Going vegan... Experience?

carrotcake

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi guys! I have recently decided to go vegan (I was a vegetarian) and I wanted to ask around if you found it hard to make the switch. Are there any basic tips you can give me?

Try to eat healthful foods. This doesn't have to be expensive. Wholefoods like beans and lentils are great are cheap and good for you. Lentil soup can be delicious.

Make sure to supplement with vitamin B12 and D. If you're in the UK or thereabouts, you can purchase the Vegan Society's Veg1 supplement.

Prepare in advance for social situations that might otherwise leave you hungry. (Research menus before you go to pubs, restaurants and such, bring your own food to BBQs and similar.)

Don't be afraid to ask about options in restaurants, and ask if they can leave out e.g. the cheese to make a vegetarian dish vegan.

If you bake, and by your forum name, I'm assuming you might ;), there are several things you can use to replace eggs: EnerG egg replacer (which I find in the regular grocery store), ground flaxseed and water, and even tofu in some cases. It really depends on what you are making. I find that the flaxseed mixture works well in quick breads and some cakes. I use EnerG for a lot of cookie recipes and such. I have a book called "The Joy of Vegan Baking," which has some awesome recipes in it along with wonderful tips for vegan baking. I also would recommend "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World." Find these books in the library first and check them to see whether they'd be worth buying. I love both of them. Every time I make cupcakes from VCTOTW, I get looks of "OMG these can't really be vegan because they are so delicious!"

For butter I recommend oil or Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks. The sticks work great in cookie recipes. EB also makes a shortening in stick form as well, though I still use vegetable shortening for the most part.

Silken tofu makes great puddings.

I second IS's suggestion about asking for options in restaurants. I have had some wonderful dishes in certain restaurants, as sometimes, chefs/cooks like the challenge of coming up with something tasty and satisfying off the menu. It never hurts to ask. Even in burger places I've gotten the cooks to stir-fry a bunch of vegetables they use for toppings and had them in a wrap or on a bun.

Reactions: Poppy
I would suggest that you not try vegan cheeses right away. I've known s lot of people who've gone vegan and most are disappointed with the vegan cheese options. So try ordering food without cheese for a while, just to rid your palate of the taste ( extra salt and herbs help!). When you've become used to eating without cheese, then try vegan cheeses, just don't expect them to taste exactly like cow cheese because they don't. And please ask for advice - there are some horrible vegan cheese out there. Good luck!

I would suggest that you not try vegan cheeses right away. I've known s lot of people who've gone vegan and most are disappointed with the vegan cheese options. So try ordering food without cheese for a while, just to rid your palate of the taste ( extra salt and herbs help!). When you've become used to eating without cheese, then try vegan cheeses, just don't expect them to taste exactly like cow cheese because they don't. And please ask for advice - there are some horrible vegan cheese out there. Good luck!
I agree. I waited a good three years before I tried any vegan cheeses.

Totally agree.

I'd say more like, don't expect them to taste just like their counterparts. I mean, non dairy milks don't taste like milk, but most think they're good if not better.
Sometimes I'll use vegan cheese more to give a textural change- like Trader Joes vegan mozz isn't tasty, but it gives enchilada filling such a nice creaminess and holds it all together
Definitely try the cashew cheese recipes! Vegan mayo (whether you like mayo on its own or not) adds a lot of richness to dishes.
Just adding some fat and acidity and salt to things can really amp up the flavor

I would suggest that you not try vegan cheeses right away. I've known s lot of people who've gone vegan and most are disappointed with the vegan cheese options.

I fully endorse that. When I went vegan after reading "Eating Animals", I completely stopped to consume cheese, and only after some months tried out a few vegan cheese options. Needless to say, most were quite disappointing (but there are a few nice ones, e.g. Vegusto's "No-Moo").

But not consuming any for some time made me appreciate the little consolation they are now bringing me.

Other than that, I personally would suggest to simply stop the consumption of dairy and eggs - it took me only a short time to get used to soymilk instead of dairy milk. If I had continued to use some animal products (e.g. starting with "one vegan day per week" or similar), I don't think it would have been easier, at least not for me.

Reactions: carrotcake
I appreciate everyone's input! You've helped me a lot, so here's a little update.

I'm doing just fine living vegan. I don't miss animal products that much in my diet but it's certainly hard to fully live as a vegan. I'm trying to stay off cleaning products etc that use animal products or test on animals. You can't just shop mindlessly now and need to be aware of everything, make sure you've researched everything you buy. I'm glad there's a thing called smartphone now.
Anyway, concerning my diet: I'm actually feeling really, really well! The only thing I really miss is cheese. And it's not as easy to go out and eat. The selection has become thinner, but I'll live. And I firmly believe that if more people start requesting more vegan options, restaurants will eventually listen. I'm glad to be a part of that silent movement :)

I appreciate everyone's input! You've helped me a lot, so here's a little update.

I'm doing just fine living vegan. I don't miss animal products that much in my diet but it's certainly hard to fully live as a vegan. I'm trying to stay off cleaning products etc that use animal products or test on animals. You can't just shop mindlessly now and need to be aware of everything, make sure you've researched everything you buy. I'm glad there's a thing called smartphone now.
Anyway, concerning my diet: I'm actually feeling really, really well! The only thing I really miss is cheese. And it's not as easy to go out and eat. The selection has become thinner, but I'll live. And I firmly believe that if more people start requesting more vegan options, restaurants will eventually listen. I'm glad to be a part of that silent movement :)
Regarding eating out, don't be afraid to ask places to work with you on a vegan meal. This does depend on where you dine out, but some non-chain restaurants s can be very accommodating. I've had some great meals from chefs willing to think a little outside the box.