Hello from missouri!

Rin

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi! Shy newbie here, coming to you live from the heartland of animal agriculture, lol.

I’ve been more or less cold turkey vegan(with some stumbles along the way) for about five months now, and I’ve been working towards transitioning for a little under a year. The hardest part for me so far has been community...I hate to rock the boat, and I’ve found the social aspect of being vegan to be much more challenging than the actual eating transition(although that hasn’t been all sunshine and rainbows either!). None of my closest friends are vegan, and, in fact, I don’t know a single one irl.

So, I thought, what better way to end up more confident in my choices than to start trying to gain some community from fellow vegans? I’m looking forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome, Rin! I, too, am deficient in real-life vegan or even vegetarian friends. I have, however, found a couple of Meetup groups in my area so I sometimes go out with them when there's an event I can make. Maybe you can find one of those? (Meetup.com)

welcome, Rin!

Hang in there and search for amazingly tasteful recipes that you can share with your friends and family.

Emma JC

Welcome Rin! I'm in Missouri too. Yeah, not the easiest place to be a vegan, culture-wise. It can be a little alienating...but looking at it another way, you're probably the only vegan your friends know, which puts you in a good position to make an impact. Stick to your decision and your friends will come to respect you for it.

If you happen to be near Lake of the Ozarks, Pappo's doesn't put it on their menu but they have vegan cheese for their pizzas. And a really good beer menu.