Hello everyone!

MaynardswifeAli

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
  2. Other
Ok so I'm here not because I'm vegan or even vegetarian (I was vegetarian before I met my hubby) but because I have some questions & thought you all are the best people to ask... ok so I'm lactose intolerant and my sensitivity to dairy has gotten worse and worse even with pills that are suppose to help, (I've been lactose intolerant since birth but now I think it's got to the point I'm so over the after math of even just 1 cup of milk or small bit of dairy. The results aren't pretty and are dang painful). So my questions are.... is there a good tasting cheese like product that I can buy to put on my food that isn't going to end up with me sitting on the porcelain god wishing I hadn't drank that glass of milk with dinner while I'm doubled over in pain from the dang the stomach cramps and feeling like my insides are about to come out? Would I find something like dairy free products better at a health food type store, a regular store or online? How much more expensive is dairy free products then regular dairy products. I know that's a lot of questions but I'm over the results of eating dairy and I know although it's going to be tough it's time to go dairy free. Thank you all for your time, please stay safe and have a wonderful day/night!

Reactions: Manish
:welcome: This is indeed an excellent source of information! There are so many non-dairy products available from coffee creamers to cheese. The non-dairy milks are varied and you should try several varieties to see which ones taste the best to you. I personally like oat milk the best though it is higher in calories and more expensive than cashew milk which is my "go to" variety. I haven't purchased dairy milk in so long that I do not know the price differences. I never was a huge fan of cheese so others can advise you about them. There are many choices! I never go to health food stores as they are super expensive. I find everything I need at my local Publix supermarket or even Walmart.

• Agree
Reactions: Val and Lou
Ok so I'm here not because I'm vegan or even vegetarian (I was vegetarian before I met my hubby) but because I have some questions & thought you all are the best people to ask... ok so I'm lactose intolerant and my sensitivity to dairy has gotten worse and worse even with pills that are suppose to help, (I've been lactose intolerant since birth but now I think it's got to the point I'm so over the after math of even just 1 cup of milk or small bit of dairy. The results aren't pretty and are dang painful). So my questions are.... is there a good tasting cheese like product that I can buy to put on my food that isn't going to end up with me sitting on the porcelain god wishing I hadn't drank that glass of milk with dinner while I'm doubled over in pain from the dang the stomach cramps and feeling like my insides are about to come out? Would I find something like dairy free products better at a health food type store, a regular store or online? How much more expensive is dairy free products then regular dairy products. I know that's a lot of questions but I'm over the results of eating dairy and I know although it's going to be tough it's time to go dairy free. Thank you all for your time, please stay safe and have a wonderful day/night!

Hi. I don't have lactose intolerance but I was under the impression that cheese doesn't contain much lactose. See the chart in the website below. So are you sure cheese causes you issues?

If you just want something like Parmesan cheese to sprinkle over your pasta - I highly recommend the product Go Veggie! It's available at most grocery stores. Ask your grocer. But you can also buy it online. And the veggie website has a store locator. link below.

Nowadays you can find lots of dairy-free alternatives at the grocery store. The plant milks are very popular. I like soymilk best but almond milk is the most popular. Oat milk is trending. Most of the plant milks are only a dollar more per half gallon. And they are almost all organic. Organic Cow's milk is more expensive. You will have to try a few to see which you like best. And if you buy a product that you don't like - just use it to make smoothies. The vanilla flavored ones seem to be the best for drinking plain.

Dairy-free cheeses are more expensive than their dairy counterparts. And almost everyone agrees that they don't taste as good. But it is a matter of taste. If you ask 10 people here about dairy-free cheeses you will get 12 different answers. I like Field Roasts Chao Slices. They are pretty good for grilled cheese sandwiches. And I can't stand Daiya's mozzarella - but some people like it on their pizzas.

I like Kite Hill's cream cheese alternative.

An up and coming brand is Miyoko's Creamery. They are sort of expensive but they may be the best. Below I have included a link to their website

I would also like to add that going dairy-free is not just good for your tummy. It is really good for the environment. And the dairy industry is maybe the cruelest industry there is. And dairy isn't' even that healthy for even lactose tolerant people.

There is an organization that promotes dairy-free. It is called Switch4Good.
They check all the social media boxes. Newsletters, Instagram, podcasts, and YouTube.
Their material is chock full of good info.
They have a good list of dairy free procucts.
I like their podcasts. And I think all their podcasts are also YouTubes.

Oh. I forgot to include this in my first response - you can make your own dairy-free cheeses. The Switch4Good peeps can help you find recipes.
Miyoko sells a recipe book.
And OneGreenPlanet is a good source of nondairy cheese recipes.

You have to find what works for you really. People don't agree on any food, but suggestions do really help.
I loved chopped salads with blu cheese, or feta cheese. I found that olives gave me the same kind of satisfaction, the fatty, salty and even texturally similarity.
I happen to love Daiya farmhouse block cheses--not the slices, not the shreds, just the blocks. Cheddar, jalepano munster, and I think it's provolone
I like Follow Your Heart parmasean shreds, and smoked gouda or provolone slices.
Now I avoid dairy only out of ethics. Through the years I'd have dairy and then kinda binge thinking I'd get really sick and not ever want it, that just never happened other than a snotty nose and cough the next morning. Vegan cheeses have much improved over the years, I compared Daiya cheddar block to a dairy cheddar and preferred Daiya. Cheese had been my favorite food.
Some people talk about nutritional yeast as cheesy. I don't. I thought after all this time I would say "oh it's so cheesey!) I like nutritional yeast a lot (aka nooch), and do make all kinds of sauces and sprinkle it on all kinds of foods, but I don't find it really cheese like- just more like other things that are supposed to taste like cheese. Like I just made a sauce with cashews, nooch, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and a bit of coconut oil for texture all blended. After heating it gets thick and forms a nice kind of 'crust' layer like you get from dairy cheese. Topping tortilla chips with a sprinkle of seasoned salt made it taste exactly like my memory of nacho cheese Doritos. Note the "memory" part! After leaving foods behind, which is hard in the beginning, you 'forget' just what they taste like. Like I'll make 'sausage' with tempeh oats walnuts and seasoning and say it tastes just like sausage and am corrected. people like it- but say no, no it doesn;t taste like meat sausage, just kinda the same flavor

Were you vegetarian your whole life? If not, did you always hate meat and never had to fill a void you missed, like in texture or taste?
For me, and I think most people, meat wasn't so hard as dairy, but even so I do make foods that change the texture of plant foods, like seitan and burgers
I think with dairy you have to quit, and find foods you like that have the kind of components

Ricotta- I mash or process extra firm regular tofu with lemon juice, basil, a bit of oregano, and if I can, minced olives packed in seasoned oil like you get from and olive bar. they have cured pepper and garlic bits! or roasted garlic

Roast garlic and onions and mash with a bit of lemon and nooch is a great condiment

Vegan mayos are wonderful and have helped me like recipes that are made of whole plant foods (I struggle to be wfpb!). My favorite one is Just Mayo, but Earth Balance and Hellmans Vegan are good, and 'some' Veganaisse

I don't often use non dairy milk, but did find Chobani oat milk--and esp their extra creamy oat milk- super good. Almond and soy differ a lot by brand, but I like those. I buy soymilk in shelf cartons that is just soy beans and water (Trader Joes, WestSoy) and make soy yogurt

Soy yogurt ( I guess others too) is great to strain through a coffee filter or cheesecloth to get really thick. I either sweeten it for a spread, or add jam, or, add some lemon juice for a sour creme type. It's also good to make a ranch dressing with blend of herbs.
and tzatziki--mix strained yogurt with minced cucumers,, or pickled veg, for dressing

Hello there...
Is any1 interested in soldiers diet? i can provide pdf of healthy soldiers Cook Book.
The recipies are from British army.
Simple, easy & quick to make
But it's not fully vegan, it contains egg recipies too.