Great Parent

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
When a five-year-old boy began wearing skirts and dresses, he was often mocked or stared at by schoolmates and strangers.

So his father decided there was only one solution - to start cross-dressing too, as a show of support.

The family live in a small, traditional town in southern Germany, but Nils Pickert claims his radical decision has given his son confidence in his choice.

- Full story.

I'd recommend clicking the link, since it has a great picture.

I was just about to post this also. This story is so great! He is very fortunate to have such a loving and caring father.

I'm not sure I agree with Great Parent in this instance. If the kid was 15, not five, I'd agree 100%.. It sounds to me as if the boy was ready to put away (maybe outgrow?) the dresses and the father convinced him to put them on again.

This will probably become an embarrassing memory for the kid.

Surprisingly I find myself at odds with this. I'll have to get back with you.

I think the father was already a cross dresser
He would sometimes dress in a skirt or dress himself, during mild weather.

and so perhaps the son started doing it because his father already was?

i think that it'd be interesting to look at who started the wearing of skirts in the first place, in this case- dad or son.... but really, closed mindedness about clothes and gender in the culture in question, is at the crux of this one... in lots of other cultures and also historically, the wearing of non-trousery lower-body coverings by men has been a completely normal thing for yoinks, and not a big deal in the slightest.

so the kid wants to wear what effectively is a sarong, or a kilt. whoop dee do...

... lots of little south asian boys around here (and their dads) wear pink liberally. looks fine to me. :think:

I would love to have a cross dressing party. Only, I would want to come as a drag queen.

Who cares who wore the skirt first, father or son? Does it matter? We really need to stop seeing clothes (and colors, and toys and etc. etc.) as "for boys" or "for girls". "Crossdressing" shouldn't even be a word. It should just be "dressing"; and we should just let people be.

My male cousin often wears a long skirt in the summer. It gets very hot here, and skirts are just more comfortable in the heat. Shrug.

If it was socially acceptable to wear skirts, I'd go that way in the summer heat. They are far better at shedding heat than pants or shorts, IMO.

Oh well, one day we'll get to the point where gender doesn't matter what clothing you wear.

One day...

tumblr_m6zhiohJhf1rnrqtgo5_400.png

;)

Reactions: kazyeeqen
Who cares who wore the skirt first, father or son? Does it matter? We really need to stop seeing clothes (and colors, and toys and etc. etc.) as "for boys" or "for girls". "Crossdressing" shouldn't even be a word. It should just be "dressing"; and we should just let people be.

I think it's about trying to understand the story. I mean, what's the point of posting it if it shouldn't be discussed?

If it was socially acceptable to wear skirts, I'd go that way in the summer heat. They are far better at shedding heat than pants or shorts, IMO.

I don't really think they're so different from shorts, and they bring more attention to your style of shoe because they're dressier (i.e. you don't tend to wear very supportive and functional shoes with dresses and skirts the way you do with shorts and pants, which isn't great if you have bad feet). Regardless, can you wear a kilt? It's not super common, but I do see guys doing that with some regularity.

Polynesian men here wear lavalavas in the summer sometimes, they are like a man's sarong.

lava-lava.jpg

I don't really think they're so different from shorts, and they bring more attention to your style of shoe because they're dressier (i.e. you don't tend to wear very supportive and functional shoes with dresses and skirts the way you do with shorts and pants, which isn't great if you have bad feet). Regardless, can you wear a kilt? It's not super common, but I do see guys doing that with some regularity.

I don't think I've ever seen a kilt around here.

I think guys could easily wear culottes, which are somewhere between shorts and skirts

(argh - working on image - but put "men's culottes" into Google images if you don't know what I'm talking about)

From wiki, this is what I'm thinking of:
Another latter-day use of the word culottes describes a split or divided skirt[5] or any garment which "hangs like a skirt, but is actually pants."[1] During the Victorian Era (mid- to late-nineteenth century) long split skirts were developed for horseback riding so that women could sit astride a man's saddle rather than riding side-saddle. The term "culottes" was co-opted from the original French definition of the word to describe these split riding skirts. Later, split skirts were developed to provide women more freedom to do activities such as gardening, cleaning, bike riding, etc. and still look like one is wearing a skirt.[6]

but you can see on men, with this style, it still mostly looks like loose shorts.

I cannot tolerate loose clothing except around my neck. Stuff around my neck bothers me.

As for the article, I think the kid may be taking the wrong message from all this: "You only don’t dare to wear skirts and dresses because your dads don’t dare to either."
Well. I guess that's one way of looking at it...

I don't think I've ever seen a kilt around here.

You live in scary town, don't you? Kilts aren't too uncommon here. Utilikilt makes nice modern ones with cargo pockets and stuff and men look very much like men wearing men's clothes in them to me, i.e. socially acceptable.

Also about men in skirts; sometimes my man throws on one of my sarongs like a lavalava and looks well dreamy. I think men look great in skirts as long as they are... traditional menswear, somewhere. Longyi, lavalava, kilt, they all look manly to me.

I know this post is just full of inappropriate gender stereotypes and crap like that, but I don't care, I said it anyway.

In Billings, Montana of all places, we had a roller-blading drag queen who would skate all over downtown in full drag during the day and to my knowledge he had very few if any problems while doing that. It was truly a sight to behold. The thing that's interesting about Montana is that although you might think it is a hugely homophobic state... the old rule generally applies that if you're not bothering anyone... live and let live. I was sad to see him pass away, as I would guess many others were. He had become quite a fixture downtown.

In Billings, Montana of all places, we had a roller-blading drag queen who would skate all over downtown in full drag during the day and to my knowledge he had very few if any problems while doing that. It was truly a sight to behold. The thing that's interesting about Montana is that although you might think it is a hugely homophobic state... the old rule generally applies that if you're not bothering anyone... live and let live. I was sad to see him pass away, as I would guess many others were. He had become quite a fixture downtown.

Aww this story started out so happy! I'm sorry to hear that he passed away. :( He sounds like an awesome person.