Gas discussion

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Since going veg many years ago, my gas has been much better(both odor and frequency). The two big omnivores in my family(very poor diet) both have gas problems(odor and frequency). What has been your experience with this issue?

I drop a deuce more regularly, at least once a day, than when I shoved dead animals into my food trap. I seem to drop f-bombs less frequently, too.

Two omnis were having a fart contest in the mens room when I walked in.

They were exerting a great deal of effort to get little toots.

I effortlessly let one rip that literally caused an echo.

You should have seen the look on their faces.

Reactions: Dedalus
When I went vegetarian, I expected more problems but had far fewer. When I was omni (and ate tons of cheese & junk food), I had constant issues with very painful gas cramps... I popped Beano & Gas-X like they were goin' outta style. Everything changed went I went veg.

Now I'm almost five months vegan, and for about the past month I've been bloated and I'm farting up a storm. Holy moly! :argh:No cramps or anything, just frighteningly fragrant free-flowing flatulence. :p

I have no intention of giving up the foods I now love... however, thinking back to what my meals have consisted of the last few weeks (my pasta sauces, my chickpea salad, more recently the sautéed veggies & falafel), I think one of the major contributors may be garbanzos. In fact, my gas definitely has the unmistakable "essence of garbanzo".... :fp: LOL

Should I be getting dry beans instead of canned?? I read that eating canned beans causes more gas than soaking & cooking dried beans....

Is there a vegan version of Beano I might be able to pick up at a drug store? I'd really prefer natural remedies....

Does anyone have suggestions? Because, seriously... I (to quote George Carlin) "could knock a buzzard off a sh*t wagon." LMAO :blush:

Last edited:
I have been trying less beans and even less legumes overall which seems to help a bit. I expect there are better solutions out there that I'll eventually research / figure out/hear about.

Meat gave me gas- often silent and very stinky and long lasting. When I gave it up not only was I relieved of gas but also that heaviness in my lower belly
Beans have never gave me gas or digestive issues. Too many raw veggies seem to take forever to digest and make me wish I'd get gas or burps or anything to help them move downward. Sometimes I'll get a bit of broccoli gas that's like burping a plastic container of the cooked veggie, but doesn't linger

If I eat a lot of peanuts, that gives me gas, but nothing else does much. I used to get a lot more gas back when I ate meat and eggs.