"Handling" wildlife

IamJen

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this for awhile, but keep forgetting to post a thread about it. With our little one (or any little one), there are lots of opportunities for us to study animals that are in our house/garden that require some capture or confinement of the animal involved.

This came to mind again today because we found a lovely green grasshopper inside today (way up high on the hatch to the loft!). I poked some holes in a (large) yogurt pot lid and we caught him and set him free outside. Freya and I spent a while checking him out though, before we let him go. I talked with her about being careful not to shake the container, etc. so we didn't hurt him, and she was fine. I didn't really have too many qualms about a grasshopper that we'd found inside, but it reminded me of other situations that I was less sure about such as catching tadpoles or fireflies (something about which F is enormously curious and looking forward too). Another family we know catches the snails in their garden for a "snail house".

I suppose part of my ambivalence is that I don't know how much harm I'm doing to the life cycle of these creatures. Can a grasshopper feel stress? It seems unlikely. I don't want to overthink the issue, but I'm also cognizant of how these early experiences shape children's attitude toward animals.

My grandchildren are very interested in wildlife...bugs, worms, salamanders, frogs, etc. You bring up a good point. I'd like to think that if they are gentle enough that it would be ok to check them out. Lydia has a love/fascination for worms (ewwww) and often can be seen walking around with a handful. To be honest, I can't resist frogs/toads myself. I always pick them up, hold them up to my face and go, "OMG, look at you! You are so cute!", then do the fake air kiss, kiss, kiss...lol.
5ugyvy8u.jpg

CG, I suppose so, but sometimes I wonder about the value of little ones experiencing wildlife more intimately, that perhaps they'll be more sensitive/caring toward creatures as a result of these experiences, more likely to see them as beings that things. (I'm sure some make that argument for zoos though, perhaps).

KLS, we have a few frogs (toads?) in our garden too and Freya would love to hold one I think. :) The girl loves her animals!

Reactions: KLS52
I used to let my kids gently catch creatures and observe them for a short time (never overnight). My daughter made a book of drawings and descriptions of creatures that she still treasures as an adult.

Reactions: KLS52