Getting your letter printed in the newspaper

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I sent in a letter about drones a few years ago that wasn't printed. Nothing that could anger anyone. I see these other letters that could be considered offensive. My brother also sent in a letter that wasn't printed. Has anyone else had problems getting their letter printed?

How long was it, rainforests1? I have worked at newspapers over the years, and I can tell you that if it was really long (like more than 150 or so words), it likely wouldn't make it, as space is at a premium. Sometimes the editorial page editor has theme pages, too, so that perhaps yours didn't fit into his/her plan for a particular day's issue. Also, we used to have to confirm that the person who sent the letter was actually that person, or at least a real person, so contact information was a must. If we couldn't reach anyone, then the letter wouldn't run.

I've had letters printed in the local paper....one was really sort, like one or two sentences. I think PTree is right about keeping them as short as you can.

How long was it, rainforests1? I have worked at newspapers over the years, and I can tell you that if it was really long (like more than 150 or so words), it likely wouldn't make it, as space is at a premium. Sometimes the editorial page editor has theme pages, too, so that perhaps yours didn't fit into his/her plan for a particular day's issue. Also, we used to have to confirm that the person who sent the letter was actually that person, or at least a real person, so contact information was a must. If we couldn't reach anyone, then the letter wouldn't run.
I think their rule is under 250 words. Mine was definitely under 250 words.

I think their rule is under 250 words. Mine was definitely under 250 words.
Hmmm, maybe it depends on how many letters the editor gets. Was it a big newspaper? I know when I worked at smaller papers, we were happy to get letters we could use. Also, if the topic was about a recent news item, it had a better chance of getting in. I dare say it, but it could be bias as well. Some editors are loath to admit that they actually aren't as objective as they should be.

Over where I live, nothing gets into the opinion pages on our biggest paper unless it's somewhat confrontational towards an opposing political party. :fp: