Garlic Bread

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I wondered where garlic bread originated as it is very popular in the States? It would seem that it's a cousin of Italy's bruschetta. :)

I like a small slice made with sourdough/evo and just a tiny sprinkle of
garlic flakes with soup. However, I'm not a fan of garlic bread served with pasta due to the carb overload.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
However, I'm not a fan of garlic bread served with pasta due to the carb overload.

There is no such thing in my world.... bring on those starches :starshower:

we love garlic bread and make it by peeling the cloves and putting 1/4 teaspoon olive oil in a saucepan on low or med/low on a coil, with the lid on, and let it roast and then just spread on the bread - we also sometime do it in the oven, again, I take the skin off instead of baking the whole bulb as squeezing it out wastes a lot - cut some tin foil and the same size of parchment and wrap the cloves of garlic in the parchment with a tiny amt of oil, pepper etc and then wrap the tinfoil and bake

Emma JC

There is no such thing in my world.... bring on those starches :starshower:

we love garlic bread and make it by peeling the cloves and putting 1/4 teaspoon olive oil in a saucepan on low or med/low on a coil, with the lid on, and let it roast and then just spread on the bread - we also sometime do it in the oven, again, I take the skin off instead of baking the whole bulb as squeezing it out wastes a lot - cut some tin foil and the same size of parchment and wrap the cloves of garlic in the parchment with a tiny amt of oil, pepper etc and then wrap the tinfoil and bake

Emma JC

I'm intrigued to know how you can spread a 1/4 tsp of oil onto a baguette. ;) I've seen my cousin make it and she uses lashings of spread/butter to make it moist.:p

I wondered where garlic bread originated as it is very popular in the States? It would seem that it's a cousin of Italy's bruschetta. :)

I like a small slice made with sourdough/evo and just a tiny sprinkle of
garlic flakes with soup. However, I'm not a fan of garlic bread served with pasta due to the carb overload.

I try to avoid having bread with a pasta dish as well, but I have a weakness for garlic bread. I love it with spaghetti and sauce or pesto.
I use either olive oil or vegan butter and mix it with minced garlic or garlic powder.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I try to avoid having bread with a pasta dish as well, but I have a weakness for garlic bread. I love it with spaghetti and sauce or pesto.
I use either olive oil or vegan butter and mix it with minced garlic or garlic powder.

I first discovered garlic bread with spaghetti when I was visiting California. I don't mind it but don't I particularly like it with pasta.

Reactions: PTree15
I'm intrigued to know how you can spread a 1/4 tsp of oil onto a baguette. ;) I've seen my cousin make it and she uses lashings of spread/butter to make it moist.:p

The key is the garlic, heaps of it.... the tiny bit of oil is just to bring out the flavour in the garlic and then you spread the garlic, not the oil...
😋

Emma JC

one cup of raw garlic contains 203 calories (one tablespoon is 13 calories) (anti inflammatory)
one cup of olive oil 1,910 calories (one tablespoon is 119 calories) (inflammatory)

How long would it take to burn off 1910 KCal?
Walking (3mph)514 minutes
Running (6mph)184 minutes
Bicycling (10mph)265 minutes

I like my ratio garlic/evo way better so I can be lazier .... oops.

I used to buy EVO in 4 litre cans
Wish I could break all the other bad habits I have so easily.... like not exercising! one habit at a time I guess. :hide:

Emma JC

The key is the garlic, heaps of it.... the tiny bit of oil is just to bring out the flavour in the garlic and then you spread the garlic, not the oil...
😋

Emma JC
I learned about roasted garlic somewhere about 1995 on the pier in Montery, CA (USA). I had no idea that garlic would get all "spread-y" and taste soooo good! I went immediately home and started making it. I haven't had it in a really long time, though, because the way I learned out to do it involved a generous (or a decent amount) poured on top of it after the tops are cut off before sticking the in the oven. I wouldn't know how else to keep the paper skins from burning or catching on fire... I suppose I could just use less oil....

Reactions: Emma JC
I learned about roasted garlic somewhere about 1995 on the pier in Montery, CA (USA). I had no idea that garlic would get all "spread-y" and taste soooo good! I went immediately home and started making it. I haven't had it in a really long time, though, because the way I learned out to do it involved a generous (or a decent amount) poured on top of it after the tops are cut off before sticking the in the oven. I wouldn't know how else to keep the paper skins from burning or catching on fire... I suppose I could just use less oil....

yes, only a small amount of oil is needed if you wrap it in parchment/tinfoil - alternatively you could just use a bit of water when you wrap it and put on some pepper etc - the simplest method though is a small heavy bottom saucepan with a lid, take the skins off and leave the cloves whole, put a 1/4 tsp of oil and then put the cloves in and the lid on and keep an eye at med/low to medium heat and shake it up now and then and they will brown up nicely and still stay soft enough to spread albeit a bit chunky

(the reason for the parchment/tinfoil as opposed to just tinfoil is that I don't like my food touching tinfoil while hot)

hmmm did some quick research and here is a link to someone with even more ideas...

Emma JC

did you wrap it in parchment/foil?

Emma JC
I actually have one of those terra cotta things shaped like a head of garlic.

This time, though, I did use your advice and peeled all the cloves first. I brushed them lightly with olive oil, put the cover on, and into the toaster oven it went.

I really like having a toaster oven. I always feel wasteful, using a regular sized oven for baked potatos, baking single loaves of bread, etc. This way, I have fresh baked stuff more often, because I don't feel compelled to use up all the oven space.

ETA: Often, I use a corner of the toaster oven to roast some garlic while I'm baking bread or a casserole; then I just wrap it.

ah perfect - I used to have one of those terracota things and I burned the garlic the first time so never used it again 🔥

yes, the wasted energy thingy is why I do the saucepan bit and I often throw a garlic in with other items too

Emma JC

Now I want roasted garlic. I love bread with Miyoko’s butter dipped in my pasta sauce. :heart_eyes:
I can eliminate the butter if I had some roasted garlic, though. I need to make some. Then I won’t feel as guilty having bread with my pasta. Oh, who am I kidding...it’s the one time I don’t have any guilt about something. Hahahahaha.

I'm glad for this discussion as I bought another 3 pack of TJ;s organic garlic. I can never remember what I have, so now I have 8 heads.
It's a snowy cold day, perfect for making foccacia with rosemary and a garlic spread--ooooh, the onion garlic one I linked! :lick:

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Anyone ever had black garlic? I bought it at Trader Joe’s awhile ago. It’s supposed to be very good/gourmet, but I don’t remember there being anything special about it.

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Tom L.
Anyone ever had black garlic? I bought it at Trader Joe’s awhile ago. It’s supposed to be very good/gourmet, but I don’t remember there being anything special about it.
No, but I saw it both at TJs and my discount store. I'm always squemish about fermented things- probably my experience trying to eat natto :yuck:.
Let us know, I'm so curious!

• Friendly
About Italian pasta and Italian bread at the same meal.... we've always had that too, but I admit it did seem kinda like overkill, even though I LOVE both those foods. I can't figure it out. I never would have thought about having bread/toast with any of the other grain-based meals I have often eaten (oats, rice, macaroni with dairy or vegan cheese). These days, I often have Italian bread with a meal just like I'd have any other bread, but I don't have it with spaghetti.

But Italian bread would be UNREAL with a good vegan pastafazool. Maybe I'd cut back a bit on the pasta when making it (and probably have extra-thick slices of Italian bread to make up for it... so I'm not sure what difference it would make... :drool:)

Last edited: