Four foods for the Apocalypse - game

SuicideBlonde

Adorkable rockstar!
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
*Contains meat*
Here's the game: the world has ended. Everything's destroyed. Gone forever. The only thing left is you -- and the mansion, apartment, shack or house you live in right now. It's pretty sad.

But this apocalypse has a silver lining: somehow you have a magic refrigerator. This brilliant genius of an appliance holds a constant supply of salt, pepper, oil, flour and sugar -- and four other foods. That's where you come in. You get to choose those.

You can't choose just anything, though. Your four foods have to be simple ingredients, not composed dishes. Lettuce, not Caesar salad. Ground beef, not Chef Boyardee Beefaroni. Cream cheese, not the New York Cheesecake from Ruby Tuesday. Also, you can be vaguely concerned with health, but you don't need to fret if your four foods don't contain the daily recommended amount of selenium. It's the apocalypse -- you should treat yo'self.

One last thing: you'll get the same four foods for the rest of your life. So you should choose foods that you can combine into enough different dishes to keep you satisfied for the next several decades. Be ambitious! You'll have plenty of time to cook now that your office is a pile of rubble.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-satran/four-foods_b_4557019.html?utm_hp_ref=taste&ir=Taste

I think I would go for chickpeas, garlic, tomatoes and spinach. It is a very hard choice to make. What four foods can you make the most meals?

I think I would go for yeast (make all kinds of bread), soybeans (tofu and soy milk), probably rice, and then a veggie....either sweet potatoes or broccoli. I really wanted chocolate, because life isn't worth living without chocolate.

I may come up with a better combination later.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
I like that the person in the comments picked soybeans - good idea.

At first thought i'd go for a hot chili (because everything tastes better with chili in it and if I could never eat hot food again i'd be miserable), chickpeas, potatoes and tomatoes. potatoes can make loads (crisps, fries, mash, fritters, roast, boiled, use the flour to make gnocci), tomatoes just are tasty and good way to bulk things out (+ketchup), chickpeas because id make a poor man's hummus.

I'd want to be able to make pizza, mac and cheese, potato cheese

so
potato
vegan cheese
onion
pasta

maybe I could swap flour with tomatoes, and make my own pasta......I've only made pasta using eggs before.

maybe I could swap flour with tomatoes, and make my own pasta......I've only made pasta using eggs before.
It says there is an unlimited supply of salt, pepper, oil, flour and sugar. So, you would already have flour available to make pasta with.

Very easy. None of the pasta I eat has egg in it.

It's just flour, water and salt.

no, non of the pasta I eat has egg in either. But I'm not sure if it would be easy to make egg free pasta...maybe it is just a case of making the sort of dough and then shaping it an letting it dry?

How to make eggless pasta:

I think I want tomatoes instead of yeast. As much as I love bread, I would rather have pasta with tomato sauce. :lick:

Hmmm.. the magic fridge supplies salt, pepper, flour, oil, and sugar...

I'd want to swap salt, pepper, and sugar for garlic, celery/lovage, and sweet cherries, respectively, if I could. Cinnamon instead of pepper would also work... but then I'd probably want my sugar back.

I'd want either garbanzo beans or soybeans.
I'd want a leafy vegetable: spinach, mustard greens, turnip greens, broccoli.
If I wasn't able to sub sweet cherries for my sugar, then I'd want cherries. Otherwise, I'd want potatoes or tomatoes.
Finally, some kind of nut or seed... like cashews... or maybe sesame seeds! A simple flatbread made with the flour, oil, and sesame seeds would be quite nice. Maybe topped with cherries for breakfast; maybe made with lovage and garlic, and topped with garbanzo beans and sauteed veggies for lunch or dinner.

Okay- if I can't substitute any of the 5 original ingredients: garbanzo beans, a leafy veg, potatoes, tomatoes.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
I wish I could sub out the sugar & flour & salt for other stuff... I don't want them. And I want the oil be extra virgin olive oil.... LOL :p