Vegans-Has anyone spiked your food?

betiPT

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I love my grandmother, but she did try to sneak in LAMB BRAIN BROTH into my rice... yes, BRAIN BROTH.

This happened when I was around 16. I picked up on something not being right as soon as the dish was given to me and barely touched it. My intuition was confirmed when I overheard her minutes later saying to my aunt on the side, "she figured it out".

She never tried anything like that again, instead she made me lovely food such as giga baked beans, stuffed tomatoes and baked okra with potatoes, YUM.

When she was growing up, the Nazis took all the food away from the villagers and they were left with very little food and certainly no meat. So, she simply did not understand the concept of not eating meat by choice.

I love you and miss you yiayia!

This hasn’t happened to me yet with people I know and if it was a friend or family member I would be very displeased at the disrespect and deception involved. I’d forgive them, but would be hesitant to eat what they prepared for me in future. It sounds like your relative was testing you.

Reactions: Emma JC and betiPT
People seem to know better than to do that to me, or (I'd like to believe) the people i am surrounded by simply respect me enough not to do something like that. I did, however, grow up with my mom trying to sneak things into food that she knew I didn't like (I always knew), and i remember one evening they tried to force me to eat liver, leaving me alone at the table for over an hour (I didn't eat it). Even though i ate most meat at the time, I couldn't stand liver. ... I do not understand this kind of thing at all. I really don't.

I dont think so.

the closest would be getting gifts at work that are not vegan friendly.

you know the type of person that will put a piece of chocolate or candy on everyones desk during a holiday/event

no harm intended though so I just give it away

I don't think anyone who knows me personally has done it intentionally. Non vegans don't think about whey in granola bars etc unless they've spent a lot of time around vegans or maybe been vegetarian for years and years.

One time though I was in Panera Bread and veganized one of their meal salads, adding avocado etc and taking out the chicken or cheese. These salads are not pre-made, btw, which is why you can do this at Panera. I found a single cube of chopped chicken flesh, just a small one, and managed to stop myself from throwing it at the young guys making the salads, but I went off on them verbally in a restrained but pointed way. I got something small from the manager on duty, a free drink or something. My salad should have been comped.

Reactions: betiPT and hopeful
Yes, I lived in a place almost a couple of years ago that was a bad living arrangement, this one preparing meals knew I just wanted vegan meals, he snuck a little meat in one meal, and that afterwards he was just laughing about it. I just made my own meals from then on, and soon after moved from there.

...One time though I was in Panera Bread and veganized one of their meal salads, adding avocado etc and taking out the chicken or cheese. These salads are not pre-made, btw, which is why you can do this at Panera. I found a single cube of chopped chicken flesh, just a small one, and managed to stop myself from throwing it at the young guys making the salads, but I went off on them verbally in a restrained but pointed way. I got something small from the manager on duty, a free drink or something. My salad should have been comped.

I would have sent it back. Usually they offer you something else in exchange when you do that. If you refuse for whatever reason, they'll typically comp it. They should have definitely done that for you, IMO.

Nearly forgot this one...

Years ago I was traveling on Singapore Airlines. They gave me a "vegan" meal; but it looked like meat... it had striated bits that looked exactly like muscle tissue. I enquired and they "guaranteed" that it was vegan and that I was wrong. I left the whole meal.

Usually airlines are really great, but I knew something was wrong because usually they serve the special meals first and mine did not come; in fact I got mine last. I think they gave me whatever was left.

Yes, I lived in a place almost a couple of years ago that was a bad living arrangement, this one preparing meals knew I just wanted vegan meals, he snuck a little meat in one meal, and that afterwards he was just laughing about it. I just made my own meals from then on, and soon after moved from there.

Is that psychotic behaviour? Def not a balanced human. Glad you are out of that living arrangement!

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I don't think anyone who knows me personally has done it intentionally. Non vegans don't think about whey in granola bars etc unless they've spent a lot of time around vegans or maybe been vegetarian for years and years.

One time though I was in Panera Bread and veganized one of their meal salads, adding avocado etc and taking out the chicken or cheese. These salads are not pre-made, btw, which is why you can do this at Panera. I found a single cube of chopped chicken flesh, just a small one, and managed to stop myself from throwing it at the young guys making the salads, but I went off on them verbally in a restrained but pointed way. I got something small from the manager on duty, a free drink or something. My salad should have been comped.

Absolutely your salad should have been complimentary!!!

Nearly forgot this one...

Years ago I was traveling on Singapore Airlines. They gave me a "vegan" meal; but it looked like meat... it had striated bits that looked exactly like muscle tissue. I enquired and they "guaranteed" that it was vegan and that I was wrong. I left the whole meal.

Usually airlines are really great, but I knew something was wrong because usually they serve the special meals first and mine did not come; in fact I got mine last. I think they gave me whatever was left.

Ugh. Do you think if you'd said you were a vegetarian that doesn't eat eggs and was lactose intolerant you might have been served a vegan meal? If people have the idea that eating meat/dairy/eggs is "vegan" I've got to imagine either they've never heard the term or came across some Flexitarians calling themselves vegan.

I long ago concluded that there were two main causes for deliberately spiking vegan food.

Fred’s experience (post 7) is an example of the first where it is done out of sheer bloody-mindedness. Another example of this is the case of a celebrity UK chef, Gordon Ramsay, a guy with somewhat of a reputation for being a bit of a bully. One of his many sins was to give a vegetarian pizza to a customer. When it had been eaten he made the observation that the customer had not come out in a rash then fell about laughing. Palma ham, he said, is obviously not harmful to vegetarians.

bPT’s experience (post 9) is an example of the second where some people just cannot be bothered. They simply want to solve their inconvenient little problem with a minimum of hassle for themselves.

Another example of this happened to my son who asked if the stock in the vegetable soup was meat based or vegetable based. The helpful waiter went off to find out and came back with the story that it was chicken based but it didn’t matter because the chicken bits were so small they would never be noticed. It took my son some time to figure out the course of events that could result in such logic. He concluded that this was what the chef had said to the waiter not realising that the waiter would be so naive as to report the message back verbatim. He was supposed to lie and then everything all round would be hunky-dory.

I would like to believe that that the vast majority of people basically try in their own minds to always do the right thing. But there is always the small minority who do not.

A very high percentage of people would never dream of stealing from you. The reason we have to lock our cars, secure our wallets and not leave mobile phones lying about is because of the few, not the many.

Having said all that I still much prefer eating at home rather than going out. The food is always a lot better. :)

Roger

Yes it happened to me. I was told it was soya meat so I ate it. Then the person asked 'did you like it... Well actually it was real meat'
I was only a teenager and was trying to go vegetarian at the time.

Also when I was in hospital I suspect I was given food that was not vegan. I'd ask 'is it vegan". Instead of saying yes or no they said 'You've had it before' but that doesn't mean it's vegan. I got really paranoid about what food I was given after that experience.

Reactions: betiPT
Ugh. Do you think if you'd said you were a vegetarian that doesn't eat eggs and was lactose intolerant you might have been served a vegan meal? If people have the idea that eating meat/dairy/eggs is "vegan" I've got to imagine either they've never heard the term or came across some Flexitarians calling themselves vegan.
I agree with @rogerjolly; I just think they could not be bothered. The air hostess even claimed that she was vegetarian and she ate the same food to make me keep quiet. I could tell they felt bad when I did not touch the food and when they came to clean up the food was untouched (12hour flight).

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I long ago concluded that there were two main causes for deliberately spiking vegan food.

Fred’s experience (post 7) is an example of the first where it is done out of sheer bloody-mindedness. Another example of this is the case of a celebrity UK chef, Gordon Ramsay, a guy with somewhat of a reputation for being a bit of a bully. One of his many sins was to give a vegetarian pizza to a customer. When it had been eaten he made the observation that the customer had not come out in a rash then fell about laughing. Palma ham, he said, is obviously not harmful to vegetarians.

bPT’s experience (post 9) is an example of the second where some people just cannot be bothered. They simply want to solve their inconvenient little problem with a minimum of hassle for themselves.

Another example of this happened to my son who asked if the stock in the vegetable soup was meat based or vegetable based. The helpful waiter went off to find out and came back with the story that it was chicken based but it didn’t matter because the chicken bits were so small they would never be noticed. It took my son some time to figure out the course of events that could result in such logic. He concluded that this was what the chef had said to the waiter not realising that the waiter would be so naive as to report the message back verbatim. He was supposed to lie and then everything all round would be hunky-dory.

I would like to believe that that the vast majority of people basically try in their own minds to always do the right thing. But there is always the small minority who do not.

A very high percentage of people would never dream of stealing from you. The reason we have to lock our cars, secure our wallets and not leave mobile phones lying about is because of the few, not the many.

Having said all that I still much prefer eating at home rather than going out. The food is always a lot better. :)

Roger

Exactly right - eat at home... best way to go!

Reactions: TofuRobot
Yes it happened to me. I was told it was soya meat so I ate it. Then the person asked 'did you like it... Well actually it was real meat'
I was only a teenager and was trying to go vegetarian at the time.

Also when I was in hospital I suspect I was given food that was not vegan. I'd ask 'is it vegan". Instead of saying yes or no they said 'You've had it before' but that doesn't mean it's vegan. I got really paranoid about what food I was given after that experience.
That is terrible! Good on you for keeping with it despite all the obstacles.

There seems to be a trend for all people that have had their food deliberately spiked, they are younger in age or in a relationship where someone is controlling (acting as a parent).

What are your thoughts?

Well, as a result of experiences, not to mention testimonies of others, I am much less trusting than I might be. I really don't want to go out for food at restaurants, the exception is that with an all vegan restaurant I still find it reasonable to trust food is vegan there. Still when there is faux meat served there to resemble actual animal meat so closely I find it disturbing. I am over meat, and it wasn't hard to get over it, I don't have desire to have something very much like animal meat.

My dad repeatedly said I should go die/kill myself because I became vegan, and though now he has changed, I knew he used to spike my vegan food with milk and sometimes has a mini rage about me being vegan. My oat milk tasted a bit weird and though I had drank a lot the day before, it was nearly full. Should I be worried about him spiking my food, since he had no problem with stating that he thinks I should go die (I am 14).