France: Prostitution Legal, But Paying for It Is Criminal

I agree.

However, it makes sense to me as it moves the risk of criminal prosecution from the prostitute to the client.

If it was suggested that killing animals was allowed, however eating meat carried a penalty, this would also make sense to me, and I think it would certainly be a measure better suited to end the killing of animals for food than simply putting a fine on killing animals by hitting demand instead of supply. Of course, in the killing animals example, hitting both might be best.

The "sex purchase law" ("Sexkjøpsloven") went into effect in Norway in 2009 under the Labour-led government. Sweden has had a similar law since 1999.

The conservative parties and allies in Norway had vowed to abolish the law if they were elected. After they were elected, they hired an independent consultancy firm to analyse the effects of the law. The analysis showed that prostitution has decreased with 20 - 25% after the law was imposed. So the law stands, and the conservatives don't have quite enough support in parliament to abolish it anyway.

Reactions: Andy_T