US Hello from Eastern, Oregon US

TamaraB

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I a 69 year-old widow living in a cowboy town. Haven't been able to find any vegans nearby.

Funny thing is, the few vegan products carried by the two grocery stores in town are constantly sold-out so someone is buying the products.
's
I keep busy by continually remodeling my home. Love my power tools. Have no idea what I am doing, and that is what
makes it fun.
Starved for vegan interaction.
Please be patient as I learn to post correctly.

TamaraB

I try to engage in local social groups but it's difficult. I have tried a variety of strategies when socialiving

Hello lou!!
It's amazing how a distance of less than 300 miles can make a drastic difference in lifestyle. If I lived in Portland, Oregon, I would be up to my ears in fellow Vegans.

Were you living in a vegan friendly area, when you became vegan? I am thankful that I found veganism before I moved here 20 years ago.

I became vegan in the SF Bay Area which is where I still live.

People tell me its a very vegan friendly area. But from the info I keep getting from other VFers, its not nearly as friendly as England.

Hi TamaraB, and welcome to VV! You mentioned Portland, Oregon...I love that city. :)

Thank you for the welcome Emma JC and VF. Emma, I hope you are right and I do find friends here, Its lonely in the Wild West.

Twenty years ago when I married and came here it was a working cattle ranch. I put a stop to that of course, in the process I leaned things about the beef industry that would scare any meat eater vegan in a heartbeat.

When my husband passed in2006, the locals started asking what I planed to do with my land. I tell them I am raising a large herd of magic unicorns that only those with true wisdom can see.

The locals have pretty much given up on me.
I have tried to work with the local animal shelter but it is hard to understand why they would have a Barbeque to raise money for the shelter.
Again, thank you for the welcome. I look forward to learning and sharing, TamaraB

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
North Eastern Oregon is kind of crazy. I read that they want to secede from Oregon and join Idaho.
The good people of Salem said, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

I never got any farther east than Lakeview and hwy 31.

Thank you for the welcome Emma JC and VF. Emma, I hope you are right and I do find friends here, Its lonely in the Wild West.

Twenty years ago when I married and came here it was a working cattle ranch. I put a stop to that of course, in the process I leaned things about the beef industry that would scare any meat eater vegan in a heartbeat.

When my husband passed in2006, the locals started asking what I planed to do with my land. I tell them I am raising a large herd of magic unicorns that only those with true wisdom can see.

The locals have pretty much given up on me.
I have tried to work with the local animal shelter but it is hard to understand why they would have a Barbeque to raise money for the shelter.
Again, thank you for the welcome. I look forward to learning and sharing, TamaraB
Hi there, I am in Florida. Out West the whole economy seems dependent on cattle ranching. I like your humor. Yes many animal
organizations serve dead animals at their fundraisers without thought!. Even they need more education. peace.

Reactions: Emma JC
I a 69 year-old widow living in a cowboy town. Haven't been able to find any vegans nearby.

Funny thing is, the few vegan products carried by the two grocery stores in town are constantly sold-out so someone is buying the products.
's
I keep busy by continually remodeling my home. Love my power tools. Have no idea what I am doing, and that is what
makes it fun.
Starved for vegan interaction.
Please be patient as I learn to post correctly.

TamaraB

I try to engage in local social groups but it's difficult. I have tried a variety of strategies when socialiving
Hey girl, remember Howard Lyman, the 4th generation cattle rancher turned vegan. His videos, books may help with ideas.
Start a vegan potluck/meetup group! get on meetup.com or on facebook. Post flyers in stores that will let you. Anyone
can attend the potluck, just bring a vegan dish. I am starting one here in FL> once I get settled. I KNOW there are vegans
and wannabees in this area, I simply must reach out and create the space for that majic to occur. I also believe in the power
of prayer (I am not religious) and ASKING for connections. Use your knowledge to educate others and help them./ Peace.