Survey Hello everyone

veganhomes

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hi everyone, I’m 17 and I’m doing a project about the vegan lifestyle.

When going Vegan, many people are only concerned by what they eat and the lifestyle rather than the other factors such as furniture or items at home. Are you aware of how many home products aren’t vegan? And do you know how many items used in our daily lives aren’t vegan?

Personally, I’m not vegan myself but I’m looking into a plant based lifestyle and I do a lot of research. I’m thinking about making an ebook on how to live the complete vegan lifestyle and incorporating vegan furniture and items into your home. Is that something you would find interest in?

If so, can you let me know and give me some positive feedback.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome @veganhomes :)

Most items in my house are of non-animal origin that I know of. All furniture and clothing, some old footwear and old belts are not. I am not the only person living in my house and I am outnumbered by meat eaters; but the meat eaters I live with are also not keen on any animals on their clothes or furniture, which is great.

Were animals displaced for the wood in my furniture? I don't know, but possibly which makes me sad. But I don't have a leather couch and I avoid buying an Alfa Giulietta because the glass roof came coupled with leather interior... no thanks! It stinks!

I always specifically ask for VEGAN when buy makeup; not only to get the products but to enlighten the sales staff :)

I have heard that many products are vegan but don't label as such because they have to pay for the privilege to right "vegan" and have to jump a lot of hoops (not sure if this is true - if anyone knows more about this topic please let me know :) )

I buy some locally made skin care which states "vegan friendly" bc there are no animal products and the products were tested on the Dr's clinic patients. I suppose that is a way to avoid paying for the word "vegan" but letting people know it is "vegan".

A veganhomes guide would be great.

Good Luck!

Reactions: TofuRobot
I am aware of a multitude of products in my home that are not vegan - my sofa, a couple old leather jackets (one I just sold on eBay and I'm going to list the other one), several pairs of shoes - I'm even aware that not all the fabric and or PU shoes aren't vegan because of the glues that are used. All of the leather items were purchases before becoming vegan. Many vegans ascribe to the philosophy of being vegan and don't use the word "vegan"as a means to describe their diet (unless it's coupled with the word "diet"). If someone only eats a plant-based diet and does not concern themselves with any other aspects of what it means to be vegan, they are not vegan, although will often mistakenly refer to themselves as so.

@betiPT - I do believe that you are correct in saying that it costs a lot of $$ to purchase the proper "Vegan"label to put on products that you sell, just as it does to have the "Certified Organic" label.

Thanks for your feedback @betiPT, it seems like a guide for vegan homes would have some good use.

It’s really good that everyone else in your home tries to prevent the use of animal items, so it’s not impossible to live a complete vegan lifestyle. Not being aware of animal products in your home products are common, that’s why I think it’s appropriate for vegans to know how they can have only vegan products in their home.

Also, it’s clear that you already know some of the basics, for example not using leather on your couch. Other than this there are many other factors that must be considered. That’s what I’m keen to look into so I can help you and others in a similar situation.

You can never be certain on the make or care products you’ve used, you never know what they could be using. A lot of research and gathering of information would be need to find that out. And I will be more than happy to assist you with that. I also think that they have to pay for the privellage to write ‘vegan friendly’ however, I’m not 100% sure.

Yes that’s great! Thanks for the positive feedback. It might take some time to gather enough research, but I’ll definitely make this guide, so that I can help you guys out. Also, don’t be afraid to drop down your email so that I can keep you updated.

Last edited:
Hi @TofuRobot

Would you consider the fact that many of your home items aren’t vegan, a problem? If so, would you be interestEd in a guide on useful vegan home products.

Also, it’s seems like I should do more research into the philosophy of being vegan, maybe this can improve my understanding a lot more. Thanks for your feedback, it was very useful.

Hi @TofuRobot

Would you consider the fact that many of your home items aren’t vegan, a problem?

I consider that if my subsequent purchases are not made with the utmost ethical intentions in mind, that would be a problem. By the definition of veganism, we do as much as is 'practicable" to reduce or eliminate harm. I cannot afford to purchase a new sofa right now. So, am I going to throw away my sofa and sit on the floor simply because it's leather? No, because that would be wasteful and impracticable for me. As for the second part of your question, I suppose if there were an online guide in the form of a website, I would refer to it. I wouldn't purchase one (a guide). The fact is, it's not the difficult to Google "vegan sofa," and it's also a fact that at this point in time, it's highly likely that whatever would come up as a result would be very much out of my price range, much like "vegan shoes" are, most of the time. In the meantime, I will go forth and make more responsible decisions in the future (and my future sofa will most definitely not be leather).

PS. Please don't let the fact that I'm disinclined to purchase a guide you might publish - I'm sure there are a LOT of people who would. You should absolutely do that :)

Thanks for the feedback @TofuRobot , and I understand your perspective and situation.

It’s not practical to completely switch up your home and to waste all your current home items. It would be a waste of time and money. Also, the vegan items up for sale are quite expensive, especially the sofas and it wouldn’t be ideal to spend that much money unless your completely able. Therefore, I understand your view on not wanting to buy those products.

Also if I was to make a guide I wouldn’t just include expensive home furniture, I would include things such as; vegan hair brushes, vegan tables, vegan candles or vegan rugs. Not all of these items are as expensive as a sofa, but can still be used as an alternative to what you already have.

Finally, thanks for your opinion and help. And you gave me a lot of positive criticism which will help dramatically when creating my guide. Also, I truly do hope a lot of people will fine this guide useful and will potentially get the guide. I’ll try my best to provide valuable information so that i can help anyone incorporate veganism into their home.

Also, you can always drop your email to stay in contact, in case of any new information or progress. :)