450 ml (3/4 pint) hot vegetable stock
A few tbls of red wine or port
1or 2 tsps yeast extract
1 tsp tomato purée
1 tbs soya sauce
1 tsp onion powder
a few drops of balsamic vinegar
freshly ground black pepper
an extra knob of vegan margerine (optional)

Melt the vegan margarine in a small saucepan and sweat the onion and carrot. Cover with lid until cooked. Add the flour. Cook whilst stirring for 3 mins
over a high heat until golden brown. Remove from the heat and pour in the stock and wine.
Add the yeast extract, tomato purée, soya sauce,powdered onion and bay leaves. Bring to the boil (stirring )and simmer for 10 mins. Mash and strain.
Add the balsamic vinegar and an extra knob of vegan margerine , swirl the saucepan until the margerine
melts. This will give a shiny sauce.
00334078.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
I'm always looking for good gravy recipes...this sounds like a good one. I might have to make mashed potatoes and gravy today.

Reactions: Freesia and shyvas
Oh that sounds tasty, lots of flavourful ingredients in there. Usually I make mushroom and onion gravy, I like that it has lumps of vegetables in but it seems to confused dinner guests, I think because they think of gravy as something smooth ("what's with the mushroom stuff?" "that's gravy" "...oh"). So I will try this one too! I like the idea of the tomato puree also, it would go well with nut roast I think. :)

Thanks Shyvas!

Very similar to th gravy I make (Rose Elliot's Gravy) except without tomato puree and balsamic. Also I use olive oil instead of the margarine. And instead of the onion salt I just fried a whole onion beforehand and the onion stays in the gravy (or they can be strained out). This is why I wanted the marmite. I ended up buying Australian vegemite this year and I used a touch of that, had a really strong flavour and saltiness tho so I only used a wee bit.

Very similar to th gravy I make (Rose Elliot's Gravy) except without tomato puree and balsamic. Also I use olive oil instead of the margarine. And instead of the onion salt I just fried a whole onion beforehand and the onion stays in the gravy (or they can be strained out). This is why I wanted the marmite. I ended up buying Australian vegemite this year and I used a touch of that, had a really strong flavour and saltiness tho so I only used a wee bit.

This just a basic recipe and I also seen tomato purée in one of Rose's Christmas recipe books.
If you sautee an onion (and/or) mushrooms and use the stock it'll have much more depth. You can add anything you feel that will help contribute to making something that you'll like. That is what cooking is all about.;)

This just a basic recipe and I also seen tomato purée in one of Rose's Christmas recipe books.
If you sautee an onion (and/or) mushrooms and use the stock it'll have much more depth. You can add anything you feel that will help contribute to making something that you'll like. That is what cooking is all about.;)
I like a mushroom stock for gravy; it seems to give it a rich flavor. :) I'm making a Field Roast tonight, yum (sale @ Whole Foods). I forget if it has gravy with? If not, I'm going to use your recipe and a mushroom stock. :D