Software GMail: Self-Destructing E-mail (DMail)

Isn't this the same concept as in Snapchat, the service favoured by tech-ignorant people to send nude photos of themselves to their intimate relations who in turn have used primitive screen grab software to make copies and then shared them all over the Internet?

Isn't this the same concept as in Snapchat, the service favoured by tech-ignorant people to send nude photos of themselves to their intimate relations who in turn have used primitive screen grab software to make copies and then shared them all over the Internet?

Aw, man. I love Snapchat. :cool:

I know nothing about Snapchat. Don't send nude photos of me, either.

The example they give is sending someone one of your account numbers, then having the message delete itself in 2 minutes.

Am I the only one who actually read the article? :D

It is touted as a security feature, that you send an encrypted email that the recipient has to decrypt on his end to be able to read it with a private key, but that the private key has only a certain validity, so it is not possible forever to decode your message.

If you want to send a bank account number and are concerned that somebody else might be able to do something illicit if they got access to your account number, then yes, it would make sense to use that service.

(But it would not be as much fun as sending one of those messages they use in "Mission Impossible" that truly do self-destruct)

Reactions: Amy SF and ledboots
Am I the only one who actually read the article? :D

It is touted as a security feature, that you send an encrypted email that the recipient has to decrypt on his end to be able to read it with a private key, but that the private key has only a certain validity, so it is not possible forever to decode your message.

If you want to send a bank account number and are concerned that somebody else might be able to do something illicit if they got access to your account number, then yes, it would make sense to use that service.

(But it would not be as much fun as sending one of those messages they use in "Mission Impossible" that truly do self-destruct)

Your description is more technically accurate. I was only interested in who might have used this feature, and whether it worked ok for someone who did.