Haunted houses and spirits

My dad swears he once saw The Monk of an old church building, I forget which church building, but it was one of the many the Protestants took over after the Reformation. Obviously, no monks have actually visited these churches for 500 years. So the superstition is that The Monk comes back to haunt them.

Are haunted houses real? I should have said ghosts rather than spirits. My father once saw an Indian while doing the lawn. He turned around soon afterwards, and saw nothing. He thinks it was a ghost. For me, I've never seen a ghost. Part of me would love to go to a haunted house, but I know it would be the kind of experience I would never forget. Not in a positive way though.

I haven't. I would like to, I think.

My Dad and Mom passed away back in the 2000s, and I've lost a number of other family members and friends, as well as animal friends, over the years. Lately I've been grieving them a lot.

I had a strange experience a few months after my mom died, where I feel like she came to me one night. She was just standing there in my bedroom. I was awake, having trouble sleeping and even shifted so that my head was at the foot of the bed. I just couldn't get comfortable. Then she appeared and I remember being frozen with fear because I knew she couldn't really be there. I hated it and told her to never come to me again like that.

I have since had dreams of her that were never frightening. I still don't know if it was really her that night but I don't know what else it could have been since I wasn't sleeping/dreaming.

I don't want to believe in ghosts and haunted houses. But sometimes I get these weird feelings like there are spirits around.

I don't want to believe in ghosts and haunted houses.
If ghosts do exist, I'd think that would increase the chances of an afterlife being the case. I'm much more worried that we die and nothing happens after that. For my own personal sake I hope I never see a ghost, but the possibility that they exist is much more a good thing than a bad one IMO.

Reactions: Tom L.
I grew up in a haunted house, so I believe they're real. Whether those that hang around are the actual spirits of people who passed or something else is another question.

I believe that supernatural entities can't approach or appear to you without some form of invitation, so disbelief acts as a block to visitation (which in some cases isn't a bad thing - I also believe there are things out there that aren't as benevolent as most ghosts).

Reactions: Tom L.
I don't believe that specific people's spirits hang around awaiting oiuja board questions, or haunting the room they died in, but I do believe there are energies, or *something*, I don't know what to call it.

I worked overnights in a large hospital, and witnessed and heard about some weird and inexplicable things.

There was also this old rocking chair I bought for $5 at a yard sale that I felt obliged to leave in the house when we moved out. I still don't understand the weirdness of some things I've seen.

Reactions: Dedalus and KLS52
There was also this old rocking chair I bought for $5 at a yard sale that I felt obliged to leave in the house when we moved out. I still don't understand the weirdness of some things I've seen.
One of the ghosts I grew up with used to wait until you were home alone and then flush toilets

- after the first time it wasn't really something to inspire terror, and I doubt that even if I wrote a book about it that they'd make it a movie.

-probably not the weirdness most people think about when they think "haunted house" either.

Reactions: Dedalus
After Thor died and I rescued Bogart I felt a presence all the time. Not sure what that was about. But something about Bogie brought out something because now that he's gone I don't feel it. It was really strange and it was always there. I like to think it was Thor telling me Bogart needed me.

I keep having dreams about my uncles visiting me (they both killed themselves) and I have dreams that they are trying to tell me messages. :lala:

I did hear my cat run up the stairs after he died a few years ago, he used to have a strange distinctive miaow and I heard him make it as if was running up the stairs to my bedroom. I sat up expecting him to jump on the bed as usual, which he didn't obviously.

My Dad and Mom passed away back in the 2000s, and I've lost a number of other family members and friends, as well as animal friends, over the years. Lately I've been grieving them a lot.

:hug:

We have some kind of ghost/spirit/whatever you want to call him at work.

You can hear running, dropping of heavy things etc from the warehouse, which is above the shop floor when there's no one up there. Customers have asked us who's running about up there? When you're in the office upstairs by yourself you can hear the doors opening and shutting, footsteps up the stairs & once an actual knock at the door. We've all noticed it.

We have all also seen a kind of black shadow moving about up and down the aisles. & it shows on the CCTV sometimes.I've seen him, only once though; he was wearing a black suit & a hat.

That & lots & lots more things that happen all the time. We name him Arthur :D

Back in November last year, an orb appeared to me whilst i was in my bedroom, it hovered about three feet off the ground for a few seconds and then came towards me and entered my body in the chest area. I didn't feel any great surge of energy or anything like that, which, looking back, i'm quite disappointed by. Since that time, i have become a lot more interested in finding about spirit guides and if they do really exist, as i believe that i may have been visited by one of my guides who wished to bring some sort of healing to me or perhaps impart valuable information into my being.

I received a channelled email reading from intuitive Karen Downing at Aurora's Message, where i asked about the orb that entered my body. This is her reply:

"Yes, it was one of your spirit guides in a way. The orb was actually a Higher Energy, one working in the realm of the Ascended Masters. They have the need to enter the body from time to time to accomplish a few different things. 1) To clear out your past life energy. 2) To provide intuition in the form of feelings or sensations in the body. 3) To help you gain confidence on your spiritual path. The name of the Higher Energy who was with that day is Nada."

We had some form of malevolent ghost or evil spirits in my dad's boathouse when I was a kid.

I was the only one sensitive to their presence though and they scared the absolute bejasus out of me.

Rather spookily they all disappeared around the time I learned to control my panic attacks .. :iiam:

After we moved into our house - one of the previous owners stopped by. He knew the history of the place all the way back to when it was built in 1900 because the family that built it and lived there for many years were still in the area. Apparently way back in the early 1900's there was a little girl who died when her dress caught fire. She was in or near a small farm building on the property that burned to the ground. He pointed to the spot in the yard where the event occured. They held her funeral in what is now our living room.

This news came after we had already lived there for 6 months. All that summer, our cat Lily - for many, many nights could be found in quiet vigil - sitting in the grass in the vicinity of where the little girl died. There is nothing but lawn there now - and yet night after night she was almost in a trance-like state at that same spot. I would go pick her up and she'd be a limp as a ragdoll.

And every once in awhile - in addition from hearing strange cracks and pops in the walls / ceilings, Lily and Finn also come into the living room and act like there is a bird loose - trying to fly out the windows. They are seeing or hearing something and trying to follow it - there heads shifting side to side looking upwards towards the ceiling.

I'm not saying there are or are not ghosts - I'm just reporting facts as I know them. Lily has (all cats really) exceptional hearing - I'm sure there are critters unseen that they can hear chirping away - both in the walls and underground. But it is still creepy now - knowing the history of what took place there.

I was just reading a book on supernatural encounters that I got for free on my kindle and I was getting creeped out.:D There was the story of a medium in the 1950s who gave a demonstration at a university and she went into a trance and she talked about a woman who had been buried alive because she was in a deep coma. They investigated and found the woman's grave and she had tried to claw her way out of her coffin.

Rosa Menichelli: The Ghost that was Buried Alive

I worked overnights in a large hospital, and witnessed and heard about some weird and inexplicable things.

I'm just about to read Nursing's Spookiest Ghost Stories.:)

Reactions: ledboots