Animal Advocacy Forsaken Lives

Dedalus

Mercurial and fleeting
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A while back I enlisted the members of VV to help out with a video I was working on for a song I wrote called 'Forsaken Lives.' (See this thread: Factory Farming - your input requested.)

I'm finally ready to unveil the finished product! Have a look! Though the video is understandably disturbing - I have tried to keep the really graphic images and scenes to a minimum. This was quite difficult to do at the same time as attempting to enlighten viewers to the horrors that take place - so if you can't watch - I understand, believe me. It took me several months to edit this because I had difficulty at sticking with it for very long - it was just too emotionally draining. However, there are also lots and lots of wonderful pics of beautiful, magnificent creatures as well.

My goal was to put the beautiful and horrific images together side by side - along with images of the food people eat, and then some stats thrown in towards the end to form a collage. Consider it a multimedia assault on the senses of omnivores. I should probably just let it speak for itself and shut up.

A big THANK YOU to everybody here, and a special shout-out to those who contributed facts: Indian Summer, Crazy Cat Lady, MLP and Pickle Juice.

I must credit and give immeasurable thanks to the mighty Crow Caw as co-creator of this video. She bravely volunteered to scour the internets for most of the images used in the video. A task that I was grateful to have someone else do. It was hard enough to edit the video without having to browse through thousands of horrific images. Big hugs and kisses to you, CC.

If you cannot watch the video - I have also posted a link to just the song here:
Forsaken Lives - MP3

Words:
We drove through this land of blackened barns
Smoldering on the horizons
And the murderous stench of death smoked our eyes
As the houses stood slaughtering silence
Oh factory, factory
It will not close
To bring unto the waiting world
The foaming froth of tortured life
Salted flesh and milky swirls

These eyes don't lie
These are forsaken lives

You turn away
You can hide your head
You can claim ignorance and play mute
But the horrors take place even with your back turned
On your plate is served up the warm truth

There is no disguising the certain slow death
Exacted upon the downtrodden
From corporate
Dancing in the pools of the killing floor splashing
As the money and the blood
and the innocent come crashing down
As they pick up their knives
These are forsaken lives

It's no sacrifice to save a life
You can savor the taste of choice
Look into the eyes of those condemn to die
Rise up and give them a voice

These cries don't lie
These are forsaken lives
These eyes don't hide
They are forsaken lives

Last edited:
A while back I enlisted the members of VV to help out with a video I was working on for a song I wrote called 'Forsaken Lives.' (See this thread: Factory Farming - your input requested.)

I'm finally ready to unveil the finished product! Have a look! Though the video is understandably disturbing - I have tried to keep the really graphic images and scenes to a minimum. This was quite difficult to do at the same time as attempting to enlighten viewers to the horrors that take place - so if you can't watch - I understand, believe me. It took me several months to edit this because I had difficulty at sticking with it for very long - it was just too emotionally draining. However, there are also lots and lots of wonderful pics of beautiful, magnificent creatures as well.

My goal was to put the beautiful and horrific images together side by side - along with images of the food people eat, and then some stats thrown in towards the end to form a collage. Consider it a multimedia assault on the senses of omnivores. I should probably just let it speak for itself and shut up.

A big THANK YOU to everybody here, and a special shout-out to those who contributed facts: Indian Summer, Crazy Cat Lady, MLP and Pickle Juice.

I must credit and give immeasurable thanks to the mighty Crow Caw as co-creator of this video. She bravely volunteered to scour the internets for most of the images used in the video. A task that I was grateful to have someone else do. It was hard enough to edit the video without having to browse through thousands of horrific images. Big hugs and kisses to you, CC.

If you cannot watch the video - I have also posted a link to just the song here:
Forsaken Lives - MP3

Words:
We drove through this land of blackened barns
Smoldering on the horizons
And the murderous stench of death smoked our eyes
As the houses stood slaughtering silence
Oh factory, factory
It will not close
To bring unto the waiting world
The foaming froth of tortured life
Salted flesh and milky swirls

These eyes don't lie
These are forsaken lives

You turn away
You can hide your head
You can claim ignorance and play mute
But the horrors take place even with your back turned
On your plate is served up the warm truth

There is no disguising the certain slow death
Exacted upon the downtrodden
From corporate
Dancing in the pools of the killing floor splashing
As the money and the blood
and the innocent come crashing down
As they pick up their knives
These are forsaken lives

It's no sacrifice to save a life
You can savor the taste of choice
Look into the eyes of those condemn to die
Rise up and give them a voice

These cries don't lie
These are forsaken lives
These eyes don't hide
They are forsaken lives
Great lyrics but I'm too scared to watch...

It's strange, when you have endless thoughts and words circling 'round your brain - and yet, you're rendered speechless.
Goddamn it, this mighty beast of a song needs to be heard (and seen) by all. Needs to be.

mas·ter·piece
ˈmastərˌpēs/
noun
noun: masterpiece; plural noun: masterpieces
a work of outstanding artistry, skill, or workmanship.

Dedalus, you are art.

Reactions: KLS52 and Dedalus
Ok...normally I would not even attempt to watch something like this but because it is you, I did. :) I had to put my hand up and I peeked through my fingers but I watched and listened...and cried. It's phenomenal. You should be so proud. Great, great job!!

I want to see it "out there". Is there a plan to have that happen? Can I post it to my FB?

Reactions: CrowCaw and Dedalus
Ok...normally I would not even attempt to watch something like this but because it is you, I did. :) I had to put my hand up and I peeked through my fingers but I watched and listened...and cried. It's phenomenal. You should be so proud. Great, great job!!

I want to see it "out there". Is there a plan to have that happen? Can I post it to my FB?

Thank you so much KL! Yes - feel free to post anywhere! :hug:

...and cheers to you for braving the video. I could squeeze you so hard. Thank you thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrowCaw and KLS52
The lyrics are just simply beautiful. You are really a genius !

I can't quite pluck up the courage to watch the video. Just the photo of the poor cow is making me cry.

I'll post later.

You flatter me, but I thank you for the kindness. I'm no genius at all. Passionate - yes. :hug:

Reactions: CrowCaw
You flatter me, but I thank you for the kindness. I'm no genius at all. Passionate - yes. :hug:

Still a genius in my books ! It is so comforting to see that there are people who care so much for animals.

I'm sending the link to someone who wants to see the video. Yes, I know a person who wants to see it !

I'm just so sorry that I cannot view it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dedalus
I'm just so sorry that I cannot view it.

Don't be sorry, I understand. Trust. But if you like the lyrics, you can listen to just the song here:

Forsaken Lives - MP3
http://www.artneverdies.com/active-listening.html

To me - lyrics and words to songs all by themselves are like paintings in a museum - hanging on a wall waiting to be looked upon, interpreted, admired, understood. Alternatively, words put to music strut around the museum - they shake people by the lapels, punch them in the stomach, slap them in the face. They can infuse joy , inspire movement or level the blackest sorrow. Songs don't wait for a reaction - they demand one. Such is the power and magic of musical notes.

I'm too chicken to watch as well (I did kind of skim through though), but I did listen to the music and lyrics. They are perfect and heartbreaking.

I'm sharing the video on my Facebook as well.

Reactions: CrowCaw and Dedalus