Giving up dairy

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello đź‘‹,
I’m feeling bad. I went out for a walk today. I saw some calves. I am an ex-vegan turned veggie. I made a vow to the calves to go vegan. I had been wanting to go back to vegan again before this. I later decided I wouldn’t do it just now. My sister and mother had baked some cookies using non-vegan ingredients and I had some.
We live in the countryside. I am in bed. I heard a cow bellowing. Would she have been bellowing for her calf?
I so want to go vegan, but I’m going to find it so hard to give up cheese (yes, I know of and eat vegan cheese). I’ve got halloumi to use up tomorrow...
Please give me some support. What can I use to help myself go vegan with self-compassion as well as compassion for animals?
Thanx.

Like you I love cheese. I have found no acceptable vegan alternative, so have simply resigned myself to never eating it again.

You ask for support, but it only requires restraint, and some motivation. Surely your feelings as described in the thread you started recently entitled 'I sometimes feel like hating the whole human race!!' is sufficient motivation for you?

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
Like you I love cheese. I have found no acceptable vegan alternative, so have simply resigned myself to never eating it again.

You ask for support, but it only requires restraint, and some motivation. Surely your feelings as described in the thread you started recently entitled 'I sometimes feel like hating the whole human race!!' is sufficient motivation for you?

I totally agree. Vegan alternatives don't taste anything like cheese.

I have found a 'cheddar' that looks quite nice, but at ÂŁ50 a kg I'm not inclined to try it.

I love Daiya farmhouse blocks- the cheddar, jalepano muenster, and another one I rarely get. I even compared the cheddar to a dairy sharp cheddar and found I liked Daiya better. Not the slices, definitely not the shreds, just the blocks.
I did have to go through some time of relying on olives, artichoke hearts, grilled onions and mushrooms to get that craving, and I tried all kinds of recipes for sauces I;m okay with, but still don't consider cheese.
I like nutritional yeast, and with some lemon, a bit of dijon mustard, and vegan mayo makes a nice sandwich spread

Reactions: PTree15
Fortunately (I guess) I never really liked cheddar. or cheese all by itself.
I have been happy with Field Roast Chao Slices on my sandwiches.
I haven't really found any mozzarella for my pizzas yet. I think Daiya mozzarella is terrible
I've experimented some with making my own mozzarella out of cashews. It's ok. but expensive.

The Nut Crafter make artisan style vegan cheeses. ÂŁ8 is expensive but you can always treat yourself one in a while. ;)
Indeed, but I'd be pretty upset to pay all that money for a relative 'slither' that would last a couple of bites only for it to taste nothing like cheese.

• Friendly

Cheese was my downfall. Always grabbing a slice of vintage cheddar when I walked past the fridge, and a large chunk to go with a glass of red wine.

• Agree
hummus and a pita chip work pretty good with wine.
or
mixed nuts
or
dried fruit
or some french bread or sourdough with a vegan garlic and herb dip.

My new vice is THC edibles. The only downside is that you can only have a little.
My dispensary has a whole bunch of vegan options. Macaroons, gummies, and of course Dark Chocolate.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
I had to google what that was. I think I might get arrested over here if I had any of that in the house! :laughing:

The main reason for veganism is that many animals are treated badly in farms e.g. calves are separated from their mothers in dairy production, older cows are slaughtered

The solution: Going vegan or keeping your own cows and treating them truly ethically.

The main reason for veganism is that many animals are treated badly in farms e.g. calves are separated from their mothers in dairy production, older cows are slaughtered

The solution: Going vegan or keeping your own cows and treating them truly ethically.

Hi Luis,

There is some additional information about cow biology that I would ask you to consider.

Like other mammals, cows only produce milk when they have given birth to a calf. Following the birth of a calf, a female cow will produce milk long enough to support the growth of that calf (about 1 year, according to this livestock raising website: https://www.livestockexpo.org/images/Education/Dairy09.pdf). After that, the dairy cow must be impregnated again, and give birth to another calf, in order to continue to produce milk. The question then becomes: what to do with all those calves? The male calves will never produce milk.

Reactions: Lou
I have been happy with Field Roast Chao Slices on my sandwiches.
I haven't really found any mozzarella for my pizzas yet. I think Daiya mozzarella is terrible
I've experimented some with making my own mozzarella out of cashews. It's ok. but expensive.

Have you tried this one?

I also don't like Daiya products. The best European plant based alternatives for melting are Violife.

Reactions: Lou and Luis Halson