Greetings!

JPL1957

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello from Dallas, Texas! I'm glad to find you and to get plugged in. I'm 60 (hard for me to admit it!) and work in the security field. I'm a veteran of the US Air Force, having served as both an enlisted member and an officer. When I was enlisted, I was stationed in Washington, D.C. and served in the Presidential Honor Guard. Very little weight gain was tolerated...and so, I started running then, in 1979. And ran consistently for 20 years. I primarily ate salads, pasta, and chicken, but also enjoyed all kinds of fruit. Then one day, I stopped running and proceeded to gain about 100 pounds. A couple of years ago, I changed to a plant-based diet and lost about 60 pounds (and I started running again). I was alone in this effort and copped out; I started eating a very poor diet and again gained that weight back. But now I have a granddaughter! Talk about precious! And I want to stay around to see her grow up...and so on April 6 of this year I goaled myself to loose 60 pounds in 6 months, when I would celebrate my 60th birthday. And I became vegan...once again. Three days before turning 60, I achieved my goal of losing 60 pounds! I'm now down around 70 pounds and run 30-35 miles per week. Again, I'm very glad to be here and look forward to learning from and with you.

Reactions: ScienceGal7
Congrats to you! Funny how kids can change things. I have had issues with weight, mostly from having 2 children and the weight never leaving. But it has been my kids (now young adults) who convinced and helped me go vegan and I have already lost 25lbs. I hope to get to the 60 mark like you!

That's awesome! My mom is in her seventies and wish she would be vegan! She doesn't like to admit her age either.

Happy Christmas everyone and thanks for your story JPL and best of luck to you!

Congrats to you! Funny how kids can change things. I have had issues with weight, mostly from having 2 children and the weight never leaving. But it has been my kids (now young adults) who convinced and helped me go vegan and I have already lost 25lbs. I hope to get to the 60 mark like you!
No doubt you'll lose the weight! I was so glad to hit the goal as I was becoming obsesses with the dadgum scales! I've not weighed in since...and don't plan to do so. Neither do I plan to go the doctor to get a blood test...just as a precaution! Instead, I'm going to purify my vegan diet (yep, I want to get completely off oils of any sort and be free from the junk).

I'll be paying attention to your success! You can do this...so naturally!

Reactions: ScienceGal7
That's awesome! My mom is in her seventies and wish she would be vegan! She doesn't like to admit her age either.
I looked up one day and was no longer 30 but 60. It went by so quickly. Now I want to make every moment count with a good mind in a strong body. In fact, both of my parents passed away in 2015; one from Alzheimer's and the other with a lesser degree of dementia. As a result, I want very much to keep my mind and body strong...and am reading all I can on this matter. I'm always open to new books or articles...so, if you can recommend any to me, please do. Thanks!

So sorry about your parents. There are so many diseases in this world :confounded: it's horrible.

No doubt you'll lose the weight! I was so glad to hit the goal as I was becoming obsesses with the dadgum scales! I've not weighed in since...and don't plan to do so. Neither do I plan to go the doctor to get a blood test...just as a precaution! Instead, I'm going to purify my vegan diet (yep, I want to get completely off oils of any sort and be free from the junk).

I'll be paying attention to your success! You can do this...so naturally!
I have been trying to get rid of oils as well. There does seem to be a few road blocks but fortunately I have blogs, facebook and Pinterest to help. Giving up the oils has been harder than going vegan.