Foolproof Seitan recipes/Tips/Techniques

Mel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I used to make seitan, but seeing Gardein and other tasty alternatives in stores made me stop making it altogether. I have a full bag of vital wheat gluten, and since I am still looking for a job, I would like to save money by starting to make my own again.

So, like the title says, what are your foolproof recipes? :)

I haven't made it for a few years, I don't think.....best I did was boil the dough in little dumpling things,and then slice it and fry it in oil and Marmite......that was pretty good.....adding flavourings at the making dough stage just weakened the dough, so it was soft and not like meat, not that I've eaten real beef.

Here they are just in the oven. I forgot to take the pic before putting them in, but this was less than 30 seconds after. If they turn out good, I'll make a double batch next time and freeze some.
aee46e64c27beb11e71581ad2f7f99de.jpg

Reactions: 500channelsurfer
268842f2884a6e1395e2e80a286e59f7.jpg

Not the best photo, but they turned out ok. Good texture and nice flavour. A bit salty but not too much if you like that. Broth could be omitted in favour of water.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I am at work right now, but when I get home, I will post the one I always make. It's got poultry-type seasoning in it. I really like the flavor, and it's great in stir-fries and for buffalo nuggets.

Reactions: Mel
Here is the recipe I use. A couple of notes: The time spent kneading depends on how chewy I want the seitan. I like the wingz to be chewy, so I knead it for three or four minutes. Also, this is simmered rather than baked.

Chik'n stock

2 cups water
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons tamari (if I don't have tamari, I use Bragg's liquid aminos)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon celery seed

Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan and set aside while you make the seitan.

Basic seitan

1 cup instant vital wheat gluten flour
1 cup water

In a medium bowl, stir together wheat gluten and water until completely combined. Knead for about 3 minutes (or less if you want it less chewy). Shape the seitan into a short baguette (about 5 inches long). Cut in half lengthwise and then in half again crosswise. Cut or pull each quarter into 3 roughly equal pieces.

Bring stock to a boil. Stretch each "wing" a little before placing carefully into stock. Reduce heat to a very slow simmer and cover pot with lid. Let simmer for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes (or whenever you think of it), until broth has almost completely reduced. If it doesn't, no worries. (Pieces will expand, but shrink back down.) Use immediately or store in the refrigerator (for up to 6 days) or the freezer (for up to 6 months). .

I use the one from vegan with a vengeance. It's the only one I've ever used, so I can't say how it stacks up against other recipes, but I love the finished product.

Here is the recipe I use. A couple of notes: The time spent kneading depends on how chewy I want the seitan. I like the wingz to be chewy, so I knead it for three or four minutes. Also, this is simmered rather than baked.

Chik'n stock

2 cups water
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons tamari (if I don't have tamari, I use Bragg's liquid aminos)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon celery seed

Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan and set aside while you make the seitan.

Basic seitan

1 cup instant vital wheat gluten flour
1 cup water

In a medium bowl, stir together wheat gluten and water until completely combined. Knead for about 3 minutes (or less if you want it less chewy). Shape the seitan into a short baguette (about 5 inches long). Cut in half lengthwise and then in half again crosswise. Cut or pull each quarter into 3 roughly equal pieces.

Bring stock to a boil. Stretch each "wing" a little before placing carefully into stock. Reduce heat to a very slow simmer and cover pot with lid. Let simmer for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes (or whenever you think of it), until broth has almost completely reduced. If it doesn't, no worries. (Pieces will expand, but shrink back down.) Use immediately or store in the refrigerator (for up to 6 days) or the freezer (for up to 6 months). .
I made this recipe for my first try at making seitan. It was mushier than I expected, I guess you have to fry it after? Anyway, I fried it in some soy sauce and ginger and it was pretty good. :)

Reactions: PTree15
I made this recipe for my first try at making seitan. It was mushier than I expected, I guess you have to fry it after? Anyway, I fried it in some soy sauce and ginger and it was pretty good. :)
Yes, it can be mushy at times, though I prefer it to some of the more rubbery-textured recipes I've tried. I think it depends on how long you knead it as well. I do fry it up often in various sauces. It's especially great in hot sandwiches if you cut it up into small pieces or really thin pieces and top it with caramelized onions and buffalo sauce and vegan cheese. :p

I had a few pieces left and didn't want to just fry them up like I did with the rest. Looking around I found a huge bottle of barbeque sauce, I think one of my roommates friends brought it over and they never used it, so I dabbed some of that on, microwaved it, and it was delicious.

Reactions: PTree15