UK Gregg's Launching Vegan Steak Bakes

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Reactions: Second Summer
Looking forward to it - hope it's not too realistic - but if it is, then I suppose to there are people who will enjoy that too, so it's all good!

Looking forward to it - hope it's not too realistic - but if it is, then I suppose to there are people who will enjoy that too, so it's all good!

Gregg's goal is to make vegan products that taste like the real thing. That is also why they are so popular not only with vegans but with flexitarians .

During my visits to the UK, I went to several Gregg's cafés and was told that the vegan sausage rolls were in great demand mainly because they taste so good. They use Quorn products and that's why the end result is so delicious.

Apparently, they are now working on a vegan doughnut.:)

Reactions: PTree15
I had their vegan steak bake several times for lunch on the go whilst I was in Sussex. I must say that the bake is absolutely delicious and the pastry is very light, not greasy and tastes more like flaky pastry rather than puff. Not only does the bake make a substantial lunch on the go but it is served hot and the filling (Quorn) is really tasty.
However, I did notice that depending on the branch the pastry wasn't the same. I gather that it is all due to how long the bakes are cooked which makes the pasty taste slightly different. The Worthing branch offered a bake that was out of this world as the pastry was divine ; whilst the Brighton branches all had slightly underbaked steak bakes.

All of the Greggs bakeries offerered both the vegan options ( sausage roll & vegan steak bake) together with their omnis options.

I also find that the value for money is excellent ; £ 1.50 doesn't break the bank.

1599804961571.png

1599807626567.png

Sweet potato & corn wrap.

This is the response further to my e mail that I has sent regarding the difference in quality concerning their VSBs.

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We love to hear from our customers.

We're please that you're such a fan of our Vegan Steak Bake.
We’re proud to freshly prepare food in our bakeries and shop kitchens every day.

Just to let you know that we currently have more than one ingredient list for the Vegan Steak Bake as we have regional differences. We're unable to guarantee which of these will be available in certain areas.

If we can provide any further help or information, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Kind Regards

I didn't realise that Worthing and Brighton where situated in different regions as they are only 12 miles apart!:D

I didn't realise that they had vegan doughnuts. However, I'm a fan of raspberry jam ones. I will give it a try next time that
I go to Greggs.
It's a very postitive step that such a successful bakery is offering so many new vegan products. :up:

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I had a steak bake yesterday. I prefer it to the sausage roll. I did look at the sandwiches too but I didn't see any vegan ones.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
I had a steak bake yesterday. I prefer it to the sausage roll. I did look at the sandwiches too but I didn't see any vegan ones.

Did you enjoy it? It was one of my favourite lunches as I was always on the go,when I was in Sussex.

It was lovely. I called my husband yesterday and told him to go to Gregg's to look for the vegan items on the list you posted on this thread. There was nothing vegan there as the assistant said they were waiting on a delivery.*Cries* lol.

I did just eat some Linda Mc C vegan sausage rolls instead. :D

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
It was lovely. I called my husband yesterday and told him to go to Gregg's to look for the vegan items on the list you posted on this thread. There was nothing vegan there as the assistant said they were waiting on a delivery.*Cries* lol.

Aww that's nice of him to do so. In Brighton all the Gregg's bakeries had all of the vegan options and they seemed to be very popular. I don't think that Brighton is a 'normal' town though! 🤣

• Friendly
  • Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and Raven

Have you tried Iceland's sausage rolls ? They are delicious and very inexpensive. I see that Aldi also stock frozen vegan sausage rolls.

I think I did try the Iceland ones once. I ordered the M&S vegan sausage rolls as Ocado is now selling M&S food but they brought the Linda McC ones as a replacement.

I think I did try the Iceland ones once. I ordered the M&S vegan sausage rolls as Ocado is now selling M&S food but they brought the Linda McC ones as a replacement.

I thought that the Iceland's very very good value for money. I saw that M&S are now part of Ocado and their food sales will surely soar.
I like their Plant Kitchen range but just couldn't manage to buy all their products during my stay.