Fruit and alcohol consumption

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Quick survey for those who wish to answer (and if you do, please answer both and answer honestly):

How much of your diet consists of (sweet) fruit(includes juices as well as whole fruit)? Do you eat it daily/weekly and in what amounts?

Do you drink alcohol? If so, how often and in what amounts?

I don't use juice. I'm in the habit of having like 3 prunes in the morning (since a nutritionfacts video) Once in while I'll make a smoothie, like citrus and berries. Often have berries in oats or cooked grain for breakfast. I like to have an apple with nut butter. Mostly I'll have fruit early.
I do like dried unsweetened mango. I get those, and the non sorbate prunes from Trader Joes and am now out...

I rarely drink alcohol. I've pretty much lost my taste for beers. I do like a good gin, but I can sip on that for a long time, over ice. Bombay Sapphire is my absolute favorite!
In my younger days I drank often, and a lot. I feel very lucky to not have the disposition towards alcoholism. I was married to one (largely why I drank when I did!) whose entire family was affected. No one in my family drank much
I would much rather smoke a bowl, but I don't do that either

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I don't drink juice (I will drink cranberry juice, but only with vodka, haha).
Pre-virus, I'd have about two servings of fresh fruit a day, usually at breakfast and between lunch and dinner. I also do fruit smoothies occasionally, especially with bananas and blueberries, for breakfast or a snack.

I drank a lot more when I was younger and more in "party mode." Now I will occasionally have a cocktail (with a shot of either vodka, whiskey or gin) or a glass of wine at dinner during the week, and on my days off I probably have a couple of beers (usually craft beers, and they are so filling that I only have enough room for one or two) or a cocktail or two over the course of the days off. Tonight, for example, I am not working, so I'm having a craft beer with dinner, and I'll have another later when I play Yahtzee with my family online. :)

Cranberries are really good in a smoothie
I also like dates, and will often make date paste to use instead of sugar for baking

Reactions: PTree15
Cranberries are really good in a smoothie
I also like dates, and will often make date paste to use instead of sugar for baking
Dates are so good! I should eat them more often. I think they would be good chopped up in oatmeal or something, too.

I drink orange juice or apple cider (nonalcoholic) perhaps half a dozen times per year, at most.

Fresh fuit - maybe three times a week. I really prefer vegetables. I do make and eat apple pie in the fall, bake with bananas, and make peach and berry cobblers in the summer. Averaged out over the year, those desserts add another 1-2 servings of fruit per week.

I only like beer in hot weather. Last summer, I had a total of perhaps twelve bottles, which is higher than normal consumption. (I had bought an assortment of craft beers.)

I only like wine in the spring and the fall. Last year, I drank 2-3 bottles.

In the winter, I occasionally like a shot of liqueur in coffee. That happens 2 - 6 times per winter.

In hot weather, I occasionally like a gin and tonic or a vodka and tonic, but I didn't have any last year; the craft beers substituted for that.

I drink orange juice or apple cider (nonalcoholic) perhaps half a dozen times per year, at most.

Fresh fuit - maybe three times a week. I really prefer vegetables. I do make and eat apple pie in the fall, bake with bananas, and make peach and berry cobblers in the summer. Averaged out over the year, those desserts add another 1-2 servings of fruit per week.

I only like beer in hot weather. Last summer, I had a total of perhaps twelve bottles, which is higher than normal consumption. (I had bought an assortment of craft beers.)

I only like wine in the spring and the fall. Last year, I drank 2-3 bottles.

In the winter, I occasionally like a shot of liqueur in coffee. That happens 2 - 6 times per winter.

In hot weather, I occasionally like a gin and tonic or a vodka and tonic, but I didn't have any last year; the craft beers substituted for that.
I love a gin or vodka and tonic in the hot weather, too. It's really refreshing.

• Agree
Reactions: Mischief
I do not drink fruit juice and lately have not been eating much fruit. When I was working, I always had a fruit cup or unsweetened applesauce on my break. Since I have been at home, I eat a banana now and then and I make smoothies with frozen strawberries and bananas once in a while. I put dried cranberries in my oatmeal though when I eat oatmeal.
I only drink craft beer and an occasional hard cider or mead. I am drinking more now than before the "crisis". I have one beer about 4 times a week. when I used to only drink on the weekends. Now I barely even know what day it is!

I'm curious about the correlation between fruit and alcohol. :heart_eyes:

Fruit juice- no as it's expensive and doesn't count towards your 10 per day. Moreover, it contains far too much fructose minus the fibre.
Fruit- a few portions per day and at least one or two per meal and also as a snack. I eat berries all year around and can't think of any fruit that I dislike.
Alcohol- one glass of wine or cocktail as a pre dinner drink.

If I'm invited out for dinner or have guests over it's usually a cocktail as a pre dinner drink plus a glass of wine with the meal. However, over here most people don't offer guests cocktails so I usually will have 2 glasses of wine.

Back in the old days, it would usually be sharing a bottle of wine for two.:D

So, will I live a long and healthy life ? :rofl:.....Why shouldn't the answers not be honest ones?:(

Minimum fruit I'll eat in a day is some sort of berries with breakfast 1/2-1 cup and an apple. A banana with lunch, and some fruit, mango or pear at dinner.

On days I get up early, like today 2 AM I will often have an apple or two or if we have them a mandarin orange or two to tide me over till breakfast. If we have some dried fruit opened, like dates or raisins I can easily eat 1-2 cups through out the day. Grapefruit 1 a day when we have them.

Melons in season, a cantaloupe will last 2 meals with us each having a serving. Watermelon maybe 3 days if I'm conservative.
The one thing I can list by week is grapes, when they're a good price we usually buy about 12 lbs a week/ and sometimes my wife will actually get a 1/2 cup a day of that--often not that much. The grape count is in addition to any other fruit or meals I eat.

Not too much fruit juice. Usually there isn't any around the house and I have no problem eating the whole fruit.

Not too much alcohol anymore. I suppose I've had a small glass of wine maybe 4 times with my wife. On special occasions when we'll have Champagne, we'll split the bottle. Before we made any dietary changes, we'd split at least 1 bottle of wine, and often two. I literally don't remember the last time I had a beer, but must have had 1 in the last 4 years.

Why shouldn't the answers not be honest ones?:(

For fruit consumption, I don't expect anyone would lie, under-represent or exaggerate. Alcohol consumption (esp in excess), however is not exactly esteemed by most other people, which might tempt people to downplay anything that might be considered excessive.

Btw, I have an alcohol issue. I've had it for well over a decade. It's connected to my question but I'll wait a little until more people have answered.

For fruit consumption, I don't expect anyone would lie, under-represent or exaggerate. Alcohol consumption (esp in excess), however is not exactly esteemed by most other people, which might tempt people to downplay anything that might be considered excessive.

Btw, I have an alcohol issue. I've had it for well over a decade. It's connected to my question but I'll wait a little until more people have answered.

Well you could have chosen cakes or chocolate instead of fruit. :D

The other day my surgeon asked me whether I smoked or drank alcohol. I replied no to the first part and 'not enough' to the second part , which made him laugh.:cool:

All my family members drink and we also seem to enjoy pre dinner drinks more than wine with our meals.

All right. Anyone who's been here for a while or searched through my posts knows I have issues with alcohol. I've not tried to hide it. Some time ago I watched a video by a fruitarian who said that one of the (physiological) reasons some people drink too much alcohol is that they don't eat enough fruit. On that thought, I decided dinner one night (this was some time ago) was to be almost exclusively fruit - a whole lot of it. I remember it gave me a feeling similar to alcohol and I don't think I even drank/drank much that night.

I've looked, and I can't find any specific science literature correlating the lack of fruit intake and the tendency to over-indulge in alcohol. Just the general statements that alcoholics/heavy drinkers frequently have bad diets - lacking in fruits, vegetables, whole grains etc.

Well, I eat a fairly healthy diet(minus the alcohol - beer mostly, sometimes wine) , but I hardly eat fruit. Yes, every once in a while, like a smoothie or something, or if I make banana milk, but honestly it's pretty sparse in my diet most of the time. Mostly I stick to whole grains, seeds, legumes, vegetables/tubers on my daily routine.

Lately I've upped my fruit again. More purple grape juice, mostly. In the morning, in the afternoon. Sometimes at night. I've noticed my desire for alcohol has decreased substantially. I've also had some morello cherries, but that was only once. I got them for the melatonin content they're supposed to have.

Anyway, I've noticed a substantial decrease in desire for alcohol since doing this. I had just 2 beers last night and 5 the night before and I never have such small amounts when I drink, even after a meal.

So...this thread. I wanted to see if there was an anecdotal correlation, because I can't find anything in the science literature when I've looked.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
That's interesting.

I have berries with my oats in the morning, a smoothie maybe once or twice a week & the odd bit of sweet fruit here & there (guess avocados don't count as not sweet?)I'm more of a vegetable fan. 🤤

I barely drink, although have been pregnant/breastfeeding for a fair while now however this doesn't make much of a difference to me. The odd glass of wine or whatever is sometimes nice. :)