GIMP image editor forked to fix 'problematic' name

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been a regular user of GIMP for many years and I just find the whole idea of being offended by the name extremely petty.:rolleyes:

I didn't actually realise 'gimp' was a word. I suspect that many whose native language is not English are in the same boat. That said ... Personally, I wouldn't actually mind if they changed the name, especially if it was combined with other efforts to make the software more user-friendly. We live in a new age now! The language is being cleaned up to help create a kinder, gentler world.

I'm not even sure if my username is appropriate any more - it may be 'problematic'!

I always knew it was an acronym and never even thought about it being "offensive." I have used this program for many years!

Reactions: Brian W
I'm not even sure if my username is appropriate any more - it may be 'problematic'!
My user name on Gimp Chat forum is Erisian which could be a little problematic for me now because it is derived from Eris, the greek goddess of chaos and, of course, I am a christian but I thought "hey, it's done now - everybody knows me as Erisian.":oops:

Reactions: Val