Freya - UK's Loneliest Dog

You're right but lots of people do have big dogs.
Yes, I guess it is because I was bitten by a German Shepherd dog as a teen. He leaped at me, going for my throat as I was getting out of my car, and I threw up my arm and he bit me in the upper arm. He didn't let go, despite many commands, until his owner had to kick him. I needed 20 stitches, still have the scars on my arm. It was my friend's dog, and he was known to not be trustworthy with bites, although he knew me and was usually nice to everyone.

My dad gave me the choice of whether pr not to sue, or to make sure they got rid of the dog, but I declined it all. A couple of years later, he bit a friend of mine in the face, and he needed hundreds of sutures. His handsome face is still scarred.

I love big dogs and grew up with them, but I also know that dogs who can't be trusted with children can be extremely dangerous.

I didn't see anything in the article that says she is dangerous around children, only that she needs an "adults only" home. That can mean any number of things - I see it applied to all kinds of animals up for adoption, including cats, rabbits, birds, etc. Some animals are nervous around children, because of the pitch of their voices, their quick, abrupt movements, etc. Some animals have been tormented by children in the past. (There are also animals who are posted as needing a female owner (having been abused by a man in the past.) In the case of birds in particular, it's not uncommon to find individual birds having a strong preference for either men or women, and not being very accepting of or comfortable around humans of their non-preferred sex.

Reactions: Tom L. and ledboots
Could she be a guard dog for a company or something where she was unlikely to encounter any children? And being capable of biting would be a part of the job description?

I have just read another article and apparently she suffers with epilepsy. This may explain the reason why most people don't want to adopt the poor mite.

Reactions: ledboots
The Article said:
Her condition requires medication and blood tests every three months and the centre is hoping it won’t put off potential owners.

My mother once adopted a blind cat suffering from heart condition from the shelter as she thought that she would have a very difficult time and needed a break. Unfortunately her condition worsened and she finally had to be euthanized about a year later.

My mother said that she was happy that she had been able to give her a good home for that year, but - on top of the bereavement after one short year - that it had been a challenge both time-wise and financially ... and that she would in the future likely not do that again, but rather adopt a "normal" shelter animal.

People might be willing to help rescue animals, but let us be honest, few people would actively search out the commitment to spend a few thousand Euros / Dollars on medical bills for an animal companion at the point of adoption.

Many rescue organizations will help to defray ongoing medical costs for animals who have an ongoing medical condition at the time of adoption. Often these animals are listed as "permanent fosters" so that the rescue can ensure that their medical needs continue to be met.

I used to run into the woman who runs the Great Pyrenees rescue from which I adopted my current Pyr frequently at the vet's. She would bring in some of the dogs she had adopted out with medical conditions* as well as the then current crop of rescues.

*If she thought someone was responsible and would provide a good home, but couldn't afford the ongoing care for an existing condition.

Epilepsy is kind of scary if you're not used to it, but manageable. My first dog as an adult had epilepsy. The first time she had a seizure, I thought she was dying. After that, I knew what was going on, and so it was no big deal. She was a great dog, and having epilepsy wouldn't put me off from adopting an animal I otherwise liked.

My sister and I are older, and we have already agreed that, when we are in a position to adopt again, we will only consider senior animals. That, of course, comes with its own kind of commitment.

The fact that Freya has epilepsy may well be why she is listed as being suitable only for an "adults only" home. My girl needed a quiet environment in order to minimize the number and severity of her seizures.

Of the five dogs I have, none would be suitable for a home with young children. Three are seniors, and need their peace and quiet. The Great Pyrenees is a child magnet because she's so fluffy, but she really doesn't like people hanging on her; like all Pyrs, she likes to live life on her own terms. That doesn't mean she's a "biter" as some have assumed from the "adults only" description of Freya, but my girl wouldn't be happy in a household with children. My fifth dog loves attention, but she's so high energy and strong that I would not trust her around children except under the closest of supervision. (Actually, I don't trust most dogs around most children, except under close supervision, because so few children have been taught how to be around animals. That makes for potentially dangerous situations.)

The fact that Freya has epilepsy may well be why she is listed as being suitable only for an "adults only" home. My girl needed a quiet environment in order to minimize the number and severity of her seizures.

Of the five dogs I have, none would be suitable for a home with young children. Three are seniors, and need their peace and quiet. The Great Pyrenees is a child magnet because she's so fluffy, but she really doesn't like people hanging on her; like all Pyrs, she likes to live life on her own terms. That doesn't mean she's a "biter" as some have assumed from the "adults only" description of Freya, but my girl wouldn't be happy in a household with children. My fifth dog loves attention, but she's so high energy and strong that I would not trust her around children except under the closest of supervision. (Actually, I don't trust most dogs around most children, except under close supervision, because so few children have been taught how to be around animals. That makes for potentially dangerous situations.)

Yes, dogs are like humans when they get older ; in need of peace and quiet. That is also the reason why dogs with medical issues in shelters, are hard to be placed. Few people will choose a dog willingly if it is ill due to the emotional and financial factors.

Most young children are always a bit spiteful to animals and will pull their tails or tread on their paws. Apparently I used to 'tortue' kittens by pulling their tails when I was a tot . Naturally, I don't remember this and have no idea why.

My male dog needed an adult-only home, I'm not sure what the reason was, but I said we don't even know any children so that wasn't a problem for us.:p

Many rescue organizations will help to defray ongoing medical costs for animals who have an ongoing medical condition at the time of adoption. Often these animals are listed as "permanent fosters" so that the rescue can ensure that their medical needs continue to be met.

Yes, I've seen that type of thing on adoption websites.