Gluten free vegan - recipes, ideas, etc

Fyvel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
So we have been gluten free the past couple of months, and while to transition has been relatively painless, I am getting a bit bored. Is anyone else gluten free? What are your favorite meals, recipes, etc?

I am particularly interested in holiday meal ideas. Tofurkey, Celebration Roast, etc all have gluten so they are out. I was thinking maybe a lentil loaf of some sort?

I am actually just wheat free as I can still tolerate oats and rye and barley in small controlled amounts. But I do all my baking GF with my own mix of flours (I have 2 wholegrains flours mix --one with buckwheat, brown rice and quinoa and one for breads with 2 parts wholegrain flours (Iuse the same flours as above but add chickpea flour) to one part starch. Plus xanthan gum as it really makes things a bit more stretchy like gluten.

I just made gluten free chickpea cutlets and they were really good. A bit dry but with gravy...mmmmm. I'll type up the recipe tonight and post it tomorrow. It is a combination of 4 different versions that i found on the internet.

Also this may be of help: http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html There are lots of variations for loafs and you can choose GF options. I made this last year for pudding at Christmas--I made it GF by using GF flour and a bit of Xanthan gum http://ohsheglows.com/2011/12/15/sinless-sticky-toffee-pecan-pudding/ it is bloody amazing.

My daughter is trying to get me to try gluten free because of my fibromyalgia and headaches so I'm very interested in gluten free vegan ideas. So far it seems like it will be hard. Luckily it's not something I have to do for an allergy or sensitivity to wheat. I'd love to give it a shot, though.

That sticky pudding looks awesome!

Wow, thanks Spidergrrl! I would love the GF chickpea cutlet recipe- I love those! How do you do gravy? I used to do margarine/wheat flour and 'chicken' broth, but that isn't an option any more (and I miss my gravy!!)

We are just doing this as an experiment. No confirmed allergies or intolerances, just suspicions. We started about 2 months ago and within 2-3 days my son's behavior changed drastically. Previous to going GF he was having constant whining and melting down over every little thing - it was obviously he was struggling and his behavior was a bit extreme. He is much happier and more content now. He still has tantrums, but they at least seem justified now! The one time he was exposed to gluten, about two weeks in, he had a setback. So for now we are sticking with it (I am nursing him still and gluten seems to pass into milk so we are both GF).

We still do oats, but I make sure to get the GF kind. We don't do barley, etc - I am trying to be pretty strict about it. Maybe I should break down and buy xantham gum, it is in so many GF recipes.

Reactions: KLS52
Gluten Free Chickpea Cutlets
Preheat oven to 375F/190C
Mix together in a large bowl:
3 cups chickpeas (2 tins) mashed--ok if some are partly mashed or whole
4 cloves minced garlic
3 TB tamari (wheat free soy sauce)--mine is quite mild so if yours is super salty, cut back
1 ½ -2 TB toasted sesame oil
3-4 tsp poultry seasoning (I used 2 tsp “mixed herbs” (thyme sage, parsley, oregano) 1 tsp rosemary and ½ tsp dill)
2 TB nutritional yeast
1 flax egg (1 TB flax meal with 3 TB hot water, allowed to sit a few minutes until it jells up)

In another bowl sift together:
1 cup GF flour I used a combination of buckwheat, quinoa and brown rice flours--not the kind like Dove’s Farm where it has a high % of starches --just GF flour
1 scant TB xanthan gum
¾ cup cold water
Mix until a dough forms then add the dough into the chickpea mixture mixing it well with your hands. Wet your hands if you need to stop it from sticking.

Put some parchment paper on a baking sheet. Divide the chickpea dough into 8 lumps then flatten the lumps in your hands to about ½ an inch thick and shape into patty shape. Brush with oil (optional) and bake 20 minutes, flip and bake 8-10 more.

I had to cook it in 2 goes because my oven only has one rack so I cooked 6 and then 2 more after and the ones who had to wait around were fine. They lasted well in the fridge so we could eat them over 2 days. They were moist and tender and not dried out after being refrigerated. They had a definitely “chicken-y” flavour and held together really well. Like a proper burger texture not all falling apart. I reheated them the next day by pan frying so I imagine you could pan fry from the start, but I am too lazy for that. Bung ‘em in the oven, I say.

I compiled this from several recipes, most notably cutting back the oil to 2 TB rather than ¼ cup (1 recipe as high as a 1/3 cup) If you are cool using that much oil then go ahead as they were a wee bit dry (but nothing gravy/sauce couldn’t solve) but we just don’t dig that much oil.

I hope you like them. I made them the first night with mash and veg and gravy but the next night with pasta and homemade tomato sauce and “parmesan”--both ways were good. I could see them on a sandwich as well. I had a GF burger bun recipe that was great, must do that again soon. You want that recipe as well?

Cheers

Reactions: Freesia and Fyvel
My blood test taste for wheat allergy came back "inconclusive"--it was the highest acceptable score--right on the border between ok and not ok so my Dr told me to stop eating wheat and see if I felt better. I feel 100% better--miles better--no more bloated tummy or digestion pain. So for me it was a good decision.

For 2 years I baked with spelt flour as it has much less gluten--if you just want easier baking with less gluten then try spelt (meaning if you don't have an actual problem) but after 2 years even spelt was giving me a bit of tummy trouble.

I went GF for baking as a challenge. I have found if I eat GF mostly I can have a few treats like spelt pasta or ryvita crackers or porridge.

I also have developed really good GF bars (blondies/brownies etc) using pureed beans as the fat replacer to keep them moist and fudgy. http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/spidergrrls-beany-bar-yum-yum.html I don't use comercial GF flour as it is high in non nutritious starch I just use a mix of healthy wholegrain flours (buckwheat, brown rice and quinoa)

Reactions: Fyvel
I'm very excited...I already have a number of GF flours. Not sure about the xantham but I think I'd like to have that. I am definitely making those chickpea cutlets. I made a gravy, once, with chickpea flour. I will have to see if I can find the recipe...I have a bad habit of printing out recipes and then not keeping them organized in one place. :(

On another note, how do you guys store your flour? Normally I keep mine in an airtight container in the cupboard, but someone said it keeps better in the fridge. What do you think?

I'm very excited...I already have a number of GF flours. Not sure about the xantham but I think I'd like to have that. I am definitely making those chickpea cutlets. I made a gravy, once, with chickpea flour. I will have to see if I can find the recipe...I have a bad habit of printing out recipes and then not keeping them organized in one place. :(

On another note, how do you guys store your flour? Normally I keep mine in an airtight container in the cupboard, but someone said it keeps better in the fridge. What do you think?

If you live in a hot climate, it is better to store flour in thefridge or freezer in a sealed container. It is also recommended to put the date
on the container as they do have a short shelf life except for spelt flour. The latter can be kept for 12 months.

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--1039/flour-storage-guide.asp

Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it.

I had considered spelt but for now I am keeping us strict GF. I may start adding gluten back in with spelt at some point. For now this is working for us I just need more recipe ideas.

I had allergy tests done a couple of years ago and it didn't show wheat as a problem but I feel better off gluten. I am definitely less irritable and cranky and so is my son. Allergy testing is notorious for being inaccurate, the best way to tell is by eliminating it and then testing it by reintroducing it (rinse and repeat a few times to be sure). I did that once and it was enough for me to want to continue again for a while.

Oh, I would love a good gravy recipe if anyone has one. I have heard of using sweet rice flour instead of wheat flour- has anyone tried that? I tried cornstarch and that was a huge fail :(

If you like the idea of Tofurkey, you could make a sort of tofu roulade with a stuffing centre and use gluten free breadcrumbs for the stuffing etc.

As for a lentil loaf, i made one last year. if you google festive nut loaf, many many recipes pop up, and most would be either gluten free, or easy to replace any wheat flour in it.

I make a delish gravy with cashews as the base for thickening and a TB or 2 of arrowroot (or corn starch) I'll post the recipe tomorrow.
I'd love to store flour in the fridge or freezer but we live in England with a tiny dorm size fridge. I've always stored in the pantry in an airtight sealed rubbermaid tub and been fine.

I was excited to find tapioca starch at my HFS yesterday--it is my starch of choice for GF cooking and can be hard to find. I don't mind doing the 2 parts healthy wholegrain flour to 1 part starch for bread things (like burger buns, pizza crust) but things like Dove's farms seem to be all starch. That may make better tasting bread but i want nutrition.

I think xanthan gum is worth it unless you have a corn sensitivity--it really makes dough more pliable. Lord Snot and I tried to make GF chapatis and the ones without a bit of XG were an epic fail.

Reactions: KLS52
Cashew Gravy

2 cups hot water
½ cup cashews (if you don’t have a high powdered blender like me then you’ll need to soak them for a few hours to soften)
2 TB tamari (GF soy sauce--or use Braggs Liquid Aminos)
1 TB corn flour (called corn starch in the US--can also use arrowroot if corn is an issue)
1-2 TB nutritional yeast
1-2 TB dehydrated onions (optional but good)
½ tsp salt (or ½ tsp marmite if you can get it--adds richness)

Set aside 1 cup hot water. Blend everything else in blender until all the cashews are pureed. Add the other cup hot water and then pour into a pan and heat until thickened.

Onion Rolls
The original recipe called for sorghum flour which I hear is ace for GF baking, but I’ve never seen it in the UK. The recipe calls for the 2 parts wholegrain flour + 1 part starch combo which I have found to work well for bready things, but I pre-mix mine to make it easier. I mix in a big ole tub 2 cups each buckwheat, quinoa, brown rice flour (total 6 cups) and 3 cups tapioca starch. I have previously used the most nutritious flour teff in place of brown rice flour but can no longer get it. Shame.

2 cups GF wholegrain flour
1 cup tapioca starch (or just 3 cups of the above mix)
1 TB xanthan gum
1 ½ tsp salt
2 tsp egg replacer (optional--I never have used)
2 TB sugar
1 ½ cups lukewarm water
2 TB yeast
2 TB olive oil
3 TB ground flax + ¾ cup water
1 tsp (cider) vinegar

Topping
dehydrated onion--or I suppose you could use sesame seeds like a burger bun but I like the onion. The recipe called for brushing the tops with 2 TB melted margarine and then adding the onion, but I just press in the onion.

You can do them as rolls in a muffin tin but I use Yorkshire pudding tins to make burger buns.

Grease your intended pans. GF doesn’t tend to do well without structure. They just spread out and flatten into weird lumps if you don’t have a shaped space to bake them in from my experience (hence the Yorkshire pudding tins)

Combine flours, xanthan gum, salt and egg replacer (if using) in a bowl.

Place sugar in a small bowl (I use my pyrex measuring cup) and add lukewarm water, whisking to combine. Add your yeast and stir gently. Let sit for a few minutes until it goes all foamy on top.

Combine flax seed and water in blender or food processor and blend until thick and creamy.

Add oil and vinegar to proofed yeast. Add yeast and flax liquid to flour and mix well. If you have a standing mixer (lucky you) beat using the paddle for 3 minutes.

For muffins, fill half full with batter. For buns if using a Yorkshire pudding tin divide into 8 equal lumps. You may need to wet your hands to help shape the buns. Baste the tops with melted margarine and dribble on some dried onions (I just press in some onions)

Let rise for 50 minutes in a warm place with a tea towel over the dough or until doubled in size. I do mine on my stove top to catch afternoon sun. After 30 minutes let the oven preheat to 375F/190C for the last 20 minutes of rising for additional warmth.

Bake for 30 minutes or until rolls are brown and sound hollow when you tap them. Here’s the key for GF baking--texture is better (way better) if you let everything cool. It just is all gummy inside if you try to eat it straight from the oven which is the sh*ts because that was some of the best parts of glutenous baking was eating hot bread. But there you go.

I am told it reheats well the next day in a microwave but I don’t have one, so I don’t know. I store mine in an airtight container for several days at room temp and everything seems fine. I have heard about keeping GF bread in the fridge or freezer, but with a UK sized fridge/freezer that is not possible.

I have never tried it in a loaf pan but wonder would it make good sliced bread.

You can purchase Juwar flour ( sorghum flour ) on amazon co uk but it is very expensive.
Yeah--I am trying not to buy stuff where the postage can be as much or more than the product. I used to get Teff flour this way, but the bag was so heavy the postage was outrageous. The flours I use are all ones I can get locally.

Yeah--I am trying not to buy stuff where the postage can be as much or more than the product. I used to get Teff flour this way, but the bag was so heavy the postage was outrageous. The flours I use are all ones I can get locally.

I agree. I can buy virtually all types of flours at my local organic shop. However they usually are very
expensive but bakes tastes so much better. :lick:
Have you ever tried using coconut flour for baking ? I still have some left and will make some muffins with
the remaining flour. It really has a pronounced coconut taste and is excellent for muffins and tea cakes.

I've never tried coconut flour...I've seen it at the HFS...may have to buy some. Last night I made a half batch of chickpea cutlets and shaped them round like burgers and baked some GF onion rolls. It was so delish!

Ooooh, I missed the responses in this thread. Thanks for the recipes!

I sometimes used to make GF cupcakes because a couple of my family members are GF. They are made with coconut and rice flour and are quite nice. They are a variation on Isa's gluten freedom cupcakes and they are great. I will have to try to find the recipe again.