Animal Rights Free turkey for Thanksgiving...

D

Digger

As in the past I've 'earned' a free turkey from my local store as a result of doing all my shopping there. They won't provide me any vegan alternatives... I have to take the turkey or nothing. I've already decided that I will take the turkey and give it to my mom. She's going to buy a turkey whether I give her this one or not.... so at least I'm saving her twenty bucks. Just wondering what the ethical dilemma here is, if any.

Frankly I think the store should be more willing to accommodate you. But if they are so set on giving away turkeys, I think your choice to give it to your mom is perfectly fine.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Thanks Chryssie, I'd love to get a free Tofurky out of them but that simply isn't an option.

I think your choice to give it to your mom is fine - you're not increasing the demand for dead turkeys by taking it, since your mom would buy one otherwise.

Reactions: Tom L.
What I don't really understand is the store being so adamant about giving a turkey. Do they give a good reason for this?

I think your choice to give it to your mom is fine - you're not increasing the demand for dead turkeys by taking it, since your mom would buy one otherwise.

This, and you're stiffing them $20, and while that's not a lot and I'm sure the store has budgeted for it, it would at least make *me* feel better that that is $20 less going towards turkey farming.

I think maybe they just have the promotion set up in advance with the turkey vendor... and are unable to make modifications to it.

I remember reading about certain grocery stores (Safeway maybe?) doing this last year. There was a requirement though that you had to spend $100 worth of food and then you would get a free turkey. Some stores were willing to substitute a tofurkey but not too many.

Years ago my company gave out turkeys, but would donate to food kitchens if you chose.
I think it's fine to give it to your mom, but I wonder if they'd offer the choice of donation.