Garlic Lemon Green Beans

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This is a tasty, complex dish with a kind of cleansing flavor.

1 can drained green beans (or fresh snapped equivalent)

2 Tbsp minced jarred garlic (or fresh equivalent)

1-2 Tbsp Olive or canola oil

1/2 large fresh lemon (or a whole small lemon)

Salt n pepper to taste

Sprinkle of crushed red pepper

Place sautee pan with oil and garlic over medium heat. Add green beans, stir and coat evenly. Salt evenly and cook until garlic starts to stick to beans. Squeeze 1/4 large lemon over mixture and stir.

Sautee until just beginning to brown. Squeeze additional 1/4 large lemon and stir. Coat evenly and remove from heat.

Add black pepper, and additional salt if desired after tasting. Sprinkle with light amounts of crushed red pepper and serve. Delicious!

I make a similar dish, except I serve mine chilled. I will share my recipe with you, since you like green beans :)

Sorry, I don't measure stuff, but this recipe has a lot of flexibility.

First the green beans are steamed and cooked leaving them firm (al dente), then chill them for a couple hours in the fridge.

Now for the dressing I use walnut oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, then a little soy sauce, with a touch of vegan Worcester to season it. I also add a tiny bit of herbamare seasoning. Finally, I top it with finely sliced green onions. I shake the beans in the dressing in a nice lidded container then chill and serve cold. It makes a wonderful side dish and holds nicely for a couple days in the fridge.

I don't use oil very often these days, so I rarely make this dish anymore. Furthermore, walnut oil obviously isn't cheap, and it does go rancid, but the taste is really nice in dressings.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I make a similar dish, except I serve mine chilled. I will share my recipe with you, since you like green beans :)

Sorry, I don't measure stuff, but this recipe has a lot of flexibility.

First the green beans are steamed and cooked leaving them firm (al dente), then chill them for a couple hours in the fridge.

Now for the dressing I use walnut oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, then a little soy sauce, with a touch of vegan Worcester to season it. I also add a tiny bit of herbamare seasoning. Finally, I top it with finely sliced green onions. I shake the beans in the dressing in a nice lidded container then chill and serve cold. It makes a wonderful side dish and holds nicely for a couple days in the fridge.

I don't use oil very often these days, so I rarely make this dish anymore. Furthermore, walnut oil obviously isn't cheap, and it does go rancid, but the taste is really nice in dressings.

Just a suggestion. It's always best to season(especially when using vinaigrette) the food whilst it's still warm. This permits the flavours and oil to penetrate the food. ;)

@shyvas

It is not necessary for this dish. I usually leave it marinade overnight. The lemon juice emulsified with the oil has no problem penetrating, warm or cold. However, your advise is sound. What I might have mentioned is emulsifying the dressing before adding it to the container. Even though I shake the container to coat the beans, it would not properly emulsify the dressing that way.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
@shyvas

It is not necessary for this dish. I usually leave it marinade overnight. The lemon juice emulsified with the oil has no problem penetrating, warm or cold. However, your advise is sound. What I might have mentioned is emulsifying the dressing before adding it to the container. Even though I shake the container to coat the beans, it would not properly emulsify the dressing that way.

What ration of lemon juice to oil, do you use ?