Foolproof Seitan recipes/Tips/Techniques

So, The link you posted explains very well the wash the flower method of making seitan. It’s definitely more labor-intensive and time-consuming to make seitan in this manner. Right now I have time on my hands and I’m very intrigued by it. The least enjoyable part is incorporating your spices and flavorings into the dough. With your vital wheat gluten, all of the work has been done for you and it is so easy to mix in whatever ingredients you want to add. I think that will be my next endeavor.

I also think when I try WTF again I’m going to simmer it in my slow cooker. And I think I may need to wash out more of the flour. There seems to be a knack with that part in knowing not to wash out too little or too much.

I also saved the starchy water because apparently you can make “bacon” from it. It’s all quite fascinating to me. I’m sure that’s partly because I do not have a life right now, LOL.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
So, The link you posted explains very well the wash the flower method of making seitan. It’s definitely more labor-intensive and time-consuming to make seitan in this manner. Right now I have time on my hands and I’m very intrigued by it. The least enjoyable part is incorporating your spices and flavorings into the dough. With your vital wheat gluten, all of the work has been done for you and it is so easy to mix in whatever ingredients you want to add. I think that will be my next endeavor.

I also think when I try WTF again I’m going to simmer it in my slow cooker. And I think I may need to wash out more of the flour. There seems to be a knack with that part in knowing not to wash out too little or too much.

I also saved the starchy water because apparently you can make “bacon” from it. It’s all quite fascinating to me. I’m sure that’s partly because I do not have a life right now, LOL.

WTF= washed????? what??o_O

I've not read the recipe only your posts. Would the problem of it disappearing be due to the fact that there is too much liquid added to the dough?
I've never made it so don't have your expertise.

How does the end result compare to wheat gluten seitan?

It's easy to make 'bacon' with seitan or tofu, especially if you have an air fryer. I make it quite often when making salads.

WTF= washed????? what??o_O

I've not read the recipe only your posts. Would the problem of it disappearing be due to the fact that there is too much liquid added to the dough?
I've never made it so don't have your expertise.

How does the end result compare to wheat gluten seitan?

It's easy to make 'bacon' with seitan or tofu, especially if you have an air fryer. I make it quite often when making salads.
I did consider that maybe the dough had too much liquid but I did the 3 to 1 ratio. And viewing the “experts videos” mine looked exactly like theirs. But I may try making the dough a little drier next time.

So, yes...you make a ball of dough with flour and water. Then you “wash” out all of the starch and you’re left with the gluten/seitan. It was quite fun I have to say. I thought I would hate it lol. I’ve only done it this one time so I’ve lots to learn. Even when I don’t get the desired result, as long as it’s edible I’ll be happy.
I am going to try making seitan again with the VWG. I really want to add chickpea flour and maybe even some tofu.
It takes several “washings” of the dough. I think the more you do it you become familiar with how the texture should be. So you will know when to stop the washing. The water should by slightly milky looking, not completely clear.

• Informative

D55D158E-CD31-425B-A0C9-F38481DB9C6C.jpeg

I think I’m just in awe of the creativity and ambition. I think it’s great. I don’t know about the nutritional value of this. Probably not nearly as good as using seitan or tofu.

I haven’t liked the imitation bacon that’s available on the market. I’ve tried several. I usually go with smart bacon but I’ve lost the taste for it recently.

• Informative
I’m almost finished with the seitan I made so I might try making more today. I really enjoyed eating it just plain as a snack. Much better than reaching for junk food. I sliced it and over cooked it in the air fryer, intentionally. It was mostly crisp on the outside with just a bit of chewiness on the inside. A nice protein snack. I do want to keep trying to get more of a roast result. I might do the vital wheat gluten if I can find where I put it and if it hasn’t expired.

Reactions: shyvas and PTree15
I've never been much of a bacon fan, so I haven't really tried the imitation stuff. That would be a cool use of the starch water, though.

I definitely want to give the WTF method another go. I think I just need better flour.

Reactions: shyvas and KLS52
I've never been much of a bacon fan, so I haven't really tried the imitation stuff. That would be a cool use of the starch water, though.

I definitely want to give the WTF method another go. I think I just need better flour.
I hated pig bacon, loved Baco's and Morningstar bac'n strips since I was a kid. i was contemplating trying wtf again, and thinking about the starch bacn bits makes me want to--but I'm more in a baking mood than bac'n mood.

I was thinking of vwg ribz, like these with jackfruit-I have 3 cans and this is all i use it for!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52

View attachment 24216

That is far too complicated and time consuming. I just thinly slice tofu (I'm not a fan) season it with smoked paprika, onion powder plus salt plus a spray of oil before air frying until it is very crispy and brown. I then add a few drops of liquid smoke plus a sprinkle of yeast flakes and leave it to cool.

1618761336442.png

Tofu mock bacon.

I made the “brisket”. Unfortunately I thought I had barbecue sauce but I didn’t, so I’ll have to run out tomorrow and get some and finish cooking it. But it has an amazing flavor as is. I sliced some really thin to taste and I’m so excited. I can do this all the time now! I made a seitan roast that’s actually delicious!
Maybe I can Google for a barbecue sauce and make some.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15
I made the “brisket”. Unfortunately I thought I had barbecue sauce but I didn’t, so I’ll have to run out tomorrow and get some and finish cooking it. But it has an amazing flavor as is. I sliced some really thin to taste and I’m so excited. I can do this all the time now! I made a seitan roast that’s actually delicious!
Maybe I can Google for a barbecue sauce and make some.
Washed flour brisket?
I'm going to do it again this weekend, I bought better bread flour, so higher protein

Washed flour brisket?
I'm going to do it again this weekend, I bought better bread flour, so higher protein
No VWG and chickpea flour. I may not bother with WTF seitan again although I liked having that one sliced to snack on cold. And I did enjoy washing the flour.

No VWG and chickpea flour. I may not bother with WTF seitan again although I liked having that one sliced to snack on cold. And I did enjoy washing the flour.
I dislike adding chickpea flour 😝. When I first started seitan making I used it in every recipe, wondering what the weird taste was--it was chickpea flour 🤣. If my son didn't like it so much I probably would have quit!

Did you do anything with the starch water from your wtf?

Reactions: KLS52
I dislike adding chickpea flour 😝. When I first started seitan making I used it in every recipe, wondering what the weird taste was--it was chickpea flour 🤣. If my son didn't like it so much I probably would have quit!

Did you do anything with the starch water from your wtf?
Yes I remember you saying no to chickpea flour. I loved it in the seitan. I did 2:1 ratio so just a cup of chickpea flour. I think it was the seasonings that made it so good! And the texture is amazing. No sponginess. Baking it in the oven was perfect but it took a long time. The seasoned broth thickens and reduces and caramelized just like the video. I’m so excited. I’m going to do it again and maybe try adding some carrots and potatoes to the pan when the broth starts to reduce.

• Love
Oh and no...I did not end up using the starch water. I list ambition. Maybe next time.

Oh and no...I did not end up using the starch water. I list ambition. Maybe next time.
I did a very lame attempt at bak'n--too thick and not enough oil I think
I did use it for gravy, which was fantastic! With Better than Boullion no ckin, sage, rosemary, thyme, pepper. No rosemary for you 😝

I did a very lame attempt at bak'n--too thick and not enough oil I think
I did use it for gravy, which was fantastic! With Better than Boullion no ckin, sage, rosemary, thyme, pepper. No rosemary for you 😝
Lol no Rosemary sage or thyme! 😁

This is how I made the seasoning broth. I followed the video almost exactly.
Chick’n broth
Cooking Sherry
Oil
Sriracha
Tomato paste
Bragg’s aminos

Dry ingredients
Garlic
Onion
Black pepper
Nutritional yeast

I feel like I’m missing something but I need to sleep now. I’ll amend in the morning if need be.

This is how I made the seasoning broth. I followed the video almost exactly.
Chick’n broth
Cooking Sherry
Oil
Sriracha
Tomato paste
Bragg’s aminos

Dry ingredients
Garlic
Onion
Black pepper
Nutritional yeast

I feel like I’m missing something but I need to sleep now. I’ll amend in the morning if need be.

A basic vegetable stock (broth) contains :

Onions, garlic, celery leaves, parsley stalks, celery stalks,peppercorns, carrots,fresh bay leaves, salt. I always add a drizzle of evo and sometimes a 1/4 cup of white wine plus an anise star. Never add potatoes to stock as they make the latter cloudy/ starchy and spoil the taste.

• Informative