Vegan Grapefruit peanut salad

MorellaRat

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We tried this out for a special meal we had to celebrate Midsummer.

GRAPEFRUIT PEANUT SALAD

Takes: Moments

Special equipment: None required.

Ingredients:

1 grapefruit

1 red onion

Herbs of choice

Peanut butter

Method:

1: Prepare your grapefruit by top and tailing it with a sharp knife to keep it stable. Slowly cut away the peel and pith in curved motions from top to bottom.

2: Once peeled, hold the grapefruit in left hand, and with the right, use the knife to cut segments of the fruit out by slicing between the natural divisions. Be careful to save the juice.

3: Peel and finely dice and onion, adding that to the fruit. Sprinkle in herbs of your choice.

4: Stir a table spoon of peanut butter into the juice and use this as your salad dressing.

Reactions: robert85 and bEt
question... so is the whole salad just one grapefruit, an onion and some peanut butter? I like both grapefruit and peanut butter but raw onion doesn't like me very much

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: bEt
I think you can change it up and use spring onions if raw onion is a little rough on you (I try to avoid it when I can as well) or add anything else in you fancy. This serves about 1, so you can use 2 grapefruits if you want larger portions, but I'm very keen to avoid food waste and salads one of those big ones that can so easily get thrown away as it doesn't keep well.

Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
We tried this out for a special meal we had to celebrate Midsummer.

GRAPEFRUIT PEANUT SALAD

Takes: Moments

Special equipment: None required.

Ingredients:

1 grapefruit

1 red onion

Herbs of choice

Peanut butter

Method:

1: Prepare your grapefruit by top and tailing it with a sharp knife to keep it stable. Slowly cut away the peel and pith in curved motions from top to bottom.

2: Once peeled, hold the grapefruit in left hand, and with the right, use the knife to cut segments of the fruit out by slicing between the natural divisions. Be careful to save the juice.

3: Peel and finely dice and onion, adding that to the fruit. Sprinkle in herbs of your choice.

4: Stir a table spoon of peanut butter into the juice and use this as your salad dressing.
What about oil?

What about oil?
I haven't tried this recipe (yet), but peanut butter is mixed with the grapefruit juice for the dressing. That would be enough oil (especially if you used the non-hydrogenated, natural peanut butter that tends to have the oil separate out- that kind always seem oilier to me). I kinda in agreement with @Emma JC ; I don't think onion would taste very good in this, although I don't normally have problems with eating it. (This is yet another flavor I'll have to try, along with durian and jackfruit. I don't think I should try all of these at the same time, though).

Last edited:
Reactions: bEt
which herbs do you advice to this salad? Different herbs may suit different salads...