to choose from.

Just realized that perhaps the little allergen warning that they put at the end of the ingredients in bold lettering would have save me a lot of that time. Maybe back then they didn't include those. Also can we assume that products that don't list milk and eggs as allergens are vegan?

when does due dilligence become obsessive compulsive. I'm thinking that perhaps if it took ten minutes to pick out the best possible vegan and healthy bun it would be worth it, but that would require the purchaser being able to remember the brand for future purchanses. I'm not sure I'm capable of doing that anymore. But spending ten minutes to read ingredients for any single purchase no longer seems like a smart or mentally healthy thing to do.

Fortunately I don't eat burgers very often anymore. although I keep some patties and buns in the freezer for when I run out of leftovers and don't have anything in the frig or don't have the energy to cook something. (fortunately that doesn't happen very often anymore).

I don't want to spend a lot of time reading ingredients. I also don't want to inadvertently buy non vegan things. from now on I'm going to rely more on the allergen info.

Bread can be hard, when there's things like dough conditioners that may or may not be vegan. There's lists of vegan breads online. I usually stick with Ball Park bread for buns. I use Nature's Own for sandwich bread, it's my bf's favorite. Dave's bread is nice sometimes, just expensive. It defiantly can be annoying when the ingredient lists are long and vague, and the only way of knowing is to call or email the company. Something I don't do, lol. Way too much of a hassle.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lou
I used to spend a very long time in the bread aisle reading all the labels! Now I mostly just use 100% wheat bread instead of buns for burgers.

I still have a very clear and distinct memory or something that happened over 10 years ago. I had inadvertently discovered that the hamburger buns (for my Boca Burgers) I had been buying for years contained some non vegan ingredients. Now I can't remember if it was milk, or eggs, or butter or whey. My memory is of me spending over ten minutes in the bakery aisle reading the ingredients (which was a little difficult without my reading glasses). I can't remember if it was that difficult or if I was looking for a selection to choose from.

Just realized that perhaps the little allergen warning that they put at the end of the ingredients in bold lettering would have save me a lot of that time. Maybe back then they didn't include those. Also can we assume that products that don't list milk and eggs as allergens are vegan?

when does due dilligence become
obsessive compulsive. I'm thinking that perhaps if it took ten minutes to pick out the best possible vegan and healthy bun it would be worth it, but that would require the purchaser being able to remember the brand for future purchanses. I'm not sure I'm capable of doing that anymore. But spending ten minutes to read ingredients for any single purchase no longer seems like a smart or mentally healthy thing to do.

Fortunately I don't eat burgers very often anymore. although I keep some patties and buns in the freezer for when I run out of leftovers and don't have anything in the frig or don't have the energy to cook something. (fortunately that doesn't happen very often anymore).

I don't want to spend a lot of time reading ingredients. I also don't want to inadvertently buy non vegan things. from now on I'm going to rely more on the allergen info.
For some things, but too many random ingredients invade seemingly innocent foods. Honey, enzymes, gelatine,
I feel like there are some components of dairy that don't have to be listed as allergens, but I'm not sure? They do need to list casien as "a milk derivative"
I was doing that for bread, as I don't obsess with undeclared enzymes, but found too much honey

Allowing myself to not be vegan has been the greatest factor in keeping me as vegan as I am. I almost had a breakdown at a CVS when trying to buy an affordable algae dha. They had a buy one get one free on their brand, and I had a cvs coupon. First thing I saw was fish oil in veg capsules- bottle made a point of veg caps 🤔 . I then found the algae dha-- big bottles! Such a buy! They were in gelatine capsules. I swear I spent an hour in and out and pacing that store. I had little money, and had proven how much those caps helped me. I did finally get them, and I got over it.
It was actually very thearaputic for me.
There are so many habits we can change to truly instigate change, and letting some honey, gelatine, or enzymes slip by is not the be all to end all

Know what does really rub me the wrong way? When vegans talk about buying non vegan foods and disposing of the non vegan parts--or buying vegan things for themselves and regular products for their families who would be fine with the things that happen to be vegan, but they cost more. This would usually be like cruelty personal products. If you're vegan for the animals wouldn't you rather not contribute your money than just be personally pure?

I wouldn't have guessed that veg capsules would have fish omegas, is it a kosher thing?

Getting a non vegan thing and throwing away the non vegan part of it really is pointless. You do the harm when the product is purchased. Consumed or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and shyvas