West Greetings from California!

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
In case anyone was thinking about moving to California, maybe this will help you decide. ;) :cool:

Maher: California’s economy is booming because ‘we’re tea party-free!’
By David Ferguson
Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:43 EDT

Friday night on HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher,” host Bill Maher pointed out that unlike most of the country, California’s economy is surging ahead, thanks to the efforts of the state Democratic Party and veteran Gov. Jerry Brown (D). California is going to drag the rest of the country kicking and screaming into the present, he said, if it can.

“New rule,” Maher said, “Conservatives who love to brag about American exceptionalism must come here to California and see it in person. And then they should be afraid. Because while right-wingers are taking over places like North Carolina and Texas and even Wisconsin, California is creating the kind of modern, liberal nation the country as a whole can only dream about.”

“And not only can’t the rest of the country stop us, we’re going to drag you with us,” he said.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/...onomy-is-booming-because-were-tea-party-free/

Quickly, watch the video before YouTube yanks it.

Reactions: Calliegirl
A while back I read on another forum with a somewhat more conservative membership that California was going to hell in a hand basket and that people there were packing up and moving away. I can't remember the details exactly, I will have to dig it up.

A while back I read on another forum with a somewhat more conservative membership that California was going to hell in a hand basket and that people there were packing up and moving away. I can't remember the details exactly, I will have to dig it up.
Yes, they were in pretty bad fiscal shape, but the situation there is improving. :)

Reactions: Amy SF

It's true that in the last couple decades there have been a lot of people leaving California, but that's mainly from the Southern California metropolitan area, and since there are millions of people in this area, it's not like it's gone from 20,000 to 20. We still have millions of people here, and there are babies born here every day. We still have a large enough population to have the highest number of elected representatives in D.C.

Yes, they were in pretty bad fiscal shape, but the situation there is improving. :)

That's because, as Bill Maher pointed out in the video, we have a governor who was the governor for two terms back in the 1970s, was the mayor of Oakland as well as the state attorney general and thus has lots of experience working in government, who loves government, knows what he's doing, is able to work with state representatives on a budget, and is willing to compromise. Someone the total opposite of his predecessor (Conan the Governator).

It's true that in the last couple decades there have been a lot of people leaving California, but that's mainly from the Southern California metropolitan area, and since there are millions of people in this area, it's not like it's gone from 20,000 to 20. We still have millions of people here, and there are babies born here every day. We still have a large enough population to have the highest number of elected representatives in D.C.

That's because, as Bill Maher pointed out in the video, we have a governor who was the governor for two terms back in the 1970s, was the mayor of Oakland as well as the state attorney general and thus has lots of experience working in government, who loves government, knows what he's doing, is able to work with state representatives on a budget, and is willing to compromise. Someone the total opposite of his predecessor (Conan the Governator).

Yes, and Californians' taxes were raised, providing more revenue, as well as the national economy improving.
-------

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...a-spending-plan-despite-surge-in-tax-revenue/

'“This is not the time to break out the champagne,” Brown said in revising his budget from January. “It’s a call for prudence, not exuberance.”

Brown’s conservative outlook in revenue in the year ahead is putting him at odds with members of his own party, who are eager to spend the additional revenue to restore healthcare programs and social services.

He announced a spending plan that is $1.2 billion lower than he projected in January despite the state receiving $4.5 billion more than expected from personal income taxes so far this fiscal year and a surge of revenue from the sales and income taxes voters approved last fall.

Brown’s Detailed California Budget Proposal

The administration is taking a cautious approach in what it estimates the state will have over the next 12 to 18 months. Its forecast for growth of personal income is lower in part because the federal government did not extend a 2 percent payroll tax reduction. The governor projects that personal income growth will be only half that originally forecast this year, falling from 4.3 percent to 2.2 percent.

Brown’s spending plan earned him rare praise from Republican lawmakers, who generally called hailed it as common sense approach.“We have common ground with the governor in a belief that we cannot return to a culture of overspending that drives new budget crises,” said Senate Minority Leader Bob Huff, R-Diamond Bar, said in a statement.

The governor’s budget, however, sets up a showdown with his fellow Democrats in the month the Legislature has to pass a state budget.Assembly Speaker John Perez, D-Los Angeles, called the governor’s budget pessimistic and suggested that lawmakers will not have to stick with the same revenue forecast. The Legislature’s nonpartisan budget analyst is expected to provide its own economic forecast.

Democrats control both houses of the California Legislature and only need a simple majority to send their budget to the governor."'