Gardien Holiday Roast

sleepydvdr

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Seasons greetings! This review was not destined to be in time for the holidays. I wasn't planning on buying it until it was marked down to half price, just before the holidays were over. Normally, it costs $16 and is a bit expensive. When I saw it for $8, I couldn't resist.

It is by Gardien, so it is an all vegan product. It is a roast that comes with 2 large packets of gravy. Unlike other products that just gives you enough gravy to spread over your roast, this one comes with enough for a side item, such as a baked potato. The package claims it will serve eight people. Well, maybe I'm just a glutton, but it serves me two abundant portions. Yes, half a roast, a pack of gravy and a small baked potato makes a hearty meal for me. I weighed the uncooked roast on my digital scale and it came up 17 oz (cooked, it is probably 16 oz because Gardien products release water when cooked, which this one did). So, a portion that I consider to be filling would be closer to 8 oz, not 2 oz.

I wrapped it in foil and cooked for a little over 1.5 hours. The package claims you can also cook it in a microwave or boil it in the plastic packaging. As with other Gardien products, it released water, but not as badly as I feared. When fully cooked, I was able to slice it surprisingly well. Tofurky roasts seem to warp when you slice them, but this roast held firm and allowed fairly thin slices. Just before slicing the roast, I started heating the gravy. The gravy was thin and lacking salt, so I added salt and simmered it until it thickened a bit.

As for taste, the meaty part was very much like their chicken style products. It was lacking a bit in flavor. Being that it was like their chicken products, it did not come close to tasting like turkey. The stuffing tasted fine, but not outstanding. The gravy was acceptable with the added salt, but Gardien should research adding some more flavor to it.

The packaging is a little deceptive. When you pick it up in the freezer, you think you have a massive amount of food. But half of that weight comes from the gravy. Nonetheless, the roast was a decent size. Although it looks larger than a Field Roast or Tofurky roast, it's only 17 oz, whereas Field Roast is 16 oz and Tofurky roast is 26 oz. OK, how do they rank against each other? I still have to say that Field Roast is tops. Tofurky would be second and this Gariden roast is third. I think most people will agree that Field Roast is #1. Many people dislike Tofurky for whatever reason, but Tofurky has more flavor and tastes more like turkey and dressing in terms of flavor, color and texture (well, texture is arguable) than the Gardien roast. The Gardien roast is not a bad deal at $8, but I wouldn't purchase it at $16.

I hope this helps you guys to decide if it is worth trying. If anyone else has had this product, please give your input. I don't want to be only deciding factor for those reading this review.

Merry Christmas (belated) and Happy Holidays!

Picture of the unpackaged frozen product laid out on my kitchen table:
1dt6.jpg

Reactions: KLS52
Thanks for the review. It looks just like the Trader Joe mini roasts I had. They have stuffing and come two in a package with gravy. They were pretty good.

Last edited:
My family likes them. I like the stuffing with wild rice, but can't really eat more than a couple of bites of gardein fake meats anymore without getting a stomachache. (This is true of all the brands, not just gardein.)

:clap:I'm always gobsmacked when I read your product reviews and wonder why you don't become a food writer ?

The description, details and rating of the product is a pure delight to read. I'm a big fan of Gardein products and like their wide variety of their products. Their packaging is also the most elegant that I've ever seen.

Having read your comments concerning the holiday roast, I wouldn't be willing to fork out $16 for 2 portions of fake chicken that doesn't have an outstanding texture and gravy.

Tx for your great review !

Reactions: thefadedone
:clap:I'm always gobsmacked when I read your product reviews and wonder why you don't become a food writer ?

The description, details and rating of the product is a pure delight to read. I'm a big fan of Gardein products and like their wide variety of their products. Their packaging is also the most elegant that I've ever seen.

Having read your comments concerning the holiday roast, I wouldn't be willing to fork out $16 for 2 portions of fake chicken that doesn't have an outstanding texture and gravy.

Tx for your great review !

Agreed!! You need a vegan food review blog!

Seasons greetings! This review was not destined to be in time for the holidays. I wasn't planning on buying it until it was marked down to half price, just before the holidays were over. Normally, it costs $16 and is a bit expensive. When I saw it for $8, I couldn't resist.

It is by Gardien, so it is an all vegan product. It is a roast that comes with 2 large packets of gravy. Unlike other products that just gives you enough gravy to spread over your roast, this one comes with enough for a side item, such as a baked potato. The package claims it will serve eight people. Well, maybe I'm just a glutton, but it serves me two abundant portions. Yes, half a roast, a pack of gravy and a small baked potato makes a hearty meal for me. I weighed the uncooked roast on my digital scale and it came up 17 oz (cooked, it is probably 16 oz because Gardien products release water when cooked, which this one did). So, a portion that I consider to be filling would be closer to 8 oz, not 2 oz.

I wrapped it in foil and cooked for a little over 1.5 hours. The package claims you can also cook it in a microwave or boil it in the plastic packaging. As with other Gardien products, it released water, but not as badly as I feared. When fully cooked, I was able to slice it surprisingly well. Tofurky roasts seem to warp when you slice them, but this roast held firm and allowed fairly thin slices. Just before slicing the roast, I started heating the gravy. The gravy was thin and lacking salt, so I added salt and simmered it until it thickened a bit.

As for taste, the meaty part was very much like their chicken style products. It was lacking a bit in flavor. Being that it was like their chicken products, it did not come close to tasting like turkey. The stuffing tasted fine, but not outstanding. The gravy was acceptable with the added salt, but Gardien should research adding some more flavor to it.

The packaging is a little deceptive. When you pick it up in the freezer, you think you have a massive amount of food. But half of that weight comes from the gravy. Nonetheless, the roast was a decent size. Although it looks larger than a Field Roast or Tofurky roast, it's only 17 oz, whereas Field Roast is 16 oz and Tofurky roast is 26 oz. OK, how do they rank against each other? I still have to say that Field Roast is tops. Tofurky would be second and this Gariden roast is third. I think most people will agree that Field Roast is #1. Many people dislike Tofurky for whatever reason, but Tofurky has more flavor and tastes more like turkey and dressing in terms of flavor, color and texture (well, texture is arguable) than the Gardien roast. The Gardien roast is not a bad deal at $8, but I wouldn't purchase it at $16.

I hope this helps you guys to decide if it is worth trying. If anyone else has had this product, please give your input. I don't want to be only deciding factor for those reading this review.

Merry Christmas (belated) and Happy Holidays!

Picture of the unpackaged frozen product laid out on my kitchen table:
1dt6.jpg

Thank you for this, sleepydvdr. I don't like Tofurkey in general so I would probably skip their stuff, but I'm intrigued about Field Roast, as I enjoyed their brand of Italian sausages. I like the Gardein chik'n tenders. I agree that they sometimes lack flavor, but I often doctor them up a bit, so this might be worth trying on sale.

Thank you all for the kind words. I thought about starting a food blog a few times in the past, but I'm not sure I would keep it up. I think posting on VV is more of my speed...;)

I hate that almost no one else writes reviews. I feel like I'm hogging the review section.:p

Thanks for the review. It looks just like the Trader Joe mini roasts I had. They have stuffing and come two in a package with gravy. They were pretty good.

Yes, I think Trader Joe's re-labels them with their own brand. They look the same otherwise. I stopped by on New Years Eve and they were giving them away free! I grabbed one. The person in front of me in line had a whole bag full them. I hope she was heading to a homeless shelter or to a gathering of many veg*ns!

I like them better than tofurkey, but not as much as field roast, although the gravy is great.