Happy May Day !

Happy International Workers' Day :)

... and happy May Day too :) We've also got a three-day weekend coming up, so I imagine people here in the UK can put on their party hats and *really* celebrate tonight!

Edit: Ouch, it's only Thursday - I thought it was Friday already. The three-day weekend doesn't start until Saturday. Oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
If you like this song

you can get the whole damn album (legally) here.
This record is dedicated to working people of every nationality, age, color, and religion who have the courage to stand up for justice and dignity in the workplace...and beyond. Enjoy the tunes and fight the power!
But I'm kind of late to the party, so it may not last much longer.

Last edited:
Also, a little May Day history lesson from Rosa Luxemburg:
The happy idea of using a proletarian holiday celebration as a means to attain the eight-hour day was first born in Australia. The workers there decided in 1856 to organize a day of complete stoppage together with meetings and entertainment as a demonstration in favor of the eight-hour day. The day of this celebration was to be April 21. At first, the Australian workers intended this only for the year 1856. But this first celebration had such a strong effect on the proletarian masses of Australia, enlivening them and leading to new agitation, that it was decided to repeat the celebration every year.

The first to follow the example of the Australian workers were the Americans. In 1886 they decided that May 1 should be the day of universal work stoppage. On this day 200,000 of them left their work and demanded the eight-hour day.

Last edited: