Genocide.

Ahimsa

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm not sure if this actually comes under philosophy but here goes anyway. How many people on this forum are aware of the treatment of the Uighurs in China and what's been done to followers of the Felan Gong over the years, particularly in respect of human organ harvesting. There is no doubt that the treatment of the Uighurs constitutes genocide, and yet, once again, the world stands by and does very little. 🤔

Yes, I have heard a little about it...Sounds absolutely dreadful...Not quite sure why the world leaders have not taken action...
Perhaps with the Pandemic it has just been put off as something to deal with later?

Reactions: Ahimsa
Yes, I have heard a little about it...Sounds absolutely dreadful...Not quite sure why the world leaders have not taken action...
Perhaps with the Pandemic it has just been put off as something to deal with later?
Their oppression actually goes back many years, but now it's even worse with literally millions being held in what are little more than concentration camps.

Yes. I'm aware of it.
However, I'm not trying to minimize what is happening to them but I don't think genocide is the right word. its not a mortal attack - more like a cultural one. I don't know what the right word is, tho. Maybe we need a new one?

But the new US Secretary of State has also recently called it a genocide. So maybe the tide has turned. Also Australia is pressing the UN to investigate.

Its tough for other nations to interfere with the internal workings of another nation. China being so big and powerful also makes it tough.

On the positive side, I think that more people are becoming aware And concerned.

Reactions: 1956 and Ahimsa
Yes. I'm aware of it.
However, I'm not trying to minimize what is happening to them but I don't think genocide is the right word. its not a mortal attack - more like a cultural one. I don't know what the right word is, tho. Maybe we need a new one?

But the new US Secretary of State has also recently called it a genocide. So maybe the tide has turned. Also Australia is pressing the UN to investigate.

Its tough for other nations to interfere with the internal workings of another nation. China being so big and powerful also makes it tough.

On the positive side, I think that more people are becoming aware And concerned.

It does meet the criteria for the definition of genocide, but I would agree that it doesn't seem the same as say, the Jewish Holocaust ... yet! 😕

My dictionary defines genocide as
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation

But the UN has a broader def. which seems to describe the situation in China better
The United Nations Genocide Convention defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group".

various journalists and researchers have called the Chinese government's treatment of Uyghurs an ethnocide or a cultural genocide.​

Reactions: Ahimsa
My dictionary defines genocide as
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation

But the UN has a broader def. which seems to describe the situation in China better
The United Nations Genocide Convention defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group".

various journalists and researchers have called the Chinese government's treatment of Uyghurs an ethnocide or a cultural genocide.​
Yes, the UN, very good at defining things, useless at doing something about them!

They just don't care :pensive:

• Agree
Reactions: Sax
They just don't care :pensive:
Yeah, too often principles are just the nice words people say when it costs them nothing. China has actual leverage to exact a cost, and there's little to be gained for non-Uighurs in poking the bear.