Hello fellow Vegetarians!

toproman

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi! My name's Jen and as of today I'm a vegetarian. I've always been pretty animal friendly and environmentalist, but I never made the connection between loving animals and not eating them. It seems strange now. What got me to convert was a book series I just finished called The Keepers. It's the one by Rick Friar. I say that cuz there's some other Keepers book's out there. Anyway, I got into it cuz it's hi-tech Sci Fi, which I love. But it had a very obvious ideological undertone concerning the Green/Eco/animal rights movement in general, and particularly vegetarianism. I actually didn't know which side the author was on until the very end, but the ending cleared it up that Friar is indeed a Green vegetarian. altogether, the trilogy is nearly 1800 pages long, yet I read it within two weeks. Pretty amazing for me. It wove a story that literally pulled me to the page. I was barely able to put each book down, and by the end, I was a changed person. So, now I have no more want of meat, but I do have a severe craving for more veggie Sci Fi. So my question to you all is, what else is out there? Thanks to all who help me and look forward to being part of this community!

Welcome! I feel like I should know the answer to your question about pro-veggie sci-fi, but can't really think of much despite thinking hard. There's a short story by a Norwegian author back in the 70s that was probably never translated to English ... Let's see, I can't remember if Ursula le Guin's book The Dispossessed touched on the subject or not.

Anyway, I love sci-fi too! Glad to have more fans of the genre here on the board!

Hello!

Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood, while not vegetarian science fiction as such, deal with a lot of the issues with which vegetarians and vegans concern themselves. (Atwood herself contests the idea that the books are science fiction, but whatever she chooses to call them, they take place in a not too distant distopian future.) That is particularly true of The Year of the Flood. The action in the two books takes place pretty much concurrently, and a number of the characters overlap. Many/most of the main characters in The Year of the Flood belong to a vegetarian, environmentalist "cult."

I will have to try the trilogy you just read - it sounds very interesting.

Hey! It's wierd but I never got any emails saying people replied to me. I just checked back on my own and saw all these replies. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm going to check on the suggestions and get right back. By the way, did you all know Spock was a vegetarian since the original Star Trek series? I should've known. I'll be right back!

Reactions: thefadedone
Hey! It's wierd but I never got any emails saying people replied to me. I just checked back on my own and saw all these replies. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm going to check on the suggestions and get right back. By the way, did you all know Spock was a vegetarian since the original Star Trek series? I should've known. I'll be right back!
Good to have you back! You can change your preferences so that you'll automatically get email notifications for every thread you post in. (Some people find this annoying, that's why it's off by default.) In the preferences, make sure both "Automatically watch threads ..." and "and receive email notifications" are selected.