Good dairy replacements?

bluegirl123

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I have been vegetarian for one year and I really want to be vegan now. My only downfall is my milk and cheese consumption. What are some good alternatives that taste good but will also give me the protein and other nutrients that I need?

Thanks!

A lot of it has to do with taste. I think a lot of people think almond or oat milk tastes the best

I am a big fan of soymilk. Of all the plant milk it has the most protein per glass. It is also no more expensive than the others. It also has one of the lowest environmental impact.

Pea milk might be as good as soy milk but it tends to be more expensive and I don't like the way it tastes.

We have discussed many times before. At the bottom of the page i linked some of our older threads where we discussed plant milks. There are lots of others but I found these first.

I've also posted some good articles on the subject. Again there are lots of others but I found these first.

Hello & :welcome:

I find that the Alpro range of alternative dairy products are by far the best. You also have the Swedish brand Oatly which also have
excellent oat milk/cream and ice cream. My favourite plant based cheese is Violife. However, it all depends on your taste buds.
If your
favourite cheese is cheddar, none of the plant based really taste like the real thing and there is a time of adaption. I find that the best plant based alternative for melting is Tesco's Free From cheddar style cheese or Violife mozzarella style.

There is also a UK product thread where we try and list all of the new products that are available in the UK supermarkets.

Amazing! Thanks so much for both of your responses.
Great to hear your opinions.
I will definitely be checking out those articles, and I am now watching the new product thread!

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I really like the non-sweetened soy milk by Alpro. I find it doesn't taste as watery as other non-dairy milks. I always try to pick the ones that have calcium added as well :)

Reactions: Lou
I'm not vegan (my parents won't even let me go vegetarian, but I am still discussing that with them), but I found the most nutritious milk alternative is soymilk. All others have little nutrition, and must have vitamins added for it to be comparable.

I stopped drinking coffee a few months ago. but the desire for something hot and dark to drink in the morning has persisted.

For the last couple of months, I have been having hot chocolate instead. it's decadent but I need the calories. and since i make it with soy milk it is nutritious, too. I have been using Equal Exchange Organic Dark Hot Chocolate to make my morning cup. It's funny that it's mostly my morning beverage that I have to be careful to get the slavery-free brands.

Anyway, I ran out of EE so I asked my sister to pick up some chocolate-flavored soymilk. Most of the plant milk companies are careful about the chocolate they put in their milk. She got me Silk cashew almond chocolate milk. And it has 10 grams of protein from peas. I was a little skeptical at first until I tasted it. I really like it.

Reactions: PTree15
Soymilk is the healthiest plant-based milk. All others have low nutrient contents, and must be fortified to be comparable in nutrition to dairy milk.

Try making your own cheese - yogurt cheese take your "milk", add a yogurt starter and strain through a cheesecloth, and cottage cheese take your "milk", heat, add an acid, like lemon juice and vinegar and strain though a cheesecloth.https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Cheese. DON'T USE ANIMAL RENNET FOR CHEDDAR! It is made from calf stomachs. If you want to make cheddar, use vegetable or FPC(microbial) rennet.

I like rice milk because the flavor is really light. It may not be the most nutrient-rich, but it's good for cereal, coffee drinks, cooking and baking.

I don't know if you're into ice cream, but there is some amazing vegan ice cream out there. I can't imagine eating dairy ice cream again for any reason. The vegan options are so good, and much healthier.

Soymilk is the healthiest plant-based milk. All others have low nutrient contents, and must be fortified to be comparable in nutrition to dairy milk.

Try making your own cheese - yogurt cheese take your "milk", add a yogurt starter and strain through a cheesecloth, and cottage cheese take your "milk", heat, add an acid, like lemon juice and vinegar and strain though a cheesecloth.https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Cheese. DON'T USE ANIMAL RENNET FOR CHEDDAR! It is made from calf stomachs. If you want to make cheddar, use vegetable or FPC(microbial) rennet.
I have never heard of using veg rennet for vegan cheese! Have you done this?

Vegetable rennet can be made of extracts from fig juice, dried caper leaf, bedstraw, mallow, thistles, nettles, ivy, and some other plants.
FPC is made by putting the genes in calves that make rennet into microorganisms. Microbial rennet is made from some molds like Rhizomucor miehei.

Reactions: Urban Gardener
Vegetable rennet can be made of extracts from fig juice, dried caper leaf, bedstraw, mallow, thistles, nettles, ivy, and some other plants.
FPC is made by putting the genes in calves that make rennet into microorganisms. Microbial rennet is made from some molds like Rhizomucor miehei.
Yes, and dairy cheese can be made with either. I've never heard of any non dairy cheese being made with rennet of any kind, just fermentation

• Agree
What are some good alternatives that taste good but will also give me the protein and other nutrients that I need?

Here in Canada my wife and I buy organic Natur-a unsweetened soy milk and chocolate soy. I like a hot choc drink in the evening but add a teaspoon of cocoa with a little hot water add the chocolate soy bev then microwave for 60 secs, makes it less sweet and more chocolatey. The plain soy is just plain and natural.

I used to use vegan creamer for coffee, now I just use vanilla almond milk and some chocolate powder.
Miyoko makes the best vegan cheese so far, it’s made out of cashews. It is expensive but well worth it as an occasional snack. 365 makes some good vegan cheese, I like their smoked gouda.

I have never heard of using veg rennet for vegan cheese! Have you done this?

All the artisan plant based cheese companies (Bella cheeze, Nutcrafter, Tyne, etc) use ferments. This enables the plant based option to have a similar taste to dairy.

Some years back one of my Yoga teachers made Vegan cheese with cashews, the business just kept growing . . .

Home - Nuts For Cheese - Cashew Cheese, Dairy Free Cheese, Vegan Cheese

Nuts-For-Cheese-vegfest.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
All the artisan plant based cheese companies (Bella cheeze, Nutcrafter, Tyne, etc) use ferments. This enables the plant based option to have a similar taste to dairy.

Well, yes, they use cultures, probiotics, rejuvalac and aging, but I was asking about veg rennet. I've never heard of veg rennet used in vegan cheese.

Well, yes, they use cultures, probiotics, rejuvalac and aging, but I was asking about veg rennet. I've never heard of veg rennet used in vegan cheese.

Vegan rennet is used for making dairy cheeses so I don't see why it wouldn't be used for plant based cheese.

Vegan rennet is used for making dairy cheeses so I don't see why it wouldn't be used for plant based cheese.
Ever seen it used? I've followed vegan cheese threads and have never seen any rennet used in non dairy cheese, only for vegetarian dairy.
I was simply interested in whether they knew something different. It's a coagulant/thickener for dairy milk and doesn't seem to have a purpose in non dairy cheese