Has anyone tried the Esselstyn diet?

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Has anyone tried it? Is it easy to follow after a diet with lots of salty and sweet foods?

I have not heard of it...will have to google it and check it out. :)

I put it in spoilers since it's kind of long. I didn't include the supplement section or below that since I don't have heart disease and it doesn't apply.

The Esselstyn Diet

This heart healthy diet is directed to those who do not want to develop heart disease and those who want to reverse heart disease.
This diet, as well as the Hallelujah and McDougall diet, will work for other chronic diseases, acute medical problems and also if your are just trying to stay healthy.
Foods to Avoid
The following foods cannot be eaten if a heart healthy diet is to be effective.
  1. Anything with a face or a mother. This includes meat, poultry, fish and eggs.
  2. Dairy products that include butter, cheese, cream, ice cream, yogurt, milk and skimmed milk.
  3. Oils: All oils including olive oil and canola oil.
  4. Refined grains: White rice, "enriched" flour products that are found in pastas, breads, bagels and baked goods.
  5. Nuts: Individuals with heart disease should avoid all nuts. Those without the disease can consume some walnuts which provide considerable omega-3 fatty acids.
Foods That Are Allowed
The following are foods needed to promote heart health by a cholesterol lowering diet.
  1. Vegetables - Just about all vegetables are permitted on this plan with the exception of avocados. If you are a cardiac patient avocados have a very high fat content. Those that do not have heart disease may eat avocados as long as blood lipids are not elevated.
  2. Legumes - Beans, peas, and lentils of all kinds.
  3. Whole Grains - Just about any grain as long as it is "whole" grain. "Whole" means that it has not been polished or processed to eliminate much of the nutritional value. You should eat breakfast cereals that do not contain added oil and sugar. Breads should be whole grain without added oil. Whole grain pastas are allowed. You should be careful of restaurant pastas that almost always contain eggs, white flour and some oil.
  4. Fruit - Fruit of all kinds are permitted. It's best to limit fruit consumption to three servings a day. Also, avoid consuming pure fruit juices since you get excessive amounts of sugar that will elevate your triglycerides. Be careful of all desserts for the same reason.
  5. Beverages - The heart healthy diet allows the following beverages. Water, seltzer water, oat milk, no-fat soy milk, coffee, and tea. Alcohol is okay in moderation...

http://www.choose-healthy-eating-for-life.com/heart-healthy-diet.html

But nuts and oils are good for you, and refined flour is ok in small amounts. Besides, who would want to live in a world without chocolate chip cookies?

Reactions: Freesia
Sounds kinda like my diet, except for the nuts. I have about a tablespoon of nut butter everyday. I haven't lost weight eating like this, though. But I do feel good!

Hey! This diet is specifically for people with heart conditions!
Dr. Esselstyn has documented results of turning conditions around previously believed to be permanent!
I get pretty riled up about this, not because I have problems myself, but a co-worker has been on his program, and it literally SAVED his life! And turned him from just a plant based eater into a vegan!
People say it won't work because it's too strict, but when you've been given your last rites, and your wife told to expect the worst, it's not so bad...
He went from looking like a overweight sad sack to slim athlete! That was about 4 years ago and he's doing great!
His son, Rip Esselstyn is a vegan firefighter with the Engine 2 Diet. Similiar but much less strict