Healthy Whole Grains

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
There are so many delicious and healthy whole grains which are both delicious and also contribute to making a meal filling. :yum

Carbs get a negative rap because so many people reach for the wrong ones: refined carbohydrates in white bread, candy, cookies, sugary cereals, and all sorts of other treats and drinks. However, a low intake of whole grains is actually the leading dietary risk factor for death and disease in the U.S., according to a 2019 study published in the Lancet.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a20706575/healthy-whole-grains/

Many of the grains that fall into the category of ancient grains are uncommon in the Western world, but are commonly used elsewhere. Examples include sorghum, teff, millet, and amaranth.

I have tasted sorghum, millet and amaranth which I didn't like because it tastes of beetroot. Millet goes well in cauliflower mash or when making biscuits. I also like sorghum flour when making pastry or cakes as it gives a nice nutty flavour. Barley makes the most tasty risotto and buckwheat is delicious when making porridge or soups.