French vegan fest off the menu amid fears of butchers’ revenge

Blues

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
French vegan fest off the menu amid fears of butchers’ revenge

The French town of Calais has been no stranger to public disorder in recent years, with recurrent battles between police and migrants or striking ferry workers making headlines across the world.

But now the port town is facing a bizarre new threat, according to its council: an alliance of hunters and farmers seeking to take revenge on vegans bent on turning the largely carnivorous French off meat.

The risk of trouble was so great that the council decided to cancel a vegan festival due to be held in the town centre on September 8.

The move was the latest episode in an ongoing battle between vegan militants and butchers and other providers of meat in the north of France.

So far it has been radical non-meat eaters who have been on the offensive, vandalising several butchers’ shops in the region and elsewhere in recent months, prompting the French federation of butchers to issue a plea for police protection

The wording in the title makes it sound almost like a fun and entertaining incident - "butchers' revenge"! Oh my, now those darn militant hippie-vegans have finally gone one step too far, having angered the French butchers into taking action! Bring out the popcorn!

Whereas of course what is really happening is serious threats of violence, and a city council caving in to said threats of violence. So basically terrorism in the true meaning of the word, or perhaps the city council secretly hates vegans too, and just needed an excuse to shut down the vegan fest. I'm not sure what is worse.

And note that it's vegan militants (who want to take away your precious meat!) against an alliance of hunters and farmers. (I think 'Alliance' is a generally positively loaded word which could perhaps evoke associations of the famous Allied forces of WW2 or similar.)

But, that's the Telegraph for you, always keen to side with the most backwards and reactionary groups in society.

So basically terrorism in the true meaning of the word, or perhaps the city council secretly hates vegans too, and just needed an excuse to shut down the vegan fest.

I am pretty sure that about 97 % of the city council members are meat-eaters (as per the numbers given in the article).
Realistically, 100%.