Fortified Plant Milks better than Calcium Supplements?

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
I had read that calcium supplements are associated with decreased mortality. Now that I'm digging into low fat whole food plant based, I see that calcium fortified plant milks are all the rage.

Question: isn't that simply a calcium supplement dissolved in a tasty plant beverage? How is that any better?

Thanks,
Mike

A couple of things to keep in mind. quick review of Middle School Science. Calcium is an element. but the calcium we can buy is a compound. Usually calcium carbonate. Calcium citrate is more easily absorbed. but it is generally more expensive. Also it has less elemental calcium that carbonate.

When you look at the label of a calcium supplement it generally just gives the amount of the compound. Calcium carbonate is less than half calcium. Calcium citrate is less than a quarter calcium. The mRDA is 1300 mg of calcium. So you might have to do some math to judge how many tablets you need.

Also keep in mind that calcium can become toxic, You don't want over 2000 mg a day. BTW kidney stones can form if you consume too much calcium.

Calcium is not easily absorbed. it should be taken with food and a glass of OJ does help too. The acid in the OJ helps to dissolve the calcium.

Of course your best way to get calcium is in your food and many of my favorite vegan foods are rich in calcium. However, most of the calcium I get is from fortified soy milk. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for soy milk I would be calcium deficient.

The nice thing about fortified plant milks is that its good to get your calcium with food. so that is taken care of. Also its also good to get your calcium with Magnesium and vitamin d. and they add those to fortified plant milks too. Also its good to spread out your calcium intake over the course of a day so just having a glass of soy milk in the morning and another at night does the trick. Although the amount of calcium in plant milk varies. and how much you get in your diet varies too, so you might need 3 or even 4 glasses a day.

also if you like plant milks and drink it anyway then basically your calcium supplement doesn't cost you anything.

However, most of the calcium I get is from fortified soy milk. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for soy milk I would be calcium deficient.

Given the amount of calcium we should get, I often wonder whether or not people are getting enough. This is where the argument about food labelling does carry some weight - after all, people tend to think that milk provides calcium, yet not all plant milks are equal in that regard.