Freaking Weird Israel Post Tweets

FortyTwo

Custom Title
Reaction score
tumblr_mdtep9t6qA1qbsnbjo1_500.jpg

:argh:

I don't get why those are "weird" tweets. I didn't appreciate some of the responses though. Most humans are very self centered and think theirs is the only suffering that matters.

Meh, I think it's okay to run a story on pets afraid of sirens, as long as the human side if covered properly as well. Which I doubt, but that's another discussion.

Kind of off-topic, but I heard the news baron Rupert Murdoch (one of Israel's foremost defenders) had some interesting tweets as well a couple of days ago where he critized the "Jewish owned press" for being anti-Israel:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...weets-jewish-newspapers-israel_n_2152490.html

Reactions: cornsail
I don't get why those are "weird" tweets. I didn't appreciate some of the responses though. Most humans are very self centered and think theirs is the only suffering that matters.

Agreed.

War/military conflict almost always exerts the highest toll on nonhumans.

>apples and oranges

Only in terms of time. I guess there's a magical point in time, before which invasion/conquest/taking someone else's territory is O.K., and after which moving into someone else's territory makes one an illegal state.

It's kind of a Republican notion though - I hear the same sort of sentiment expressed here in the U.S. by people upset at the upcoming Hispanic majority.

Only in terms of time. I guess there's a magical point in time, before which invasion/conquest/taking someone else's territory is O.K., and after which moving into someone else's territory makes one an illegal state.

It's kind of a Republican notion though - I hear the same sort of sentiment expressed here in the U.S. by people upset at the upcoming Hispanic majority.

I was thinking the same thing. Wish I could post a like more than once.

Only in terms of time.

Which makes for quite a large difference.

I guess there's a magical point in time, before which invasion/conquest/taking someone else's territory is O.K.,

I didn't say that.

What of it?

We should all go back home to Africa. Who's with me?

Can I have internet?

Can I have internet?

Nope. It was invented by the U.S. military (kind of), and was thus originally a weapon of war that, like most technologies before it, eventually became civilianized. Going back to Africa to return to our roots and then getting internet would therefore be sending the wrong message :p

I think a number of people would like to go back in a time machine and help native peoples all over the world who had new groups of people take over their colonies and oust them from their land. In fact perhaps that needs to be more of a priority: to help them now.

However this situation in Gaza and Israel is occurring now. It is not occurring 200 years ago like many of the similar situations referred to. Therefore people have more control and more influence on what is happening now in that region, to what happened 200 or more years ago.

I think a number of people would like to go back in a time machine and help native peoples all over the world who had new groups of people take over their colonies and oust them from their land. In fact perhaps that needs to be more of a priority: to help them now.

However this situation in Gaza and Israel is occurring now. It is not occurring 200 years ago like many of the similar situations referred to. Therefore people have more control and more influence on what is happening now in that region, to what happened 200 or more years ago.

I agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately it's easier to daydream about the past than it is to solve existing problems. How do you force cultural change onto someone whose thoughts have been infiltrated with fear, greed, hatred, and the need for revenge? This problem has been around at least since the advent of agriculture, and about 10,000 years of more or less continual violent conflict tells me it's not an easy problem to fix. Especially from where I stand, as an agnostic on the other side of the world unable to understand the stances either side has taken beyond the decision that the other side is wrong and needs to be eliminated in order for everything to be okay. That stance is familiar pretty much everywhere.

Things are going good in my neck of the woods for now so I'm enjoying some relaxation while it lasts. But my state of mind as I take a look at global events as they unfold is something along the lines of "Where is **** gonna hit the fan first, and am I going to end up dying in a foxhole there before heart disease,cancer, or a runaway bus with no breaks takes me down here?" I'm not optimistic in regards to the 21st century being much different than the 20th century (2 world wars and lots of smaller scale conflicts), but I'm not worried about it either because I guess that's just my nature :p

I don't understand why it's that weird. If a tragedy happens in England, our papers aren't cover-to-cover about that. It will be the headline story and have a large section inside, but there will still be the funny stories and the celeb gossip and the sports and so on. Why should Israel's paper be any different?

Just some thoughts for those of you who want Israel dissolved.

All of the people who were involved in the formation Israel in 1948 are dead or ancient. Almost everyone there today was born there, or was brought there as a child. They had no influence in the decision to live in Israel. Would you punish the children for the actions of the parent/grandparent in any other situation? If you still say yes, and you live in the U.S,. then you need to pack your bags and leave, because your ancestors took the country from the Native Americans.

And on a practical/logistical perspective...Where would they all go? Not all of them have the money needed to pick up and move. Are you going to push them out by force?

What Beancounter said.

Further, it's not as though what our ancestors took by conquest is ancient history, or even history at all - it's current events. Here in the U.S., the Native Americans still suffer from the actions not only of our ancestors, but from current governmental policies. The same holds true in Australia and other places where native peoples are greatly disadvantaged.

And all of us, for good and for bad, benefit from the success of our ancestors and suffer consequences from the losses of our ancestors.