Fuel question

Hypn0

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I am just beginning to transition to vegan from being a regular meat eater. I have been enjoying the new experience and trying new foods. I have started using the nutriant drink called Huel as well as a balanced diet.

I have a question, i am starting a new job as a roofer, I havent done manual work for many years and Im wondering if ill have enough 'Fuel' for the job at hand as it will be very physically demanding for me at first.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated such as specific foods which will help me keep my energy up for the job.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Prepare for some changes to your body and temptations in the first month.

As a recently converted meat eater, your gut will have bacteria in it accustomed to animal products. Your habits of mind, together with your body will make you crave animal foods. I can't speak for other Vegans, but this was exactly what it was like for me in the first month. The longer you go, the more vegan options you do, the easier it will become.The bacteria craving meat will eventually die of with continued abstinence.

You may be surprised to learn that protein is not the primary fuel for the human body. Carbohydrates are, followed by fats. Protein is the last thing your body will burn if not given enough of the former two. That being said, the Carbs and fats you get should be primarily form whole food sources, as opposed to products stripped of their nutrition to one degree or another (ex: sodas, energy drinks, white bread, white rice, white pasta). All of these will supply only limited vitamins and minerals that you were previously getting from the animals who fed on whole grains and not the stripped ones made for human consumption.

Going vegan gives you a lot of options for your fuel needs, it's up to you to decide what you like and what is best for you. They can be as tasty and filling as animal foods with the right spices. However, generally you will need to eat a little more of them than what you are accustomed to. Potatoes might be just a side in "normal" type meal for meat eaters, but when the meat is excluded, prepare to load up on more potatoes, if that's what you are having. Or more oats, or more brown rice, or more wholegrain bread, or more beans. The general rule is: Eat until you are full.