hello from bill

bill northup

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
i am a 68 year old male. i have been vegan for 5 years. i had angina back in 2011 and switched to vegan. the angina slowly went away and now i don't have it anymore. giving up cheese was the hardest part but now there are many fake cheeses that i enjoy. i even found a king cake place that has vegan king cakes here in new orleans.

Reactions: JoannaM
Hi, welcome to the forum and I'm glad it worked out for you to go on a vegan diet. Sounds like it's given you cleaner arteries. I hope so.

Some of us find some vegan cheeses are not great, might be interesting to see which ones you reccomend.

i like "go veggie" brand mozzarella slices. they seem to be very close to real cheese flavor and also there is an "almond" brand type of pepper jack that is fairly close. i always used to have wine and cheese in the afternoon and i found it very hard to give it up. also pizza is VERY tough when you realize that you can not eat it anymore.

I'm struggling to find cheese that isn't absolutely 'yack'. I've tried making my own first with coconut milk (vile) then with cashews and dill (better, but nothing like cheese). The latter was ok on pizza, but just not enough like cheese. I've pretty much managed to veganise everything I need but cheese substitute is the holy grail. I'm going to the Yorkshire vegan festival and hoping that there will be some tasting bits there. If I find anything good, I'll let everyone know!

there is a brand available at Whole Foods called "Go Veggie" and they have some individually wrapped slices of mozzarella that taste like real cheese to me. there another go veggie called smoked provaloni... i love it too.

Thanks Bill. Found the website, looks fabulous, but they only sell to the US and Canada. Damn it!