Gelatin production in India vs. United States?

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Most sources I see online say gelatin is a byproduct of the meat industry. However, I found one source that says the makers of gelatin often have their own slaughterhouses for just taking animals' skin and bones. I'm confused as to which is true. Since the source is a letter from the founder of an Indian animal welfare organization, is it different in India? Does gelatin in the US still come from the same animals used to make food? If there are animals in the US raised purely for gelatin, does anyone here think that it makes it worth avoiding gelatin? Including by not watching movies?

A roll of movie film, including the reels and metal cans, weighs between 30 and 40 pounds: Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE: Weight of an average film.

Even if the entire 40 lb. weight of the movie film roll was gelatin, and even if only 1,000 people watch the movie, that would be 40 lbs. / 1,000 people = .04 lbs. of gelatin per person. That's less than 1 ounce.

Get over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blues and Lou
A roll of movie film, including the reels and metal cans, weighs between 30 and 40 pounds: Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE: Weight of an average film.

Even if the entire 40 lb. weight of the movie film roll was gelatin, and even if only 1,000 people watch the movie, that would be 40 lbs. / 1,000 people = .04 lbs. of gelatin per person. That's less than 1 ounce.

Get over it.
More like 60 pounds per film. but good reasoning. your 7th grade math teacher must be very proud. :)

Reactions: FlandersOD

Get over it.
The source you linked to seems to imply that a single movie is usually two rolls, so it'd be more like 0.08 pounds or 1.28 ounces per person. I don't suppose that changes your mind?

But only two cans based on David3's source. As far as I can tell, the math is still sound. If the reel is in the cans, then David3's point and my point both still stand.

So what do you think? Would you give up streaming based on this? Not trying to pressure any particular answer out of you; just curious what your answer is.
Nope. in a few other thread I've explained my views. I don't believe that 100% eliminating things that contain animal products or require the death or exploitation of animals is possible. I don't believe that is The Standard. Right there in the Vegan Society's definition it includes the phrases "seeks to exclude ", and "as far as possible and practicable".

you can make the argument that films are not free of animal products. Its just as easy to argue that plants are not entirely produced without harming animals. I don't see that as reasons to avoid films (or plant-based foods). For me its enough to just try and do my best. But drawing the line is somewhat tricky and pretty much subjective. For instance its possible to avoid film but not food.

A lot of non-vegans use the argument that if you can't avoid harming animals entirely than why even try. or perhaps a vegans belief system is unworkable or hypocritical. I think the guys who wrote the definition maybe expected something like that. And therefore included the words, seeks, possible, and practical.

A lot of "vegan influencers" bring this up. I like one who thinks that the way to advocate vegansm is to emphasize that each person only has to be as vegan as they think is possible or practical for themselves.

Nope. in a few other thread I've explained my views. I don't believe that 100% eliminating things that contain animal products or require the death or exploitation of animals is possible. I don't believe that is The Standard. Right there in the Vegan Society's definition it includes the phrases "seeks to exclude ", and "as far as possible and practicable".

you can make the argument that films are not free of animal products. Its just as easy to argue that plants are not entirely produced without harming animals. I don't see that as reasons to avoid films (or plant-based foods). For me its enough to just try and do my best. But drawing the line is somewhat tricky and pretty much subjective. For instance its possible to avoid film but not food.

A lot of non-vegans use the argument that if you can't avoid harming animals entirely than why even try. or perhaps a vegans belief system is unworkable or hypocritical. I think the guys who wrote the definition maybe expected something like that. And therefore included the words, seeks, possible, and practical.

A lot of "vegan influencers" bring this up. I like one who thinks that the way to advocate vegansm is to emphasize that each person only has to be as vegan as they think is possible or practical for themselves.
I respect that.

Reactions: Lou