Greetings from Finland.

DivineSpark

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hello, I am newbie here. I have been lacto ovo vegetarian for 16 years. I know very well how sadistic and cruel dairy industry is...I wanna go vegan but I am struggling. I use plant based cheese on my bread, but I still use normal cheese on pizza. I tried alternative milks such as oat, coconut and soy but I didnt like taste. Forgive me.

Hello, I am newbie here. I have been lacto ovo vegetarian for 16 years. I know very well how sadistic and cruel dairy industry is...I wanna go vegan but I am struggling. I use plant based cheese on my bread, but I still use normal cheese on pizza. I tried alternative milks such as oat, coconut and soy but I didnt like taste. Forgive me.
Dairy cheese is one of the hardest things to give up in my opinion, especially being that there are few really good alternatives. However, what I found was that the more I read about the dairy industry the more difficult it became to continue supporting something that's just as cruel, evil and unnecessary as the meat industry. At the end of the day it's an ethical question, and ethics has nothing to do with taste. 🤔

Pizza is tough.
When I would go out or take out pizza I would go cheese-less and it really isn't as good without cheese.
I went thru a phase where I made my own moxarealla, then for some reason I stopped. I just couldn't be bothered.
Now I'm making pizza at home with Trader Joes' shredded mozzarella (non-dairy).

but cheese is tough. If I had a nickel for every time someone said to me, I could be vegan but for the cheese.

The good news is that after a while of not eating cheese you get used to it and don't crave it (that much).
Also, 2021 is the year of the vegan cheese. Lots of new products are coming out. Stay tuned.

As far as plant milks go. There is nothing essential about milk in general. So if you don't like the taste of plant milks you just don't have to buy any. And IMHO, for smoothies and cereal it doesn't matter which kind of milk you use so you might as well use a plant milk.

Hello and hugs. I was lacto ovo for five years before going vegan. Honestly I recommend just going without cheese, especially being currently used to what real cheese tastes and feels like. When I first went vegan, the vegan cheeses were all horrible, disgusting things and I lived well without them. I do use some now that they have advanced, but also 26 years since I had real cheese.

But their is no failure, no need to apologize. Adapt to the diet you are ready to incorporate into your life and hopefully with time you will change. There is no timeline or requirements.

and for Milks there is Cashew which more expensive may be closer to what you like. But again, I typically only use plant milks when baking, recipes or in my coffee and not directly.

Reactions: 1956 and Emma JC
welcome to the forum

before going vegan, pasta was our excuse to pile on the parmesan... eat a layer, put on more cheese, eat a layer put on more cheese - when we first switched I used to make up the cashew based parm with nutritional yeast and now we just use the nutritional yeast itself, same habit just different ingredients, eat a layer... and so on

for pizza, we do use a plant based shred and a whole lot less of it than we used to when it was dairy cheese, I put on so many other tasty ingredients that I don't miss the loads of cheese at all and enjoy the few sprinkles that we do use

the biggest bonus of not eating dairy cheese anymore is the weight that I lost - about 25-30 lbs almost immediately and that was definitely due to the cheese, eggs and oil as we didn't really eat a ton of meat other than bacon on Sundays

I wish you all the best with trying to quit cheese, my fav plant-based doctor, Dr Neal Barnard 💕 , has a great book on the topic, The Cheese Trap.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: 1956